Valve Dev Claims Steam Makes PC and PS3 "One Big Happy Family"

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
z3rostr1fe said:
And to complete the family, why don't you give us Steam for Linux, eh? :D
if some kind soul ported steam's entire library to linux, i would happily abandon windows for greener pastures...

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
good thing they didn't took the 360!
and I hope they never will, most of the on-line players of the 360 are 12 yo,s.
I am looking forward to Valve expanding this to TF2.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Well, it would be more convenient if PSN wasn't down. Good thing I got Portal 2 for PC instead. :)

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
yup PC players can jump right in and play with there... oh that's right PSN is down.

I don't see this whole thing working

Paul The Best

Aug 20, 2008
I've always been left with the impression that cross-platform play wasn't limited by hardware technology, but by the at-large gaming community's relentless debate on balance of gameplay with respect to varying input devices.

Cross-platform play will be best realized with co-operative based games. These games typically remove that debate between gamers' input preferences as they are now in an environment of co-operation (natch) and not competition.

Edit: fix punctuation

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
I thought Valve hated working for the PS3, wasn't their an article saying it was a terrible system to programme for?

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
warm slurm said:
lol PC gamers will not want to play with PS3 gamers, sorry. and why would i want to play co-op with some random person on the PC? i have friends.
Why would I as a PC gamer want to play with some random kid on a PS3? I have friends.

[/sarcasm]

PC players have friends too, you didnt realize that there is a huge social network thing going on with PC's? that PC has had instant messengers for over 10 years, voice comunication for as long? can you say the same for console? no. stating that everyone on PC plays against or with random strangers is idiocy. cross platform gaming is fine and opens more opurtunity to play with more friends and allows for more friendship creation. and as a PC gamer I would have no issue playing a co-op game with a console player. I would have an issue playing a FPS against one if he has aim assist that acts just like an aimbot otherwise theres no problems.

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Let's just hope, unlike Microsoft's venture, this doesn't rely too much on FPS titles. ^_-

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2010/07/nomnom.jpg
Epic pic. Just epic.

henritje said:
good thing they didn't took the 360!
and I hope they never will, most of the on-line players of the 360 are 12 yo,s.
I am looking forward to Valve expanding this to TF2.
Unlikely. Valve is in direct competition with MS and destroying them on PC. It's unlikely that MS would allow Valve to dip into their platform.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Pingieking said:
It's unlikely that MS would allow Valve to dip into their platform.
<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109460-Fable-3-Coming-to-Steam>*ahem*

HOLY GOD-DARNED CAMEL SPIT, MICROSOFT ARE SLEEPING WITH THE ENEMY. - Alec Meer

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Ldude893 said:
<youtube=D7A16ddT-jM&feature=related>

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
<youtube=FUaKxFjlOpw&feature=player_embedded>

Always, I wanna be with you, and make believe with you, and live in harmony harmony...

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
WilliamRLBaker said:
So thats why Portal 2 on ps3 can use keyboard and mouse right? oh it can't lol Valve pretty much assured no pc portal player will want to play coop with a ps3 user.
Because Portal is one of those fast-paced action games that demands exact percision that only a mouse/keyboard can handle and that consoles "auto-lock" feature cannot simply handle?

Forgive me, but I thought portal was a game where you threw portals around and used physics to solve various puzzles. Which neither relies on speed or extreme accuracy. Never failed a puzzle in portal because I was an 8th of an inch off. You make it sound as though using a controller is like having an arm lopped off, and therefore rends you unable to perform the basic function of moving, or aiming for a general location.

BUT HEY, thats just me. Using logic and non-PC-elitist mentalities. But Im also one of those people who doesnt have a problem controlling a character with either function, because the difference is pretty negligible.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
As someone who just recently got into Steam/PC gaming, I'd love to see a merge between Steam and PSN
I use PS3 for the majority of the time as I don't really have the greatest gaming computer in the world, so it can't run the higher end games, but being able to game on PS3 while connected to and playing off Steam would be perfect.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
I will be cackling madly if this makes PC/PS3 cross platform more popular than Microsoft's Xbox/PC cross platform under the always terrible GFWL.

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
WilliamRLBaker said:
So thats why Portal 2 on ps3 can use keyboard and mouse right? oh it can't lol Valve pretty much assured no pc portal player will want to play coop with a ps3 user.
Have you played the official Portal series?
Those games are less twitch gaming and more problem solving. I see no problems with people playing with each other on this type of game. Portal 2 isn't like all the trailers that they released. It doesn't require twitch type gaming. Every trailer they released is a god damn lie and even worse... the dev commentary in the game tells you they had to dumb down and slow the game play because their testers are a bunch of idiots.

People on the PC playing People on the PS3 is not going to see any difference between the two. We are both going to yell at each other for being unable to think cooperatively.

Your argument could only hold firm for the Portal 1 mods like Portal Pro if it was co-op and multi-platfrom.

I hope this will help bury microsoft's demon spawn, Game for Windows Live.