Valve Joins Forces With Toymaker to Create Videogame Collectibles

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Valve Joins Forces With Toymaker to Create Videogame Collectibles

Action figures, clothes and even board games are in the works.

Valve, the creator of such fine games as Team Fortress 2, Portal and the Half-Life series, is hardly a slouch when it comes to merchandizing, but a new deal with the National Entertainment Collectibles Association, or NECA, is about to turn Valve's efforts up to eleven.

NECA has worked on a variety of game properties before, including Assassin's Creed, Gears of War and Dead Space, and it sounds like it and Valve plan to pull out all the stops. According to the official press release [http://necaonline.com/31562/blog/press-releases/neca-to-produce-valve-consumer-products/], the deal encompasses all Valve properties and will include action figures, toys, clothes and even board games. It sounds like there's a lot of scope there; personally, I'm hoping for a Mouse Trap-style Portal game and a vest like the Heavy from Team Fortress 2.

NECA president Joel Weinshanker said that his company shared Valve's views on meeting the expectations of the fans of a property, and then exceeding them. He added that NECA was excited by the possibilities that the deal offered, and were thankful to be working alongside Valve.

There's so much fun an interesting stuff in the Valve games, so finally being able to buy action figures and everything whatever else NECA and Valve come up with is quite exciting. There's no word on what the first products will be, or when they'll come out, but finding P-Body and Atlas in my Christmas stocking would make me a very happy guy.

Source: Evil Avatar [http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2018622#post2018622]

Charmi the ninja

May 28, 2011
Yay! Looking forward to lots of Portal figurines, functional electronics, and accesories! Bring it! Bring it!

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
If this results in those miniature adventure cores being mass produced, I will buy more than I need and create a personality hat. Maybe I won't do that, but I will be happy.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
If I can get my hand on a Portal gun replica, my money would grow legs and jump out of my wallet!!!
I just hope it's not only cheap figurines, I want the kind of stuff the fans make, on scale, realistic epic stuff! I'm already looking into Valve's own stuff, especially the companion cube plush!! If they would bring out more stuff like that, I'd get very poor.
And a board game sounds really interesting, but doubt it will be any good.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Zhukov said:
I want a D0G model for my desk.
I second this!

I think Valve will be coming out with some quirky stuff - like the Portal ads and the turret-moon tees.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
It's about f'king time someone other than Nintendo did this in a somewhat serious manner. Merchandising (beyond gimmicky crap for collectors edition boxsets) makes more sense than most of the other additional revanue streams others in the industry seem to be pursuing.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
It's about f'king time someone other than Nintendo did this in a somewhat serious manner. Merchandising (beyond gimmicky crap for collectors edition boxsets) makes more sense than most of the other additional revanue streams others in the industry seem to be pursuing.

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
Board games, you say? I can only hope this results in some Valve Heroclix coming out of the deal.

Honestly, tell me you wouldn't want to pit Glados up against Ultron or Braniac. Or SHIELD or HYDRA up against either the Blues or the Reds. Or both.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Awesome, but Board Games? Would they be actual board games or themed board games, like Monopoly or Cluedo?

"It was GLADoS in the test chamber with the Neurotoxin!"

Calumon: A toy portal gun? But my head spins from just the game! :S

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
I can finally get my hands on a Personality Core model... :3

But, the board-games, not so sure. I mean... Just.... Errmm... they'll suck - trust me. Maybe they'll make a good-one every-now & again, but, I doubt it. A video-game going into other medias is usually never seen again - or, at least, in a fit state (*Cough* Double Dragon *Cough*).