Valve Gifts Complete Collection to Portal 2 ARG Completists

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Valve Gifts Complete Collection to Portal 2 ARG Completists

Players that earned a golden potato from the Portal 2 ARG also earned every game Valve has ever made.

Valve's Valve Complete Pack [http://www.amazon.com/Portal-2-Playstation-3/dp/B003O6E3C8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303325492&sr=8-1].

The Valve Complete Pack is a Steam bundle that includes every game Valve has ever released. Some of these titles include Ricochet [http://www.amazon.com/Half-Life-Game-Year-Pc/dp/B00001KUII/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1303324014&sr=8-6].

Destructoid confirmed that the Valve Complete Pack was awarded for holding a golden potato, a special spud earned in the ARG by acquiring all 36 possible potatoes. Some of these were much tougher to get than others. For example, in Cogs [http://www.amazon.com/Super-Meat-Boy-Ultra-Pc/dp/B004NS77OM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1303324883&sr=1-1], players had to figure out a strange puzzle involving glyphs that seemed impossible unless you'd been following the mysteries of the ARG.

To anyone complaining that Valve was trying to drain fans of money with the ARG and the Potato Sack, what do you think now? This is an amazing reward, and just icing on the cake for fans that probably had a ton of fun discovering the secrets of GLaDOS and Portal 2. Not to spoil it, but the whole potato thing is eventually explained in Portal 2, just in case you thought Valve lost its mind.

Source: Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/valve-complete-pack-given-to-golden-potato-owners-199181.phtml]

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
The weird thing is, I just bought the pack cause it was a good deal. Then suddenly GLaDOS started messing with all my games. I was not happy. Well, maybe a little =D

Zedar0

Should probably make use of this
Aug 12, 2009
I would definitely note that any duplicates, including Portal 2, have become gift copies now, as quite a few golden potato owners already had at least 90% of the Valve Pack and as a result were just a bit upset over this (especially when they suddenly received a useless free copy of a game they had already paid for). All's well now, though.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
LavaLampBamboo said:
The weird thing is, I just bought the pack cause it was a good deal. Then suddenly GLaDOS started messing with all my games. I was not happy. Well, maybe a little =D
I bought it BECAUSE GLaDOS started messing with all the games... And also because 13 games for $38 is a huge steal and there's no way I could turn that down, espescially since I had been considering buying several of them anway

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
I hate Valve, but even I think this is generous. $35 to get a pack that's valued over $80 is indeed a good deal.

greenflash

Jul 13, 2010
Kalezian said:
Skizle said:
I hate Valve, but even I think this is generous. $35 to get a pack that's valued over $80 is indeed a good deal.

buying the pack in itself is nearly $100 USD, buying each game individually is somewhere around $180 usd, so............ yea, huge discount if you were brave/stupid enough to go through the ARG.

And yet....... all I can think of is............ If the golden potato became a weapon in TF2...........
A Golden potato gun!

Jul 22, 2009
IS this all still going on?

I plan to buy the potato sack and I haven't so far due to severe lack of funds... it'd be nice to have the complete Valve pack as a nice extra if I get round to completing extra challenges.

However I won't be too upset if not, I'll be too busy playing Killing Floor to care.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Serves well those assholes that said that they were tricked on buying the Potato Sack just to get the game earlier.

Rukishou

Mar 18, 2011
Is it still possible to collect the potatoes and if so can you still get the complete pack? I already have most if not all Valve games available on Steam (which I assume covers all of them) but I'd like to have those potatoes.

I don't have the potato sack yet but, unless the offer expires tonight, I'm planning to buy it because it's a pretty damn good deal. :p

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
This really pissed me off, because I missed the deadline by 8 potatoes. Because it was released early, it was released in the middle of the night in the UK where it would have been released midday and given me plenty of time to get them all.
I did have all the games, but missing out on an extra 24 games to add to by gifting list is really frustrating.

I should sent a package to Valve with 35 potatoes and one painted gold, just for lulz.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
has any explanation been given for the potato auxiliary power countdown still going on the glados@home page?

ultimateownage

Feb 11, 2009
Rukishou said:
Is it still possible to collect the potatoes and if so can you still get the complete pack? I already have most if not all Valve games available on Steam (which I assume covers all of them) but I'd like to have those potatoes.

I don't have the potato sack yet but, unless the offer expires tonight, I'm planning to buy it because it's a pretty damn good deal. :p
Nope. I tried getting the rest after the deadline but even if you get the page that gives you them, the amount on your profile doesn't change. If Valve were giving out all of their games for free for doing something you could still achieve they would be really bad with money.

ultimateownage

Feb 11, 2009
Ne1butme said:
has any explanation been given for the potato auxiliary power countdown still going on the glados@home page?
The number reflects the amount of people playing Portal 2.

Reynaerdinjo

Feb 5, 2010
"Not to spoil it, but the whole potato thing is eventually explained in Portal 2, just in case you thought Valve lost its mind."

I didn't want to know this. :(

dryg

Feb 8, 2009
At first I went crazy since I already owned every valve game and heard that it included Portal 2. I preordered it at a retail store and activated it the day before release. I was considering to never preorder a valve game again when there is a arg going on since I could have gotten it for free. Then after about 14 hours I got giftcopies of them and I was happy again :D

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
"To anyone complaining that Valve was trying to drain fans of money with the ARG and the Potato Sack, what do you think now?".

Well considering a lot fo the games required those potatoes i wouldn't be suprised if those players already owned all those games in the complete pack and find it was just a waste of a prize.

Retodon8

Jun 25, 2008
I wonder how many got all the potatoes (I got 11 with some effort spread across a couple of days).
Some were pretty hard to get, unless you were familiar with the game beforehand, and/or had unlocked a bunch of levels already.
Simply being really good at games would also suffice.
I didn't even attempt some because it would mean I would have to rush through the game, and I prefer to play the games at my own pace, and enjoy them.
Also I have a lack of hard disk space at the moment.

However many you are, congrats on winning the gold potato and games!

In case anyone is actually complaining as suggested in a few place: Buying the Potato Sack wasn't obligatory.