Valve Dev Claims Steam Makes PC and PS3 "One Big Happy Family"

warm slurm

Dec 10, 2010
lol PC gamers will not want to play with PS3 gamers, sorry. and why would i want to play co-op with some random person on the PC? i have friends.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
This assuming PC gamers will actually go through the trouble of linking their PSN accounts. I can't even remember mine anymore XD haven't had to turn on my PS3 in close to a year or whenever Red Dead Redemption came out.

To think that Rockstar is the only reason i'll turn it on again with LA Noir.

Mar 9, 2010
I'm hoping for games that you purchased for PC to be compatible with a console, then I can finally play some games I bought in anticipation of a better PC being on it's way. I also hope for this to come to the 360, however I doubt it will.

krychek57

Some Random Dude
Apr 13, 2010
warm slurm said:
lol PC gamers will not want to play with PS3 gamers, sorry. and why would i want to play co-op with some random person on the PC? i have friends.
Except for those who own a PC and PS3 and game on both. >_>

I have a list of steam friends and I have a list of PS3 friends. They are not 100% the same list, hell they are not %50 the same list.

Now I have more opportunity to play Portal 2 with more of my friends.

Think past the scope of generalization (stereotypes?).

Sgt Pepper

Dec 7, 2009
krychek57 said:
warm slurm said:

I have a list of steam friends and I have a list of PS3 friends. They are not 100% the same list, hell they are not %50 the same list.

Agreed, I don't have a PS3, I am on PC, but I have friends that do have PS3s or that prefer to play certain games on PS3 rather than PC. Therefore, this is a good thing.

As someone commented before, cross platform gaming has been possible for a long time (I'm a former FF11 player myself) but seeing Valve take this on means it might finally start to really gain traction.

This, along with the recent news of Bethesda looking to get Skyrim mods onto consoles, points to a possible coming of age in the industry.

I can see a slight downside for Sony - after all, if PC gamers start being able to play online with PS3-owning friends there's less incentive for them to pick up a PS3 themselves, but it's certainly good for developers and players and the general industry on the whole.

That said, there's a definite advantage for Sony if Microsoft fail to get onboard so I'm interested in how Microsoft respond towards Valve and Bethesda.

warm slurm

Dec 10, 2010
krychek57 said:
warm slurm said:

I'm not generalizing. Why would you a majority of PC gamers want to play with people on the PS3, or vice versa, when PC gamers have a clear advantage? Sure, it's co-op, but still.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
ANImaniac89 said:
Does this mean that PS3 will get the Left 4 Dead games anytime soon?
I'd love this. I don't have a PC anymore and can't afford one, and I just sold my Xbox which I only played this game on.

This sounds amazing, let's get the PSN up and running first -_-

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Chrono212 said:
But doesn't this remove the competition in the market if everyone is just running the same thing?

Monopolies only benefit Uncle Moneybags the companies and not the consumers.
That's why it's a good thing that MS said no to steam. They don't really need it anyway. MS gets some pretty good support on its own.
After seeing steam run smooth on the ps3 and the latest psn fiasco, I'm thinking Steam should just take it over.
That last line would've made absolutely no sense a year ago except for that even back then it was obvious that sony is incapable of supporting the ps3/psn properly - the leap year fiasco happened about a year ago didn't it?

beema

Aug 19, 2009
Except how you have to have both a PSN account and a Steam account to play with each other. Which means when I'm on my PC, I can't play with my PSN friends since they don't show up on my Steam friends list unless they bother to make a Steam account, which a lot of people on PS3 don't want to deal with.

However I will say, since I bought the ps3 version and the Steam copy was taking forever to download, I co-op'd on my ps3 with a PC steam friend for a few hours on day one. It worked pretty well. Neither of us had any trouble (well, except for when I wanted to type something, but once I got my bluetooth headset to work it was ok). There was no "advantage" one way or the other. I personally hate the fuck out of thumbsticks when it comes to games where you have to aim, but it wasn't so bad because all the targets are stationary.

butil mensional

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Yeah... bout that. I had problems with my steam for the past week, and only just yesterday got it fixed (thanks to the Steam support team, thank you guys.) Turns out when I turned steam back on, it asked if I was on a PS3. It works finally, but I have the feeling PC and PS3 gamers yelling at eachother is going to be the least of the problems...

krychek57

Some Random Dude
Apr 13, 2010
warm slurm said:
krychek57 said:
warm slurm said:

I'm not generalizing. Why would you a majority of PC gamers want to play with people on the PS3, or vice versa, when PC gamers have a clear advantage? Sure, it's co-op, but still.
Outside of FPS there isn't much advantage, if any; so the move to this style of integration is great.

Also, CO-OP: It is the point.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
I'm sure it would bring PC and PS3 users together... if PSN was actually online. Hopefully Sony can get that fixed.

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
Jordi said:
When you buy a game on Steam, do you get it for both PC and PS3, or are there still separate "games" for both platforms? In other words, if I use Steam to buy Portal 2 "for PS3", can I then also download and play it on my PC?
Yes. You can actually return/trade the game in and keep the Steam copy for Macs and PCs. What you can not do however, is play co-op with one person on the PC and one of the PS3 with the same copy- it's linked to your Steam ID.

Chrono212 said:
But doesn't this remove the competition in the market if everyone is just running the same thing?

Monopolies only benefit Uncle Moneybags the companies and not the consumers.
What do you mean? Currently the console business model only allows for one network client per console. Each is tightly controlled by the big three console manufacturers. Wii Shop Channel, Playstation Network, and Xbox Live are the definition of monopolies.

Steam could very well mean the end of that. But currently it's inclusion into PSN doesn't compete with it. It is an app run through PSN, and has to adhere to regulations set by Sony. It also doesn't have the feature to buy games and play games on the PS3 through the Steam Store and the only thing we can play on it right now is Portal 2.

NoseDigger

Aug 25, 2009
Can't wait for L4D2 (or L4D, either is fine) to be cross platform for PC vs PS3 showdowns.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Really...

So.

Howzabout getting some PS3 games on PC, eh, guys? I wouldn't mind seeing Uncharted over here...

Barring that, could you at least use this as an opportunity to port some PS2 classics over here, like Sega did with that Dreamcast multi-release? Or is this going to be all give and no take for us?

Seriously, though, Sony, this represents quite an opportunity for you. With Microsoft off playing with its Kinectoys, lots of us in the PC crowd would be more than willing to declare undying loyalty to a major company that gives us a little attention. You know the kind of loyalty Valve gets right now? (Discounting the angry-fanboy response to Portal 2)

That's what's on offer here. Do yourself a favor and take it, ok?