Valve Unleashes the Potato Sack Reunion

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
TLS14 said:
gigastar said:
Ugh...

Torn between getting this because the last time this happened people got free Portal 2 for it...

And not getting it because theres a fairly high chance that the "reward" game this time will be Dota 2, perhaps, for me, the least appealing Valve title since Ricochet...

Why must theese things be so hard to decide on...
Could actually be CS:GO, though. Isn't that being released in a few months?
Come to think of it, it is. Alas im not a raving Counter Strike fan, im a raving Team Fortress fan.

Also, we should not forget to account for Valve Time.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Azuaron said:
Akichi Daikashima said:
The only other game being "developed" by Valve is DoTA 2, so I'm thinking that it has something to do with that.

If it is half life 2 episode 3, I would laugh my pants off if the release date is 21/12/12
21st month, huh? (Valve is an American corporation.)
Nope; that is just my British pride surfacing into my post, the american date would be inproper in England.

Captcha; stone's throw

THE POTATO SACK HAS SPOKEN!

rampantcreature

sticky-fingered filcher
Apr 14, 2009
I hope there is a timer at the end of this, and that it's for an insanely large chunk of time. A timer either to December 21, 2012 or whenever Valve is hoping for the apocalypse, or a timer counting down from near-infinity.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
nCrz said:
Andy Chalk said:
I never really understood the whole "potato" angle
Potato = Po(r)ta(l)t(w)o
Mind = blown...

gigastar said:
Ugh...

Torn between getting this because the last time this happened people got free Portal 2 for it...

And not getting it because theres a fairly high chance that the "reward" game this time will be Dota 2, perhaps, for me, the least appealing Valve title since Ricochet...

Just FYI, but Dota 2 will be launching as a free to play title supported by a cosmetic item store like TF2 is now. Although you can buy early access to the beta for $40 ( and get a bunch of free items with it), I doubt they would give that away in some weird contest.

BTW, Dota 2 is awesome, been playing the beta for months now...

Also, I bought this potato sack last year and I didn't get free portal 2 from it... Where'd you hear that from?

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
I never really understood the whole "potato" angle
Unsure if trolling or forgetful, because I remember having to stare at a freakin' potato for a substantial part of Portal 2.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
lotr rocks 0 said:
gigastar said:
Ugh...

Just FYI, but Dota 2 will be launching as a free to play title supported by a cosmetic item store like TF2 is now. Although you can buy early access to the beta for $40 ( and get a bunch of free items with it), I doubt they would give that away in some weird contest.

BTW, Dota 2 is awesome, been playing the beta for months now...

Also, I bought this potato sack last year and I didn't get free portal 2 from it... Where'd you hear that from?
Ah, shows how much i know then. The MOBA genre simply holds no appeal for me. Thats really all i can say.

And in the original Potato Sack the included games had hidden bonus levels added in, completing those hidden levels earned the player a (virtual) potato. All players that had obtained all the potatos when Portal 2 released got a copy for free.

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
lotr rocks 0 said:
I don't know for definite because I didn't do it but I thought it was all part of the Portal 2 ARG game, if you bought the bundle and took part and won the game, you unlocked a free Portal 2.

Captcha: lame Duck

Guess Valve aren't happy with my lack of involvement... D:

awesomcarter

Mar 25, 2011
does anyone else see whats happening here?
ok so they start with half life 2 and then stop after the big reveal
then they appear to stop caring and do other things like portal 2 and left 4 dead
then this potato sack where there are lots of games
they are setting up for half light 3 where portal is in the same universe and they meet and these game will be playable Easter eggs

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
Sixcess said:
Andy Chalk said:
The deal comes to an end at 6 pm on June 14.
18:00 14/06/12

If you add all the numbers up you get 1+8+0+0+1+4+0+6+1+2 = 23

23 is clearly a reference to Half Life 2 Episode 3

Proof!
Mind=Blown

I vote this is a Valve troll. Make us all think it's leading to something big.... then... nothing.

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
If Valve does offer something along with this bundle, perhaps Meet the Pyro? That is supposed to be coming out this year.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
roushutsu said:
If Valve does offer something along with this bundle, perhaps Meet the Pyro? That is supposed to be coming out this year.
Came here to say this. They've been teasing it along with the MVM mode for a long time, and with the summer sale coming up in a couple weeks now would be the perfect time to give us Meet the Pyro.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
I never really understood the whole "potato" angle but there's something about it that Valve must like, because the Sack Is Back - and nobody knows why.
i'm guessing you didn't play portal 2? before it's release, the potato thing was completely out of context, but after playing portal 2, it makes sense. there was a science fair in the Aperture Science building, with one of the displays being about potato power. You carry GlaDOS, powered by a potato, around on the end of your portal gun for a good portion of the single player campaign.

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Podunk said:
If you don't know why it was potatoes, then you've never played Portal 2.
This is absolutely, 100 percent correct.
*gasp* Heathen!

Considering there is absolutely no advertisement around this sack (its not even on the front page of the steam store. Only barely showing in the "new" list), I doubt its anything important. I'm annoyed they couldn't keep it another day though, as I physically don't have the money to buy it right now >.<

Halceon

Jan 31, 2009
No idea of the GREAT UNIFYING MYSTERY, but the trader in Killing Floor is currently GLaDOS.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
More likely that it would have something to do with the Counter Strike:GO release which is on the horizon if there is an ARG involved. Although all these indie games are quite old now, so maybe it's just to give some of these titles a few more sales before they fade from the general memory.

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
Yukinari said:
Except you dont get anything for this pack and it only lasts 2 days as opposed to the original which lasted 1 week.
Nothing to see here.
You get a quite large savings for some quite good games? I would call that something. Does everything have to have a bonus with it these days?