Valve Teases TF2 Demoman and Soldier Updates

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Valve Teases TF2 Demoman and Soldier Updates

If this five-page comic published by Valve is any indication, the next Team Fortress 2 classes to see overhauls will be the Soldier and the Demoman - and the update will happen very, very soon.

Even the most ardent Valve fanboy in our audience can admit that there are things that the PC developer doesn't do very well, like sticking to release schedules for games that aren't Left 4 Dead 2. On the other hand, there are things that Valve does exceptionally well, like teaser announcements.

It's been the better part of a year since the last Team Fortress 2 class update - the Sniper and Spy faced off back in May - and naturally, fans of the game have been getting antsy for more, with some even "The Administrator" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95092-Team-Fortress-2-The-Fake-Engineer-Update] has members of the game's community all a-bustle.

In "The Administrator," we see the game's announcer - finally revealed to be playing both sides of the war - overseeing the RED and BLU teams as they fight their endless battle. Her aide interrupts her, however, with troublesome news: Having met at a projectile weapons expo, the RED Demoman and BLU Soldier have become fast friends. Worried that the two will discuss work and find out that they're both fighting for the same people, the Administrator calls in an emergency order to spark some "healthy competition" between the two to destroy their friendship once and for all.

It's pretty hard to interpret this as anything but an impending update for the Soldier and Demoman classes, and given that yesterday's reveal [http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=3219] contained a link to the comic with the phrase "Friendship ends in one day," it's likely that we'll start seeing the first goodies from the update ... sometime today, actually.

Interestingly enough, fans discovered new sound files in what appeared to be an otherwise normal update to the game on Monday that have the Administrator berating both sides of the war [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9uvQ_k8gqs], suggesting that there may in fact be a new game mode coming in which RED and BLU work together to take down their mastermind overlords ... which would be strange, to say the least.

Personally, I'm a happy TF2-er, because the Soldier and Demoman are both my classes of choice. People who play the Engineer have cause to worry, though - not only is the Engineer the one remaining class without updates of his own, but an overflow of Soldiers and Demomen means that the guy's poor Sentries aren't going to have very long lifespans once the update hits.

Stay tuned.

(Thanks, Assassinator and GothmogII)

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Really? Soldier and demoman? Those are the most OP classes in TF2. Since it's only those 2 and engineer left, I think the engineer should have been done first. But I guess it's good that they're updating.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Oh ho, Valve, I think I see what you're doing there. I'm thinking that only one will get the update, maybe the one that gets the most kills, or dies the most, or something like that.

Sneaky Valve, sneaky.

Feb 13, 2008
oppp7 said:
Really? Soldier and demoman? Those are the most OP classes in TF2.
This is what a lot of us are hoping for. If Valve set the soldier and demoman against each other, the poor old Heavy and Engie are gonna get some of their life back.

StigmataDiaboli

May 18, 2009
'Healthy competition' eh? Maybe a new projectile weapon? Well the two met at a projectile weapons expo, maybe she'll give them a nice shiny weapon to fight over.

rainman2203

Oct 22, 2008
So pumped for a new demoman. TF2 is just doing to be solid explosions for about 2 weeks straight.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Woohoo, I'm named in a news article. I feel famous now.

Anyway, ontopic, I was really waiting for this update. Soldier kind of fell in disuse, and I just could never properly learn Demoman. Maybe this update will change that. This will also mean that the Engineer will have an update of his own. Nothing really that bad of course, but I expected Valve to come with some Destruction (Soldier + Demoman) vs Construction (Engineer, duh) update. Oh well, we'll just have to wait for a little longer for some Engineer toys, although Valve is known for their surprises.

But there is still 1 big question for me left about this update:
Will we finally see a Meet the Medic video? Or *gasp* maybe a Meet the Pyro video?

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
This

Is

EPIC

I cannot wait. And yes, we all knew the Announcer looked like that, it was so inherent in her voice

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
Finally my favourite class the DEmoman willh ave new toys, I'm tired of those jarateing snipers.

Wakefield

Aug 3, 2009
Red and blu working together? Sounds awesome.

I however am crying inside because the overflow of soldiers and demomans spells doom for my sentries.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Sweet.

That sound bite video makes it seem like they'll be adding a new twist to the existing gamemodes, rather than a new gametype entirely.

And now, as is customary in anything involving Valve, how 'bout that Episode 3, hm?

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
first the spy, then the demoman, why do valve hate us engineers so much?

oh well hopefully the overflow will only last a couple of weeks like the last one.

Gardenia

Oct 30, 2008
Perhaps their new common enemy is an engineer weapon? Just throwing it out there.
Anyway, WOOOOOO UPDATE OMIGOD!!1!!!111!
ahem...
Edit: I heard the announcer say "Friendship ends in 10 seconds!" yesterday. Is that a new sound file or have I just not been paying attention?

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
wow, that sound clip video is strange. I can't imagine what kind of gameplay innovation that's signifying, other than team cooperation. Maybe some temporary switch that will reward one of the team's soldiers/demomen points for team kills??

DJPirtu

Nov 24, 2008
I'm actually not so sure that this is a teaser for class updates, but rather for some new gameplay mechanic. Especially given the new Announcer sounds in the latest update.

Edit: Ooh. Should have read the article all the way through. I'm still rather sceptic about the class updates, tough.