Valve Denies Possibility of Steam Trade-Ins

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
I don't think there's anything left to say to express my feelings about Pachter that hasn't already been expressed above. :D

Snork Maiden

Snork snork
Nov 25, 2009
Amnestic said:
Would be my guess. I can't see why Valve would offer this, but that would be my hypothetical guess as to how it might work.
I dunno, if you only got 30% or something of the price you bought it for and that was the difference between you buying a whole new game or not it's possible Valve could profit from that.

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
Haha.. i just knew this was to good to be true.. even coming from valve i knew this sort of thing did not make any sense at all..

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Well, a pointed lesson to the five creatures in this quadrant of the galaxy who still listen to Michael Pachter: Quit it.

Though Valve really should look into allowing me to gift my own copy of a game to someone else....

WolfLordAndy

Sep 19, 2008
Would never work in full practice, but if it could be linked in to auction accounts to each other with steam skimming some off of it. For example buying a TF2 account with loads of gear, or trading an EvE online account... not sure what other MMOs work via steam that it could do an auto trade (where steam changes passwords and holds money while they're being switched, etc.)

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
This guy no nothing about PC gaming...
I remember in PAX panel he said WoW might be already on Steam......
Seriously... Blizzard have battle.net...

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Well of course he doesn't remember saying that! The man probably picks topics out of a hat, fishes out a conjecture from his arse, and then puts them together to form a vacuous marriage of Delphic speculation that could make a weatherman look omniscient and an inflammatory nature backed by a thirst for tears. In short, Mr. Patcher needs to go back under his bridge.

Anyway, it is a shame no online trade-ins, but [from what I understand] Steam at least offers amazing deals.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Good god, if you put any faith into Pachter's predictions, you might as well base your decisions on the prophecies from the Oracle of Delphi. At least there they have a few thousand years of experience... :p

Pachter knows crap about games and gaming. His one achievement in life was convincing people who also don't know anything about gaming that he knows more than them, which isn't a very difficult task. His predictions sound good to people who sign his paychecks and that's as far as he cares.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
Lillowh said:
Am I the only one that Remembers Green Man Gaming [http://www.greenmangaming.com/], which does just what Patcher is talking about (while still giving money to devs) [http://www.joystickdivision.com/2010/01/green_man_gaming_digital_trade.php]?
Seems Like.

But Hey, THANKS for telling me about it, Lillowh! :)
B.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
WhiteTigerShiro said:
/yawn

Another article about Prachter, another topic filled with people hating on him. Same ole, same ole.
He is being particularly stupider than usual.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Woodsey said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
/yawn

Another article about Prachter, another topic filled with people hating on him. Same ole, same ole.
Yeah, that's how they reply in every article. Also, in before obligatory "that's because he gets dumber by the day" response. Yeah, see what I mean? I even know how you were going to reply. =P

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Woodsey said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
/yawn

Yeah, that's how they reply in every article. Also, in before obligatory "that's because he gets dumber by the day" response. Yeah, see what I mean? I even know how you were going to reply. =P
So what, you think he makes worthwhile predictions?

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Good. Even if it could work, it would still be a lame idea since Valve would effectively hold a monopoly on the used market. As much as people harp on about GameStop (which is getting annoying, quite frankly), it's not like you are obligated to sell your used games there.

Of course, Valve can do something even better and allow people to untie retail copies from their accounts so they can sell them. But hey, we wouldn't want people to actually be able to utilise their legal rights now, would we?