Valve: Xbox Live Rules are a "Train Wreck"

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Waitaminute--Valve pushing hard at work to provide Macs with support? Suddenly changing their opinion of the PS3, and, what's more, praising it?

Are Valve and Microsoft going through a break up?

Vicarious Vangaurd

Jun 7, 2010
Demon ID said:
Andy Chalk said:
shameless attention grab to ask a related question
Is their any chance of a link to these rules, or even better have you considered doing a piece on them?

I wasn't aware that they was such a problem, what with alot of games getting updated regulary fixing glitches and some getting regular free content (battlefield bad company 2).
This brings a good point because wouldn't this mean that Valve could have an internet promotion where people that go sign up for whatever they get free content? like BFBC2 did with the whole VIP thing.

Feb 13, 2008
GamesB2 said:
Firstly let me direct you to this:
Back atcha.
Now onto your points.
Please....I'm getting tired here.
I could ask those companies. But right now I'm asking Valve so that is irrelevant.
Probably not in such a forceful way I hope. Or maybe I don't?
And I want whatever team they stuck on making the orange box for the 360 to be stuck on making patches for the orange box for the 360.
We want Episode 3, but, yeah...
Seriously... being payed to finish the jobs they started? What is this blatant logic!
Almost non-existent in the real world. May I humbly suggest that you take a look at exactly what you're asking Valve to do for free, just to please people who have already stopped playing the game? May I also humbly suggest that you might want to ask MS to look at their rules which even Bobby Kotick [http://www.next-gen.biz/news/kotick-frustrated-by-xbox-live-model] has said are too harsh.

Just...you know...between demanding reparations from a company busy working on the three machines that are letting him do his free work for free?

I know that might sound strange, but charging for free stuff isn't even in Apple's league.

Jul 22, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
GamesB2 said:
Firstly let me direct you to this:
Back atcha.
Now onto your points.
Please....I'm getting tired here.
I could ask those companies. But right now I'm asking Valve so that is irrelevant.
Probably not in such a forceful way I hope. Or maybe I don't?
And I want whatever team they stuck on making the orange box for the 360 to be stuck on making patches for the orange box for the 360.
We want Episode 3, but, yeah...
Seriously... being payed to finish the jobs they started? What is this blatant logic!
Almost non-existent in the real world. May I humbly suggest that you take a look at exactly what you're asking Valve to do for free, just to please people who have already stopped playing the game? May I also humbly suggest that you might want to ask MS to look at their rules which even Bobby Kotick [http://www.next-gen.biz/news/kotick-frustrated-by-xbox-live-model] has said are too harsh.

Just...you know...between demanding reparations from a company busy working on the three machines that are letting him do his free work for free?

I know that might sound strange, but charging for free stuff isn't even in Apple's league.
No Apple just releases stuff that no one else can use...

On about Episode 3... I want Episode 3. I can only assume that half of Valve have sat around messing up Wikipedia articles and updating their Facebook statuses for the last few years.

I'm asking them to fix their game. Hundreds of other games do it all the time. Even Ghostbusters is getting a patch. So why the hell can't TF2 get one?

Just remove the crap content that would be charged for and releases the fixes on their own.

I asked companies for fixes. Valve have done nothing to TF2 for years now and are showing no signs.

Does anyone remeber the Metro DLC that came out a few weeks ago?

I emailed the guy and he responded saying they were working on it.

And that was from a company wrapped round THQs little finger.

Valve just sit there complaining they can't get their own way.

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009
Almost non-existent in the real world. May I humbly suggest that you take a look at exactly what you're asking Valve to do
He's asking them for bug fixes, which many other companies do for free anyway.

This is not entirely unreasonable. They managed to get a team on the job the April before last, and they gave us a patch (albeit a poor one). Then they just continued their reign of silence.

Dobrev

Mar 25, 2009
This is what I don't get about XBox live users. You are paying for the service, you should be demanding free patches on a regular basis.

