Valve Releases First Trailer for its Pro Gamer Documentary

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Valve Releases First Trailer for its Pro Gamer Documentary

There's a new Defence of the Ancients 2 movie in the works, but it's not what you may think it is.

Whenever someone brings up the subject of Valve and movies, it's usually in the context of one of their games. Will there be a Half-Life [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118059-Update-Valve-Teaming-up-with-Adult-Swim-for-Something] movie? And so on and forth, but for once in a way a Valve-makes-movie rumor is bearing fruit. Defense of the Ancients 2 is the putative subject of Valve's latest documentary, but the meat of the matter is pro gaming; who are the pro gamers, and what motivates them?

The documentary looks at gamerlifethemovie.com, for one [http://www.dota2.com/tournaments/international2011/?l=english] - suggesting that it's interested in a larger concept than just DoTA 2 The Movie.

No concrete release date yet, but if Valve is confident enough to release a trailer then it must be due soon. Besides, The International 2012 [http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/The_International_2012] is just around the corner; to announce this documentary and then not release it in time for that event would be remarkably silly. Why, it'd be like ending Half-Life 2 on a cliffhanger and not releasing the third game for years and years ...

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-17-valve-investigates-the-persona-side-of-esports-in-a-new-dota-2-documentary]

Aircross

Jun 16, 2011
I love how Valve is taking competitive gaming seriously. It's a career for these pro gamers, and it's no different from training and playing a sport for money.

Love Dendi's quote.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
I really want to see this, things like this really intrigue me.
I also love how they are taking it seriously, It's just nice.

Maleval

Feb 2, 2011
Looks pretty interesting, gonna watch it when it comes out.

On an unrelated note, being a Ukrainian myself, "the Ukraine" looks just plain wrong. Sorry for being one of those guys that see the need to correct what looks like an unimportant minute detail, but I just have to do it.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Lol@esports again.

And isn't DotA2 worse than the FGC? This won't end well.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
My hat goes off to Valve for an impressive amount of work this week:
Updated CS: GO beta.
New Community beta.
The Portal 2 added Co-Op Perpetual Testing Initiative
TF2 Mann vs. Machine.
And this trailer.

Once they leave work at the end of today, I'm pretty sure Gabe Newell is buying a round of beer on everyone.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
I've never been interested in this pro/competitive gaming. It takes the game and relaxation out of gaming and transforms it into work and stress.

No thanks, I'd rather slowly stroll across Skyrim, look at butterflies and stop to smell the roses.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
Maleval said:
On an unrelated note, being a Ukrainian myself, "the Ukraine" looks just plain wrong. Sorry for being one of those guys that see the need to correct what looks like an unimportant minute detail, but I just have to do it.
From Wikipedia:
Though the form "the Ukraine" was once the more common term in English, this is now considered inappropriate; most sources have dropped the article in favour of simply "Ukraine".

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Maleval said:
To those of us who are old enough to have grown up before it split back off from the Soviet Union and lost its "the", it took a while to get used to referring to the country as just Ukraine instead of the Ukraine. I still on some level think that first, even if I automatically correct it before I say or write it (or half the time before it's on a conscious level).

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
This is cool. But I dislike MOBA:s. Not as much as MMORPG's, but still.

Bring Quake/UT04/CS undisputed pros to the ring and show what's what.

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
I like the fact that Valve is taking pro gaming seriously .

On another note: DotA??? ...no. Battlefield 2, BFBC2, BF3, W:ET, even Sacred 2 I can live with , but DotA? I can't understand why the outcome of something so trivial could bring you $1 million.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Matthi205 said:

On another note: DotA??? ...no. Battlefield 2, BFBC2, BF3, W:ET, even Sacred 2 I can live with , but DotA? I can't understand why the outcome of something so trivial could bring you $1 million.
I don't get it, why is DotA 2 any less legitimate than those others? It's a different genre, sure but...

Honest question, not meaning to be rude; are you confusing the TF2-style Valve remake of DotA, DotA 2 (which is currently in beta, but still very playable) for the original?

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
While I can respect "pro gamers", the phrase itself is kind of a contradiction.

There's always a bigger fish.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
I saw a similar documentary about a counter strike players a while back. I really pity them for having the older generation who does not understand. Gaming is as much a sport as any other. And yet people will agree with you being a footballer but not a gamer.

Matthi205 said:

League of legends, the most popular game in the world, is a spinoff from DOTA. Competitions in there span tens of millions of dollars. So the Original from which it all started have a million dollar competition isnt a big streach. Its just you probably dont like it so you cant udnerstand, just like i cant understand why would anyone even want to play counter strike, and yet their competitions are one of the largest ones around.

Aeonknight said:
While I can respect "pro gamers", the phrase itself is kind of a contradiction.

There's always a bigger fish.
Pro gamer = professional gamer.

professional [http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/professional]

adjective
following an occupation as a means of livelihood or for gain: a professional builder.
following as a business an occupation ordinarily engaged in as a pastime: a professional golfer.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
How can Dota 2 already have a pro gaming scene? And when it comes to Valve and pro gaming first, second and everything up to 99th thing that comes to my mind is Counter-Strike so why not make documentary about that?

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Vhite said:
How can Dota 2 already have a pro gaming scene? And when it comes to Valve and pro gaming first, second and everything up to 99th thing that comes to my mind is Counter-Strike so why not make documentary about that?
Because DOTA is way more exiting to non-hardcore players. I know plenty of people who rarely (if ever) play DOTA 2 but enjoy watching the pros go at it. I can't say the same thing about CS.

Also, they have a game to market, so yeah. That too.
I cannot relate to you with that. I prefer watching CS and SC pro games while I barely ever played them but thats subjective opinion.

And when it comes to marketing, dont they have CS:GO coming out as well?