Valve Teases TF2 Demoman and Soldier Updates

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
I have a different theory...

First off, with the Sniper and Spy update, I developed a theory about what Valve were doing. Instead of releasing an update and having everyone swarm the class, they released 2 class updates which directly compete with each other. So you had Snipers being taken out by Spys, Spys in the hidden places and Snipers in the open, and a general equilibrium between the 2, so other classes could actually enjoy themselves. Because of this, I think the next class update would be Engineer/Demoman. It would prevent the millions of turrets, and give the many Demomen something to keep them occupied. As for this update, well I expect a new game mode. Something that involves friendship between both sides, and fighting the administrator. That would explain why there's all those sound files in the game itself.

Feb 13, 2008
300lb. Samoan said:
wow, that sound clip video is strange.
I know it can't just be me that keeps expecting the Announcer to say something along the lines of "You've been a very naughty boy and deserve..."

That would make the announcer Anne Robinson, and that makes ALL kinds of sense.

orangebandguy

Elite Member
Jan 9, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Demoman?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/The-Escapist-Team-Fortress-2-Group-PC
We're all going haywire about it.

I call for an Escapist update event game. One side Soldiers and the other Demos?

Baron Khaine

Jun 24, 2009
300lb. Samoan said:
wow, that sound clip video is strange.
I know it can't just be me that keeps expecting the Announcer to say something along the lines of "You've been a very naughty boy and deserve..."

That would make the announcer Anne Robinson, and that makes ALL kinds of sense.
Would make even more sense if the Announcer were situated on Satellite 5.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Update the Xbox version already Valve. At least to cover the glitchers to make it playable for now then maybe re-release the game with all the included class updates.

As for the PC class update I usually leech some playing time off my friends' PC and I usually play Engie... I'm gonna need that hardhat for the foreseeable future.

Over_Krill

Nov 16, 2009
cball11 said:
Well, son of a *****. This is gonna be sweeeeeet.

Oh wait, no it won't, because XLIVE DOESN'T GET THE FUCKING UPDATES.

God DAMMIT, I hate that.
Blame Microsoft not valve. Valve want to release them for free but Microsoft does not.
Shame on you Microsoft you should give the people on xbox live the updates.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Demoman?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/The-Escapist-Team-Fortress-2-Group-PC
That's naughty.

I did lol though. And it's about bloody time too that the Demo got some love.

Rusty Bucket

Dec 2, 2008
Over_Krill said:
cball11 said:

God DAMMIT, I hate that.
Blame Microsoft not valve. Valve want to release them for free but Microsoft does not.
No, for the love of god no. This is not Microsoft's fault. Valve are well aware (or should be) about MS's policies about DLC and updates. No other developer had problems with it, just Valve. The fact is that Valve released a half finished and thoroughly broken game that frankly shouldn't have made it through certification, and now they want to finish it for free. It doesn't work like that, it never has. And to be honest, the game is pretty much dead thanks to Valve totally ignoring it, so there's no way to realease the updates without splitting the already tiny player base and ruining the game even more.

Feb 13, 2008
Rusty Bucket said:
The fact is that Valve released a half finished and thoroughly broken game that frankly shouldn't have made it through certification, and now they want to finish it for free. It doesn't work like that, it never has. And to be honest, the game is pretty much dead thanks to Valve totally ignoring it, so there's no way to realease the updates without splitting the already tiny player base and ruining the game even more.
Do you even visit the real world anymore?

Over_Krill

Nov 16, 2009
Rusty Bucket said:
Over_Krill said:
cball11 said:

God DAMMIT, I hate that.
No, for the love of god no. This is not Microsoft's fault. Valve are well aware (or should be) about MS's policies about DLC and updates. No other developer had problems with it, just Valve. The fact is that Valve released a half finished and thoroughly broken game that frankly shouldn't have made it through certification, and now they want to finish it for free. It doesn't work like that, it never has. And to be honest, the game is pretty much dead thanks to Valve totally ignoring it, so there's no way to realease the updates without splitting the already tiny player base and ruining the game even more.
No how can this not be Microsoft's fault valve want to fix the game but Microsoft in there infinite greed want to charge people so valve can fix the game it is Microsoft's not valve fault. PC still has a strong user base 360 does not Microsoft controls the 360 no updates valve controls PC and we get updates all the time and for free.

(finish it for free. It doesn't work like that, it never has.) It has they are called patches when a game is made that is broken you should fix it for free you are saying that we should pay for patches.

The Kangaroo

Feb 24, 2009
Over_Krill said:
Its the fact that they would basically have to host what would be thousands of players at once

TotallyFake

Jun 14, 2009
Rusty Bucket said:
Over_Krill said:
cball11 said:

God DAMMIT, I hate that.
Wait what? I remember the original reviews praising the game for it's polish and balance. So how the hell is it half finished and broken?

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
Now we just need the Engineer and the updates will be released for 360! Only problem is, no one plays it anymore so Valve have really missed their chance there. I agree with Valve's policy of releasing all DLC at once to save people money but I would have honestly preferred it if they had released each update individually or at least released it all in 2 updates so we could've had the first 4 or 5 classes already. I really should get a gaming PC.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
Rusty Bucket said:
The fact is that Valve released a half finished and thoroughly broken game that frankly shouldn't have made it through certification, and now they want to finish it for free.
That's the standard approach for PC game development nowadays. Although I strongly doubt that TF2 was ever "half finished and broken", it just didn't balance out all the classes PERFECTLY and had a deficiency of maps. The same game was released on PC to critical acclaim, and it only got better and better from there. Yes, Valve should've planned ahead for Microsoft's policies, but notice that where Microsoft is there's failure and where Microsoft isn't there's success. I doubt Valve is the weak link in this. Microsoft are providing a barrier that Valve has no interest in overcoming.

Over_Krill

Nov 16, 2009
The Kangaroo said:
Over_Krill said:
Its the fact that they would basically have to host what would be thousands of players at once
Microsoft does not host games you do not Microsoft and you pay for Xbox live i do not pay for steam so i do not know what you are trying to say.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
cball11 said:

God DAMMIT, I hate that.
That's why I traded in my copy for the computer version.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Wait... if they're going to team up... could that mean they're making a genuine plot for TF2?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Now that would be cool. If both sides went up against a tougher enemy! And even the old employeers! I would love to see that!