Jul 22, 2009
Dobrev said:
This is what I don't get about XBox live users. You are paying for the service, you should be demanding free patches on a regular basis.
We get free patches.

It's DLC we have to pay for.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
I'll just leave this here

Ya, all the bonus usable equipment, community made maps, additional Valve maps, more gameplay modes, class updates and modding ability really don't add up to anything useful. the xBox version is clearly exactly the same.

All silliness aside, I now feel the urge to play TF2 on my supremely superior PC for maximum enjoyment.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
GamesB2 said:
I've got something to say to the LIVE owners;

Suck it up.

Hi, I'm a PS3 owner, and I've been nipped by VALVe since the very beginning. You guys at least got a few patches, us PS3 owners only got 1 patch towards the beginning, but we didn't complain. It was common place at the time, developers didn't support the PS3 as they should, with people from all directions, VALVe, id, LIVE owners, guffawing at us for being "too hard to program for" and all that crap.

Well, now you know a fraction of how it felt at the time. My, how the tables have turned these past few years.

Besides, PC TF2 is delicious.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
GamesB2 said:
I agree that Microsoft needs to loosen on their rules a bit... but I don't get it.

Valve own a massively used PC game platform plus loads of highly rated titles that millions of people have bought and played regularly...

Yet they won't shell out for one god damn update?

I mean yeah... the rules are strict and bad and blah de blah. But can't they take a small wad of money from the Valve cash pile and throw out an update? I mean really are they that stuck up about this?
Part of the "problem" is that Microsoft would charge XBox Live users for the DLC.

This ISN'T a problem at all, though, because I would be more than willing to pay for the updates. I love TF2, and I play it even in its terrible state on XBL.

So, yes, I do blame Valve, even though the entire world seems to think that it's completely Microsoft's fault that TF2 on the Xbox is a pile of shit.

On a different note, does anyone get the feeling that Sony is maybe "encouraging" Valve to give it some praise? Not that I'm saying its undeserving of whatever Gabe says (I have no idea one way or the other), but it seems kind of ridiculous that they're ignoring everything they previously said about the PS3 and are just randomly dropping good tidbits about the system.

Jul 22, 2009
Jumplion said:
I've got something to say to the LIVE owners;

Suck it up.

Hi, I'm a PS3 owner, and I've been nipped by VALVe since the very beginning. You guys at least got a few patches, us PS3 owners only got 1 patch towards the beginning, but we didn't complain. It was common place at the time, developers didn't support the PS3 as they should, with people from all directions, VALVe, id, LIVE owners, guffawing at us for being "too hard to program for" and all that crap.

Well, now you know a fraction of how it felt at the time.

Besides, PC TF2 is delicious.
Exactly I think it's bullshit that they get away with this.

They should release updates for all platforms including PS3. Don't release a game if you don't intend to support it.

PS3 should get updates just as 360 should. Where are those developers who made the ports?

Probably picking their noses right now...

Jul 22, 2009
The Bandit said:
art of the "problem" is that Microsoft would charge XBox Live users for the DLC.

This ISN'T a problem at all, though, because I would be more than willing to pay for the updates. I love TF2, and I play it even in its terrible state on XBL.

So, yes, I do blame Valve, even though the entire world seems to think that it's completely Microsoft's fault that TF2 on the Xbox is a pile of shit.

On a different note, does anyone get the feeling that Sony is maybe "encouraging" Valve to give it some praise? Not that I'm saying its undeserving of whatever Gabe says (I have no idea one way or the other), but it seems kind of ridiculous that they're ignoring everything they previously said about the PS3 and are just randomly dropping good tidbits about the system.
Hell I just want bug fixes... I don't care about the new guns, maps or hats.

Just make the online playable.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
It's kinda nice to hear how things are on the other side of the console as opposed to just what us consumers experience. This may just turn out to be the victory that Sony needs for its console. With Microsoft continually refusing to allow the games on their system to adapt, this is just one more thing to write on their epitaph.
Thank goodness Microsoft isn't in charge of PC's...
I'll just leave this here

You dropped something. :D

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
GamesB2 said:
Exactly I think it's bullshit that they get away with this.

