Valve Says "Hang In There" For Half-Life 2: Episode 3

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Valve Says "Hang In There" For Half-Life 2: Episode 3

Half-Life 2: Episode 3 is coming, so just chill.

Valve can't take a step without fans calling out questions about when Half-Life 2: Episode 3 is going to come out, or be announced, or even if Valve is thinking about it. In a recent interview, Valve marketing and PR chief Doug Lombardi confirmed that the game is certainly on the way.

Talking to AusGamers, Lombardi said: "You will ever see [more Half-Life], yes. We are not done with Gordon Freeman's adventures. I have nothing other than that to tell you today, but hang in there with us."

Half-Life is a first-person shooter series that sprang Valve to massive popularity back in 1998, praised for its use of scripted sequences rather than movie-like cutscenes, and for silent, goateed main character Gordon Freeman that regularly beat up headcrabs with a crowbar. Half-Life 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Orange-Box-Pc/dp/B000PS2XES] hit stores in 2004, after a delay in 2003 due to a source code leak. Half-Life 2: Episode 1 expanded on the sequel's story in 2006, while Episode 2 did the same in 2007. Since then, almost 4 years later, there hasn't been any more Half-Life news.

Lombardi didn't necessarily say that Episode 3 is coming, so Valve could be planning to skip it for an entire new release considering the amount of time that has passed. The company is still being tight-lipped, but at least we know that Freeman will return, as if we didn't already. Just keep hanging.

Source: AusGamers [http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/3037280]

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
Well at least they haven't forgotten it exists...

Can't wait to see what happens when Half Life 3 comes out before episode 3, that'll be great.

EDIT: Or maybe they'll pull a fast one and turn episode 3 into Half Life 3! Heh.

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
What's sad is that that cat picture is the first thing I thought of before I clicked the link. And then I clicked the link.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
I just knew there was going to be a cat image included in this thread. Maybe the reason they are tight lipped is that they haven't even started yet... :O. Maybe I should stop talking...

Veloxe said:
EDIT: Or maybe they'll pull a fast one and turn episode 3 into Half Life 3! Heh.
Well it'll hardly be a 'fast' one lol!

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Abridged: We have finally started doing something about it. Now shut up and wait for four more years. If youre a good fanbase, it might happen.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Half Life 3.

NO EPISODE 3!

If this isn't a full blown sequel, I'll kill Gabe Newell.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
I'll bet they're making a new engine for it.

Speaking of which, I (finally) just finished Portal the other day. I must be one of the only people ever who finds the Source engine extremely clunky and nearly unplayable...

Lance Arrow

Apr 7, 2010
gigastar said:
Abridged: We have finally started doing something about it. Now shut up and wait for four more years. If youre a good fanbase, it might happen.
My thoughts exactly.

I don't even know why Valve's fanboys still dominate every vote and contest ever considering that Valve has left us hanging for quite some time. You can say 'hang in there' all you want but we've been hangin' for almost four years. Seriously Valve, Our arms are getting mighty tired.

JediDisciple

Jul 18, 2010
Must...hang in there... "We will persevere..." Well, at least they mentioned it. This news is better than no news.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Given the time that has passed anything less than a full size-game, whether named Episode 3 or Half Life 3, would leave me disappointed.

Having episode 3 be comparable in length and scope to Half Life 2 would be odd but certainly not bothersome. I don't think they could just drop Episode 3 and have Half Life 3 pick up after Episode 2's cliffhanger, the Episode 2 finale is too charged.

What I'd really like to see is Episode 3 released to resolve the HL2 Episodes and then follow it up ~six months later by releasing Half Life 3. I'd be happy to forgive the delay with something like this.

Max_imus

Jul 8, 2010
z3rostr1fe said:
So.... Half-Life 3??
Wasn't the whole point of the episodes that Valve didn't want to make a "complete" sequel and rather give it out in bits? I mean, I wouldn't have anything against either option...

TheSkaAssassin

Oct 12, 2009
I seriously think it's just going to launch one day out of the blue. No advertising, no pre-orders, just "Hey, Episode 3 is out!".

How ballsy would that be?

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
This is great news.

I never cared -when- it was coming out, I just always wanted to know if it was -ever- coming out.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Half-life 3 eh?
So no more Gabe/Episode 3 jokes? That saddens me greatly...
One more for the road!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I'm starting to hope its never released just to spite all those people who are demanding it like they're actually owed something, and then acting like brats when there's an interview and aren't given any information on it.

No, the episodes obviously didn't work out like planned (unless, of course, the two episodes did go to plan, and the plan then became to make HL3 instead), get over it. They didn't lie to you, they did a reassessment.

Personally, I can't wait to find out what happens, but I know it'll be out when its done and so I just forget about it.

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
Lance Arrow said:
gigastar said:
My thoughts exactly.

I don't even know why Valve's fanboys still dominate every vote and contest ever considering that Valve has left us hanging for quite some time. You can say 'hang in there' all you want but we've been hangin' for almost four years. Seriously Valve, Our arms are getting mighty tired.
geez, that's nothing, try being a George R.R. Martin fanboy. 4 years? pshaw!

seriously, though, it's good to hear they haven't completely forgotten Half-Life.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
The proof of the pudding, my friends, is in the eating.

And I'm hungry.

Oh well, at least they remember it exists. That's some comfort... right? Right?

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
It's actually sadly comforting that they acknowledge its existence again.

I hope that they'll officially reveal my favorite gaming series at E3 this year and I think it's pretty much a given that the next hl game will be hl3 and not ep3.