Valve Plants Joke MMO "Code" Into TF2

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Valve Plants Joke MMO "Code" Into TF2

Sharp-eyed gamers have spotted some joke "code" in the latest update of Valve's Team Fortress 2 that - if real - would make the game more than a bit like an MMO.

Last week, the game itself [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91296-Team-Fortress-2-The-RPG] might not find itself with some more RPG-esque elements.

It turns out that everyone was just thinking too small. TF2 the RPG? Pffft. How about TF2 the MMO??

Sneaky gamers snooping through the code in the latest official update of the game found the following:

// TF2 MMO
"TF_MMO_LFG" "Looking For Group"
"TF_MMO_Quest1" "You must kill %s1 %s2 to complete this quest."
"TF_MMO_Monster1" "Boars"
"TF_MMO_Monster2" "Rats"
"TF_MMO_Monster3" "Bats"
"TF_MMO_Monster4" "Wolves"
"TF_MMO_Monster5" "Spiders"

I mean, it ain't exactly EverQuest here, but the principles are there. As always, Valve isn't above poking fun at the community - and, they obviously know that eager fans will be poking around their code. Otherwise, why else include it?

Alas, it is not to be. Or perhaps that's for the best: How can we raid 25-man Ulduar if we're trying to get a group together for Dustbowl?

LFM 2fort need Demo and Medic PST!

(Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/03/valve-jokingly-drops-mmo-code-into-latest-team-fortress-2-patch/])

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
WrongSprite said:
This
Sparrow Tag said:
WrongSprite said:
This.
Also, this.

Anyways, this is sort of what I do with programs when you can change messages for output and what not.

It's really fun to have someone test a program, then have it display an error message to when everything is working. It's ever better when you do this to someone else's program.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
WTS Rare Sandwich, Open trade at CP B - 50g a piece (Freshly stolen from angry big russian guy!)

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
Actually, the Source SDK does have a lot of wiggle room for something like this. trigger_changelevel gave me some ideas for how to make it work - there would be lots of loading screens, but whether any loot / gear would transition to the next zone I don't know.

shMerker

Oct 24, 2007
Goldeneye103X2 said:
Well, TF2 is already sort of an MMO.
If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and people whine and complain about the exact same things they would if it was a duck...

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
saw this on the TF2 forums a while back, so awesome. if you've visited the TF2 forums at all since the update that changed the character loadout screen, you know just how worked up people have been lately...

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
This game has been changing quite a lot lately. Better go see what's new *runs off and loads up steam

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
shMerker said:
Goldeneye103X2 said:
If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and people whine and complain about the exact same things they would if it was a duck...
Like it's the duck's fault. Geez, what did the duck ever do to you? *cries*

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Cid SilverWing said:
Goldeneye103X2 said:
It IS an MMO. An MMOFPS, to be exact. A shitty one, to be more precise.
No. MMO implies persistence. There's nothing persistent about TF2.

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
Sigh I want to come here and find some Half Life 2:Episode 3 info put out by Valve, IT'S BEEN TOO LONG

/sadness

grinklehi

Sep 10, 2008
uppitycracker said:
saw this on the TF2 forums a while back, so awesome. if you've visited the TF2 forums at all since the update that changed the character loadout screen, you know just how worked up people have been lately...
No kidding, I was on the TF2 forums just this morning and there was a thread with over 10 pages in it of people who wanted their weapons back after they threw them away. If you read those forums too much you start to get the feeling that the game is in worse shape then it is, but the forum community in the Steam forums is generally considered to be one of the whiniest out there, and looking at it I would rate it above the Starcraft 2 forums, but below the WoW forums myself, so don't believe everything said there to be the voice of the majority of people who actually play the game.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
grinklehi said:
uppitycracker said:
No kidding, I was on the TF2 forums just this morning and there was a thread with over 10 pages in it of people who wanted their weapons back after they threw them away. If you read those forums too much you start to get the feeling that the game is in worse shape then it is, but the forum community in the Steam forums is generally considered to be one of the whiniest out there, and looking at it I would rate it above the Starcraft 2 forums, but below the WoW forums myself, so don't believe everything said there to be the voice of the majority of people who actually play the game.
Yeah lol, I've noticed that the TF2 forums can have some of the most obnoxious and worthless trolls on the planet. And that thread you saw? Was one of MAAAAAAAA-NYYYYYY after that update. made me laugh quite a bit. hell, even the stat reset option got so many people mad, because i guess they didn't understand what it would do? kids these days...

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
grinklehi said:
uppitycracker said:
Well, if it's anything like the WoW forums... if it's so negative, it's because the people who are all enjoying themselves are, y'know, playing the game.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
I'm imagining a TF2 MMO in my head. I have to say it's got everything, just needs the ludicrous armor.

grinklehi

Sep 10, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
grinklehi said:
uppitycracker said:
Well, if it's anything like the WoW forums... if it's so negative, it's because the people who are all enjoying themselves are, y'know, playing the game.
I would agree with you, but then again my mom, now that I'm out of the house she has plenty of free time, is stressed out of her mind because she's an Officer in a major raiding guild and isn't being taken into some of the later bosses in Ulduar because Elemental Shamen DPS has dropped like a lead weight, and shes on the WoW forums all the time trying to fix it, and she loves the game. So, my opinion is that they put on their internet troll masks on to try to confuse poor souls like me while they're waiting for Gravelpit to load.