Valve Has Paid Out $50 Million to Community Content Creators

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Valve Has Paid Out $50 Million to Community Content Creators

Steam community content creators are now able to create (and earn money) from items made for non-Valve titles.

Since its humble beginnings back in 2011, Steam's community content program has paid out over $50 million to aspiring content creators, Valve announced today. The "Steam Workshop" allows creators to make items for Valve-published games such as DoTA 2 [http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse?appid=440], which, if incorporated into their respective games, lets their creators share in a portion of the profits.

Valve said that the total figure is close to $57 Million, and was earned by over 1,500 contributors spread out across 75 countries.

To celebrate and expand upon this success, Vale has also announced that Steam content creators now have the ability to create and sell items for non-Valve games, via new, "Curated Workshops". The first games to feature these new workshops will be Chivalry: Medieval Warfare [http://steamcommunity.com/app/302270/workshop/]. Valve expects more games will join the program in the coming months, and just like with official Valve games, a portion of profits from community items for these games will go to their creators.

Lastly, for those of you who are actually out there making maps and items for multiple games, and are having trouble keeping track of where all your money is coming from, Vale is also launching a set of new tools that enable contributors to view real-time sales data for their items as well as view detailed per-item revenue breakdowns and historical statements.

Source: Valve [http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/]

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
Over 1,500 contributors earning close to $57 million.

That's an average of $38,000 each.

Damn.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
seditary said:

Damn.
That sounds like valve is actually paying good money for that content and not just peanuts for people slaving for them. Valve has many faults but being able to pay content creators does not seem to be one.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Yeah. I know some people who've been able to purchase an apartment or a house from making a few CS:GO skins or TF2 weapons and hats.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
seditary said:

Damn.
but over a period of many years, and besides the profit isnt equally distribuited, the most popular hats generate significantly more cash than unpopular ones

that being said its still great valve support its community this well

PMAvers

May 27, 2009
Now if only the TF2 map workshop would actually open up. It's been over a year since the last community-made one was picked up.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
NuclearKangaroo said:
seditary said:

Damn.
but over a period of many years, and besides the profit isnt equally distribuited, the most popular hats generate significantly more cash than unpopular ones

that being said its still great valve support its community this well
Of course, its just a demonstrative number, not some statement on what everyone has actually gotten.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
You know how many zeroes are in 50 million? 7. Seven minus the 5 in 50 million equals 2... and 2 plus 7 is 9... minus the last 6 zeros is 3... you know what that means?

It means Valve isn't working on Half-Life 3.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Johnny Novgorod said:
You know how many zeroes are in 50 million? 7. Seven minus the 5 in 50 million equals 2... and 2 plus 7 is 9... minus the last 6 zeros is 3... you know what that means?

It means Valve isn't working on Half-Life 3.
Just everything else in their repertoire. Now all with 3's at the end.

Just out of spite.

Lt. Rocky

Jan 4, 2012
Shame it doesn't apply to Left 4 Dead 2, even the smallest fraction of that money would make all the difference for me. I don't make original creations however, so I'd be ineligible from the start.

D'oh well, people still like what the community makes, my stuff included. [http://steamcommunity.com/id/LtRocky/myworkshopfiles/]