Valve Guy Says British Gamers Need to Speak Up

Jarek Mace

Jun 8, 2009
Half of us are silent because if your around Americans it is almost always, no lies...
"Hey, are you BRRIIITISH or SUMFINK?"

"Urmm...yes."
"HAHAHAHAHA, WE SAVED YOUR ASSES IN WW1 AND WW2."

*Switches off console*

Nhilus

Jan 18, 2009
I'm a Brit and I think this is going on a pure ratio, from my experiences me and my mates and pretty much all Brits I have met on games focus on whats happening with the occasional shouts of "behind you" or "Cover me whilst I help out [player name]" but nearly all the Americans I have played online with have either decided that because I sound British thats a reason to ridicule me or haven't shut up long enough for me to get a word in edge ways.

GBlair88

Jan 10, 2009
Chipperz said:
I think being asked if we want tea and crumpets every time we talk makes us less inclined to the whole idea.
Agreed, though a good response would be 'Do you want some lard/McDonalds/Starbucks? How about half a cow in a bun with a skip of fries and a gallon of coke?'
The Europeans seem to be just as bad as they shout random crap down the mic that you can't even understand. Don't mean to sound racist with that statement, it's just that I only speak English and some limited French.

UberMore

Sep 7, 2008
This guy's clearly never played in a server with me or my friends, or a UK server EVER; you can't move in Killing Floor for the amount of chat we make and, thanks to it, we've survived many a-round and I've probably tripled my Friends List.

UberMore

Sep 7, 2008
Nhilus said:
I'm a Brit and I think this is going on a pure ratio, from my experiences me and my mates and pretty much all Brits I have met on games focus on whats happening with the occasional shouts of "behind you" or "Cover me whilst I help out [player name]" but nearly all the Americans I have played online with have either decided that because I sound British thats a reason to ridicule me or haven't shut up long enough for me to get a word in edge ways.
Also this, this is the reason we Brits don't talk.
And by the sounds of it, I'm guessing me and Nhilus've probably played in the same server a thousand times and never realised it.

IxionIndustries

Mar 18, 2009
Us? Teamwork? Whaaaat?

Clearly valve has not heard how we speak on live/vent/whatever...
I must agree with the whole "Vow of Online Silence".. People from the U.S. are idiots most of the time.

mGoLos

Nov 7, 2007
Godamnit I hate talking to an empty room; It's just not gonna happen. F*** you Valve, finish half-life damnit! FINISH IT!

/rant

Low Key

May 7, 2009
When I let my friend play one of my Xbox games online, he specifically wanted to use the mic just to talk shit. It's not that Americans are trying to rag on Brits because they are Brits, that's just how we play video games in America. We talk shit in an attempt to throw people off of their game. Especially with FPS's, it's a competition.

I'd be willing to bet MMO's don't have nearly as much trash talk from Americans. In fact, when I played an MMO, a couple of Australians decided to try and rag on me because I didn't know the specifics of how to play.

It's one of the reasons why I don't play with a mic, simply because I don't like trash talk. But when I do for things like reaslism mode or hardcore mode, I am ready to talk shit back.

BurroDiablo

Mar 5, 2009
I use this name for most things and get shit for being Mexican, even though I'm Scottish. Always ready to verbally abuse people right back though, other than that, I rarely speak because people generally can't understand a word I say... even though I'm pretty well spoken for a Scot.

Fniff

Apr 15, 2009
lazy_bum said:
'clog up our servers with their foriegness and stupid accents'.

That is.

THE MOST RETARDED THING I HAVE EVER HEARD.

God,Valve,please. Let us use the CHAT WINDOW! I hate those stupid headsets,I hate it when your ears get sore from wearing the damn thing and I hate it when your voice is half static anyway!

forty_licks

Jul 9, 2009
Being British and female, when I talk in game I feel like I have a bulls eye in the centre of my forehead :(

Seriously people can be mean, no matter where they're from. Doesn't hurt to be polite. I'm all for working together, but I'm not for abuse from strangers about my gender/accent/history of country. I get that enough during my PT job.

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
Quick Ben said:
I wonder where they have that from. Almost every time I've played L4D with British people they've been very talkative.
It's because killing zombies is a British pass time!

CovertCell

Nov 4, 2009
I talk online when it matters. I used to play RS Vegas on XBL and all the people from the US would give blow by blow accounts on what they were doing. I know its a tactical game but unless you can see the enemy and are engaging/need help, I dont want to know how many rounds you have fired, how many times you missed and why you think you deserve credit for a kill you didnt get. Thankfully most of the players didnt mind me being from the UK as there were loads of us on there.

I did meet some good Americans though and we had some great games so it's not all bad, just takes time to find the right people.

MiserableOldGit

Apr 1, 2009
Could it be that we simply don't share the American tendency to speak when we have nothing to say? ("Fuck you noob I'm a kill you wiv my shotgun briddish fag" does not constitute having something to say)

OctoBush

Aug 14, 2008
Hmm... While I AM British (English to be exact) and I don't talk very much, even to freinds within my party, this is not without reason. Hey, my accent is very pronounced-but i haven't had any flack from it from americans in particular.

No.

My main concern (and that of said freinds) in particular is the 'Squeaky Hyperactive 12 Year Old. Regardless of nationality, this creature is the bane of anybody who wishes to communicate vocally with other players.

To those (few probably) people who are genralising americans as a whole, we may be no better.
Hey, I lost an American associate purely because of the (english) douchebag in my party.

tl:dr (though it probably isn't) BLAME THE 12 YEAR OLDS

probably get prohibited for this somehow...

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
JugglerPanda said:
A lot of Americans online have a habit of being stupid while talking. I'd be silent too if I was British :<
I find that many people that talk a lot online are stupid, but feel free to get your frustration out by bashing Americans.

I think there are ups and downs, the middle ground is the way to go.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
the problem with online gaming is HAVING to talk to people... it's why most play with a group of friends because playing with the general population regardless means dealing with people, regardless of nation of origin, who's vocabulary consists mostly of screaming and swear words.

Is it just me that thinks the downside to multiplayer is talking to others?