Valve Launches Steam Wallet Beta Test

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
As a poor student with no access to a credit card, I approve of this. At the same time, I'm gonna buy a shit load of cheap deals I really should spend on food.

Such is life!

ColateralDamage

Sep 10, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
Clever. It's an investment pool disguised as a pay account.
They get your money now, but can reinvest it sooner, generate interest or fund other projects.
This is exactly what I thought when I first saw it but it also could provide a simple savings account as Kalezian said

Kalezian said:
I can see how this would be good for people who cant spend a lot in a short time, adding $5 a week or two would be nice.
This could still be very convenient for some people, though I think the main attraction will be gifts of points, that's the one thing I thought Steam was lacking. Steam doesn't have anyway to either setup a gift for a certain date in advance, like a birth day, or a way to simply give a "buy anything $60 and lower card", since many parents and family members and even some friends don't really know what game you'll want to get or even may already have that's not on your steam games list. Unless they ask, but that ruins the surprise.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Deathfish15 said:
HK_01 said:
I fail to see how it's more convenient that PayPal or Click&Buy...
Because with all the flack lately with PayPal and the very heavy amount of restrictions, regulations, and policies that surrounds it, many people don't like using that payment method system.
What is this flak you speak of? I've never heard anything. Besides, I probably wouldn't buy anything online if not for PayPal.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
This might suggest they are planning an MMO based currency to go alongside.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
ColateralDamage said:
Atmos Duality said:
Clever. It's an investment pool disguised as a pay account.
They get your money now, but can reinvest it sooner, generate interest or fund other projects.
This is exactly what I thought when I first saw it but it also could provide a simple savings account as Kalezian said
It's probably both.

canadamus_prime said:
What is this flak you speak of? I've never heard anything. Besides, I probably wouldn't buy anything online if not for PayPal.
Not directed at me, but he's probably talking about the game developer who had his account frozen with close to three quarters of a million dollars in it (600,000 Euros, IIRC).

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
But what if Steam just saves your credit card details, as it can - then you really do just press buy and you have it >.>

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
hopefully this will lead to retail steam gift cards. I need more stuff that I can use to buy on steam that isn't visible on my credit card statement.

SpeechMan

Dec 14, 2009
I think I know what my next birthday present wish will be...

This will be very good news for people that can't get credit card.

Other than that, I have my credit card info saved on my steam account, so all I need to do when I buy game from steam is click three times (+ 2 more clicks to install and 1 double-click to play).

Never really understood people who use paypal for online purchases when they have a credit card. It just adds a pointless extra phase to buying something. Some say it's because of the security, well I've bought from over 20 different online stores and so far no one has stolen my credit card info. It may have something to do with the fact that I always check that the site where I enter my cc info is SSL protected.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
To be honest, I am suprised Valve didn't do this earlier. Many MMO developers (such as Blizzard) and digital distribution service holders (such as Nintendo) realised that not everyone has a credit card available or desires to use such a payment method, hence the introduction of Time Cards and Point Cards. So this option is long overdue.

Anyway, good news for regular Steam users, although I will personally stick to retail copies myself.

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
So, I buy a card in a store, bring it home and use the magic number on the card to add money to my Steam account. Steam is slowly but surely warming up to me. Like a cat cuddling up with his head on my lap and purring.

Awww, you're an adorable little digital distribution system aren't you? Yes you are!

Steam: Purrr.

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
AxCx said:
canadamus_prime said:
AxCx said:
canadamus_prime said:
Why do I need that when I have PayPal?
Because paypal sucks.
Edit: Nevermind.
"That question was only directed at people who have something intelligent to say."

Sweet of you to say that, but you dont always need to be intelligent to state the truth. The truth being that paypal sucks, and you need to stop being so rude for no good reason. :)
I'm confused, why does PayPal suck? It's worked for me pretty well.

OriginalJoeBlack

Jun 20, 2010
Excuse me Escapist Community,
but i do not understand it enough. Is it like this:
1.) i have to buy points first, for which i then can buy games
or
2.) I can make the points by completing of achievments?

pneuma08

Gaming Connoisseur
Sep 10, 2008
We might be seeing retail cards soon, which would be a great boon for people who don't have/can't use cards online.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
AxCx said:
canadamus_prime said:
AxCx said:
canadamus_prime said:
Why do I need that when I have PayPal?
Because paypal sucks.
Edit: Nevermind.
"That question was only directed at people who have something intelligent to say."

Sweet of you to say that, but you dont always need to be intelligent to state the truth. The truth being that paypal sucks, and you need to stop being so rude for no good reason. :)
I withdrew that comment, hence the edit.

And PayPal works just fine for me thank you very much. And comments like "PayPal Sux" don't make you sound very intelligent, hence my original withdrawn comment.