Valve Expanding Steam's Currency Options in 2014

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Valve Expanding Steam's Currency Options in 2014

Valve will be adding 12 new national currencies to Steam's payment options this year.

One of the more challenging things about running an online storefront that crosses borders has to be dealing with all the varying payment methods and currencies that the world's nations bring to the table. That in mind, Valve has announced that it will be taking steps in 2014 to be more inclusive of a variety of world currencies to make it easier for its international customers around to shop and enjoy games through Steam.

According to a captured presentation slide from Steam Dev Days, the company will be integrating new native currency options to support customers in Australia, New Zealand, Indonesia, The Phillipines, Malaysia, Thailand, Japan, Mexico, Canada, Turkey, Ukraine and Norway. Currently 75 million users around the world.

What we're wondering is whether or not the listed countries will represent the full extent of the currency additions for 2014, or if Valve perhaps has plans to expand Steam's options to include even more nations than these. We've reached out to Valve for further comment and will offer updates as they become available.

Source: <a href=http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-01-16-valve-adding-12-new-currencies-to-steam-this-year>GamesIndustry International

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I've only ever used paypal, it's simpler then fiddling around with a credit card. However I was expecting news along the line of "Valve now accepting BitCoin." So I'm a little suprised.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
Not sure whether I'm happy about this or not. Pretty much wait and see for whether it affects prices.

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
I'm wary of this. There are always such huge difference in the prices we pay for things here in Canada and the American prices for things so I'd rather pay in USD. I fully expect to see huge price difference in the CAD prices for games and the USD prices incongruent with the exchange rate.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
Hopefully they'll actually have a real currency conversion that gives the correct prices and not some dumb 1:1

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
porous_shield said:
I'm wary of this. There are always such huge difference in the prices we pay for things here in Canada and the American prices for things so I'd rather pay in USD. I fully expect to see huge price difference in the CAD prices for games and the USD prices incongruent with the exchange rate.
This is my worry as well. I wish they'd just charge USD for everything like Good Old Games does. The price discrepancy between USD and GBP usually isn't awful, but it's pretty much always noticeable, and tends not to be equivalent to the exchange rate. Hopefully they won't use this as an opportunity to carry on screwing over everyone who lives in Australia.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
The already bad Australia tax on Steam is about to get a whole lot worse...

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
Will they scale prices according to each respective market they intend to target? Because if they want to retain flat prices throughout all regions it seems kinda counter productive.

mindfaQ

Dec 6, 2013
Give Bitcoins, Valve. As I am living in ?-Country, this update does not change much for me, I guess.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Evil Smurf said:
I've only ever used paypal, it's simpler then fiddling around with a credit card. However I was expecting news along the line of "Valve now accepting BitCoin." So I'm a little suprised.
I was expecting the same. However, I won't accept these new funding options as legit unless they ALSO include Coinye West.

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
james.sponge said:
Will they scale prices according to each respective market they intend to target? Because if they want to retain flat prices throughout all regions it seems kinda counter productive.
Steam prices already vary by region, usually due to publisher agreements with retail in different countries.

You can use http://www.steamprices.com/ to see where some of the worst discrepancies are.

A lot of the prices are reasonably fair, and we do actually get some games cheaper. An example, Steam will charge an American $39.99 for Black Ops but for some reason it will set us Australians back $89.99.

Ace O'Hagen

May 28, 2013
but I don't want CAD available on Steam, that means they'll start charging me GST like Origin does. I hate paying GST on digital purchases. Thanks, Harper.

kurokotetsu

Proud Master
Sep 17, 2008
You all complian, when ehere at Mexico we have it worse. Higher prices thatn anywhere (90 bucks the AAA games) and less income in general. So please, please Steam, do not screw us over like all other retailers. We also not usually have Sales in videogames. There is a reason you are my main source for game now, I can get them at a fai price and take advantage of sales. If this goes out the window then I will be gaming less, much less. PLease Steam, remain fair with poor Mexico.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
Lizardon said:
james.sponge said:
Steam prices already vary by region, usually due to publisher agreements with retail in different countries.

You can use http://www.steamprices.com/ to see where some of the worst discrepancies are.

A lot of the prices are reasonably fair, and we do actually get some games cheaper. An example, Steam will charge an American $39.99 for Black Ops but for some reason it will set us Australians back $89.99.
The thing I'm curious about is that Central/Eastern Europe has a totally different pricing model as far as PC games go, if Valve decides to expand their currency options there and at the same time bring those prices to "European standards" (i.e. 50 euro per new game) they'll be facing an uphill battle with retailers who offer same titles for 35.

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
james.sponge said:
Lizardon said:
james.sponge said:

The thing I'm curious about is that Central/Eastern Europe has a totally different pricing model as far as PC games go, if Valve decides to expand their currency options there and at the same time bring those prices to "European standards" (i.e. 50 euro per new game) they'll be facing an uphill battle with retailers who offer same titles for 35.
I think steam already did something for that. You see, europe is divided into 2 tiers. Tier 1 usually pays more than tier 2 does. And it's already ridiculous enough that these games have a 1:1 currency value.

However, in this quote, steam is probably not setting the prices, but the publishers. They provide this service for clients, consumers and business alike. I'm not sure how steam does it with sales, if that's in the agreement, but they don't set the majority of the price.

Is what I think anyway.

OT: Those countries will just get screwed. they'll pay the same or even more than the USD. I wonder if it's possible to oppose this practice at all...