Valve Unleashes the Potato Sack Reunion

Denizen

Jan 29, 2010
The Potato Sack / Portal 2 launch was an incredibly fun time. This is a nice prelude to the next summer camp sale which should start within a few weeks time.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, I own a lot of the games in The Potato Sack so I never bought it, and probably won't do so this time either. That said, I do hope it's something interesting.

It also would have been nice if the new Potato Sack included differant games, I'm just saying. :)

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Sixcess said:
Andy Chalk said:
The deal comes to an end at 6 pm on June 14.
18:00 14/06/12

If you add all the numbers up you get 1+8+0+0+1+4+0+6+1+2 = 23

23 is clearly a reference to Half Life 2 Episode 3

Proof!
Makes perfect sense. I'll just mail my pre-order money to Valve right now.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Excludos said:
Andy Chalk said:
Podunk said:
If you don't know why it was potatoes, then you've never played Portal 2.
This is absolutely, 100 percent correct.
*gasp* Heathen!

Considering there is absolutely no advertisement around this sack (its not even on the front page of the steam store. Only barely showing in the "new" list), I doubt its anything important. I'm annoyed they couldn't keep it another day though, as I physically don't have the money to buy it right now >.<
Yeah, I don't know if Valve realized, but most people get their paychecks on Friday, so releasing this on Wed. and Thu. is a bit of bad timing.

wwmcfar

Oct 12, 2009
When you buy this you get any games you already own as gifts but can anyone tell me for sure whether you get to gift the games individually or whether you have to gift the spare games all together because as usual Steam is giving the least amount of information possible on this.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Ah, I remember that bundle, it was the first thing I ever bought on Steam. Now, 200 games later...
I hope for something really cool, and, like all others, I hope for HL3.

glitch388

Undeniable Logic
Feb 9, 2010
I just found 20 dollars worth in change today while cleaning. I know now what I am spending it on.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
While Half-Life fans keep tossing coins in to the 'I wish HL3 gets announced fountain', I am going to look at the bandwagon treads of the Humble Indie Bundle wagon, to see if it gained any more weight.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
gigastar said:
And in the original Potato Sack the included games had hidden bonus levels added in, completing those hidden levels earned the player a (virtual) potato. All players that had obtained all the potatos when Portal 2 released got a copy for free.
That's not quite... the whole story (yay LRR joke!). While accurate, you forgot to mention that there was a whole ARG behind it which not only lead to Portal 2 being released early for PCs (though not by much if I remember correctly) but also brought on a lot of people working together to find all the tiny clues to find the things you had to do. It wasn't just beating secret levels. The community had to find and complete these things, and do specific tasks to get 'DLC' (which wasn't actually DLC, but more of a non-achievement token to show you did it), and so on.

The reward for getting all of the things done was the golden potato, which I'm one of the holders of (had to do everything in about 1 day... it was pretty nuts). The people who completed it didn't get Portal 2 for free per say. They actually got the Valve Complete Pack, which included Portal 2 along with every other game Valve made to that point. While accurate, it's important to point out that it was much more then one game. And anyone who already owned copies of Valve games got giftable copies of those they owned.

All and all in was a surprisingly deep event that a lot of people put a lot of work into. If it's going to happen again, good. I'd like to see it, even if it does force me to work for hours straight to try getting it finished once more.

Ogargd

Nov 7, 2010
I don't get why you said the portal 2 arg made everyone mad, everyone I know loved it...

Ratboy601

Nov 25, 2009
Yay I don't have to rebuy it! Hopefully they update them all with subtle hints to whatever they're up to now. Ep3 is super freakin overdue...

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
Sixcess said:
Andy Chalk said:
The deal comes to an end at 6 pm on June 14.
18:00 14/06/12

If you add all the numbers up you get 1+8+0+0+1+4+0+6+1+2 = 23

23 is clearly a reference to Half Life 2 Episode 3

Proof!
My Gods, it must be true!

I remember getting so paranoid about the ARG before that I started finding links with the number of spelling mistakes in an Aperture Science manual to Half Life 2 Episode 3. I do not want that phase again, it only ends in disappointment...

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
The potato thing is referencing *spoiler* *spoiler* *spoiler* *spoiler* which *spoiler* *spoiler* *spoiler* *spoiler* when the moron *spoiler* *spoiler* *spoiler* *spoiler* and then you just kinda jam it in there.

LosButcher

May 19, 2009
If something is happening with this, it's nothing major. They would have announced it at E3.

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
bafrali said:
I just bought an indie bundle so not buying it and who cares about HL3 at this point anyway. I don't....really

*throws another dart at the picture of Gaben*
Oh, just a few million people...
Andy Chalk said:
I never really understood the whole "potato" angle but there's something about it that Valve must like, because the Sack Is Back - and nobody knows why.
Basically, the first Potato Sack was tied to Portal 2, and in that game...
GLaDOS gets turned into a potato. Sort of.