Valve Lifts Modern Warfare 2 Bans, Apologizes With Zombies

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Valve Lifts Modern Warfare 2 Bans, Apologizes With Zombies

Valve is handing out free games after a software glitch locked thousands out of their Steam accounts.

Thousands of Modern Warfare 2 players found their Steam accounts banned over the weekend, despite no wrongdoing on their part, thanks to an error made by Valve's anti-cheat software. Valve has now rectified that error, and has given away free copies of Left 4 Dead 2 as an apology.

Anyone who was mistakenly banned received an email from Valve president Gabe Newell, which explained that the bans were due to Modern Warfare 2 failing a signature check after Steam updated the game. He added that it wasn't a game specific issue, and apologized to the 12,000 people affected for any "frustration or angst" the bans might have caused.

Valve has given each affected player a copy of Left 4 Dead 2 to give to a friend, as well as a copy for themselves if they didn't already own it. It's not hard to see why Valve has such a good reputation amongst gamers, as there aren't many companies that would give out two copies of a game to apologise for a mistake. You also have to admire the way Valve has taken what was potentially a PR nightmare and completely turned it around.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5597038/valve-bans-modern-warfare-players-by-mistake-apologizes-with-free-left-4-dead-2]

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Dang!
I would be angry but I already have L4D2. Lucky buggers though.

Spygon

May 16, 2009
This is why valve are the good guys of gaming even if they just gave one copy of the game it would have been good but two.As always valve shows the others in the industry how it should be done.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
WHY DID I BUY IT FOR PS3? Damn it!

Either way, if you already own this, you officially have 2 copies to give to a friend. If you wish to give it to me, you are my king.

Calumon: We'll buy you a horse and a towel so you can be super cool and manly, as long as you don't use lady scented body wash. Speaking of washing...

Jack: I'm CLEAN! YOU'RE NOT! Unless you wash, you won't be coming to Ibiza with me. I'll leave you with Hubilub or Brad Shepard or someone.

ayuri

Sep 11, 2009
valve really is connected with their fan base and i find the most user friendly.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
<3 Valve. If only i had MW2:gimp version. XD

tho this is a good example of DRM gone wild! lolz

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Valve has an excellent policy when it comes to issues like this:

"Oh snap, we fucked up!"

"BRIBE EVERYONE! EVERYONE!"

Chaossebba

Aug 11, 2008
I WISH i was temporarily affected by this, i could've used a gift copy :c

Then again, i would've probably been very angry if i were affected.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
We need to send them a monocle, they are complete gents.

They give us Portal for free when we buy the orange box, then they give us Portal again... FOR FREE, then Valve make an error and they give L4D for free?

Jedoro said:
The Red Dragon said:
Vale are so awesome. This is why everyone loves them.
Valve is pretty awesome, too, eh?
On a scale of 1 to awesome, how awesome are they?

Vampire cat

Apocalypse Meow
Apr 21, 2010
Hubilub said:

"Oh snap, we fucked up!"

I wish other companies would bribe me for mistakes that affect me >>. I was bribed with some free hair accessories once, but never anything to compensate for my annoyance OO.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
They should've given away TF2.

It'd make more sense.

A primarily competitive MP game in exchange for lost time in another competitive MP game.

I'm aware that L4D has Versus, but you know what I mean.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Suki the Cat said:
Hubilub said:

"Oh snap, we fucked up!"

I wish other companies would bribe me for mistakes that affect me >>. I was bribed with some free hair accessories once, but never anything to compensate for my annoyance OO.
Out of curiosity, exactly what was the incident that earned you some hair accessory bribery?

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
Valve once again proves that they care about their customers, at least enough to give free games to people on account of their mistake.

I'd like to see another company repay lost game time with another game.

Evil the White

Apr 16, 2009
ColdStorage said:
We need to send them a monocle, they are complete gents.

They give us Portal for free when we buy the orange box, then they give us Portal again... FOR FREE, then Valve make an error and they give L4D for free?

Jedoro said:
The Red Dragon said:
Vale are so awesome. This is why everyone loves them.
Valve is pretty awesome, too, eh?
On a scale of 1 to awesome, how awesome are they?
They don't fit on that scale, they have their own scale that has an extra marking above 'awesome' called 'Valve rating'. They'd be at 'godly' if it wasn't for Valve time.