Valve: Xbox Live Rules are a "Train Wreck"

Snowalker

Nov 8, 2008
Fallen-Angel Risen-Demon said:
That's it Valve, turn to the dark Sony side.
OT: Then why haven't they updated the PS3 version? Or have they and I missed something?
Not entirely sure, but the ps3 version wasn't made by valve, it was made by EA. I'd think that has a lot to do with it.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
GamesB2 said:
I generally ignore most of what Kotick says... he complained about Live because he couldn't get more money out of it.

And I would play PC except I can't. I use my PC for other things and only get about 4 hours PC gaming in a week. Which I spend entirely on DOW2.

I won't forgive them for a crappy console port just because they support the PC. I never cared much about Valve anyway. Their games were never astounding to me.
Randomly stumbled upon this, but I believe it's relevant;

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Needle_boosting#List_of_Patched_Exploits

Notice how many of those exploits are broken on the PS3?

Unplayable on 360 my batoochie, unplayable on the PS3 for sure!

Jul 22, 2009
Jumplion said:

Yeah it's stupid that Valve should be able to get away with half assed console games just because they give out free stuff on PC and do battle with Microsoft in the form of dick waving contests.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
GamesB2 said:
Jumplion said:

Yeah it's stupid that Valve should be able to get away with half assed console games just because they give out free stuff on PC and do battle with Microsoft in the form of dick waving contests.
Just saying, I really only semi-agree with your overall point. While I get what you're saying, VALVe is really holding out on Microsoft for the principle of the matter. They really want to give the 360 as much content as they can, but because LIVE is so restrictive for them, even regular patches are annoying to get through. Compare that to PSN, it's basically a much more open playground for them to work with.

Jul 22, 2009
Jumplion said:
Just saying, I really only semi-agree with your overall point. While I get what you're saying, VALVe is really holding out on Microsoft for the principle of the matter. They really want to give the 360 as much content as they can, but because LIVE is so restrictive for them, even regular patches are annoying to get through. Compare that to PSN, it's basically a much more open playground for them to work with.
I agree that Live needs its rules reviewed.

I just think it's so stupid that Valve won't patch their games just because they have to pay for it.

I don't care about the extra content. I just want a fix.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
canadamus_prime said:
Did it occur it him to try and work out this issues with Microsoft?
I think it's fairly clear from his rant that he HAS tried, and failed.

Feb 13, 2008
Optimus Hagrid said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Almost non-existent in the real world. May I humbly suggest that you take a look at exactly what you're asking Valve to do
He's asking them for bug fixes, which many other companies do for free anyway.
They're trying to do it for free, BUT MS WON'T LET THEM.

Zombie Izzard

Jul 1, 2009
I get a feeling sometimes Valve uses Microsoft as a scapgoat sometimes. "Oh why do we have to charge you and not the PC? Microsoft. Why can't we update this game? Microsoft.Why hasn't episode 3 came out yet? Microsoft." I see a pattern here. Also its also been mentioned before but no one seems to be blaming Sony for the lack of TF2 updates. I also don't see Valve mentioning TF2 for the PS3. Also don't see them having trouble updating Left 4 Dead. I've never heard the policy that a game is only aloud so many updates. Many of my games I have had updates many times. Though I guess its a good thing I don't care for TF2

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Sylocat said:
canadamus_prime said:
Did it occur it him to try and work out this issues with Microsoft?
I think it's fairly clear from his rant that he HAS tried, and failed.
Really? Because I got the impression that they were sitting back and hoping Microsoft would change and/or fix things. Now I'd love to give them the benefit of the doubt and uh... *ahem* "assume" that this is not the case, but it's still certainly the impression I get.

PurplePlatypus

Duel shield wielder
Jul 8, 2010
Valve, never make such assumptions again. It might have seemed a reasonable assumption at the time but people aren?t always reasonable and people can be reluctant to change things.

Kekon3

Dec 4, 2008
See that's why you need a PS3, with internet so broke that anyone trying to break the rules logs off due to bad lag XD

Apr 28, 2008
PurplePlatypus said:
Valve, never make such assumptions again. It might have seemed a reasonable assumption at the time but people aren?t always reasonable and people can be reluctant to change things.
Plus expecting Microsoft to see reason is just, well I really don't feel I need to explain.

Of course now if they want to update the game it would cost them literally hundreds of thousands of dollars thanks to how MS runs things...

Such a shame.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
i love the fans blaming valve, its kinda funny ms charges you 60 bucks a year for the honor of using their online service, but then wants to get its palm greased any time a developer wants to give the community content for free, and of course some of you even go so far as the being totally off the stupid train that valve should pay microsoft to give you stuff for free.

how about microsoft give you games for free for paying your 60 bucks to use their service? valve does not owe you all anything period, even if you bought the game because microsoft wants to tell them what they can and cannot do and how they can and cannot do it and will not change their rules because they want to make mo money off you people that are already paying for their service.

Snowalker

Nov 8, 2008
GamesB2 said:
Snowalker said:
Not entirely sure, but the ps3 version wasn't made by valve, it was made by EA. I'd think that has a lot to do with it.
EA is a publisher. Valve made it.
Look, I'm not trying to argue with you, but it was a port made by EA. Yes, Valve made the original games, the Orange box on the ps3 is a port made by EA.

Sep 13, 2009
Hooray for Valve using PSN to give 360 owners free updates! Gabe, I don't care if you're never releasing another Half-Life game. Just this is enough!

Sep 4, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Somewhat ironically, Newell also praised the PlayStation 3, which not too terribly long ago he treated like something stuck to the bottom of his shoe [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/77826-Gabe-Newell-Calls-PlayStation-3-A-Waste-of-Time], for picking up the ball Microsoft dropped. "We're really happy with the current situation with the PS3," he said. "We're solving it now in a way that is going to work for our customers, rather than assuming something is going to emerge later that will allow us to fix this."

My, how things change, eh?
October 2007? I don't expect a service to change overnight, but in 3 years? To me it seems entirely reasonable for Mr. Newell to reverse his view on the PS3 3 years later.