They should release updates for all platforms including PS3. Don't release a game if you don't intend to support it.

PS3 should get updates just as 360 should. Where are those developers who made the ports?

Probably picking their noses right now...
I used to be like you. Seriously, exactly in the same mindset with VALVe, how they shouldn't have bothered releasing TF2 on PS3 if they just hated it anyway (EA ported that though).

And then I stepped into the realm of PC gaming. And all (most) was forgiven. This was before VALVe's sudden change of pace, somehow creating a quantum-energy-leap by swapping the positions of the PS3 and 360.

Really, VALVe are not console developers, they're PC. VALVe would love to release a patch for the game, but because of LIVE restrictions and crap, they can't do it as easily as they want and don't have the control that they need to really support the game. And this is not exclusive to VALVe, if the CEO of motherfucking Activision (as pointed out by Root earlier), arguably the biggest gaming company right now, is complaining about Xbox LIVE restrictions and hurdles, then it's not the developers fault. It's the company's fault.

It's the principle of the matter, I suppose.

Jul 22, 2009
Jumplion said:
I used to be like you. Seriously, exactly in the same mindset with VALVe, how they shouldn't have bothered releasing TF2 on PS3 if they just hated it anyway (EA ported that though).

And then I stepped into the realm of PC gaming. And all (most) was forgiven. This was before VALVe's sudden change of pace, somehow creating a quantum-energy-leap by swapping the positions of the PS3 and 360.

Really, VALVe are not console developers, they're PC. VALVe would love to release a patch for the game, but because of LIVE restrictions and crap, they can't do it as easily as they want and don't have the control that they need to really support the game. And this is not exclusive to VALVe, if the CEO of motherfucking Activision (as pointed out by Root earlier), arguably the biggest gaming company right now, is complaining about Xbox LIVE restrictions and hurdles, then it's not the developers fault. It's the company's fault.

It's the principle of the matter, I suppose.
I generally ignore most of what Kotick says... he complained about Live because he couldn't get more money out of it.

And I would play PC except I can't. I use my PC for other things and only get about 4 hours PC gaming in a week. Which I spend entirely on DOW2.

I won't forgive them for a crappy console port just because they support the PC. I never cared much about Valve anyway. Their games were never astounding to me.

Nyrad01

Nov 25, 2009
It annoys me that they can't update content on the xbox 360. I for one can't afford to spend money on a powerful pc, so rely on console gaming for my online experience. This means that the experience I've had with TF2 is only on the xbox, bar afew bouts on the PC when at friends, and I really wish TF2 was half the game on the xbox that it is on the PC. Even a few updates here and there would be nice, I don't expect them to go to the same extent as they have for PC's but something would be nice to make Team Fortress 2 a much stronger console FPS...

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
This is what we get when a company has no competition an keeps their online component a proprietary and closed environment. Xbox Live has nothing to offer that cannot be gotten elsewhere, cheaper, better, even for free.

It's all about how people decide to spend, and if they think its a value (usually apologists) or they think it's a pittance (more typical attitude) they will spend on a sub-par service giving MS no reason to change or improve.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
Im calling Zombie Bullshit on Mr. Newell.

The rules for updating games are flawed for the Xbox? It seems like only Valve seems to have this problem...

... and this problem STILL doesn't stop Valve from doing rather frequent updates (including DLC, both free and paid ones) for Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2. Care to explain?

Heres how I interpret this. They wanted to update TF2 for the Xbox, but its not high on the priority list. Why update a game that so few people still play, when they can make content for their more popular titles.

THEN, when another company throws us a deal for exclusive content, we trash talk their competitor and blame them for our laziness.

Seriously. Would it atleast kill Valve for a bugfix for the 360 Version? I mean, adding all that new content may be a "train wreck", but so is trying to play the 360 Version when a bug inhibits the game so no one can play as certain classes. Or all the other various bugs the console version has.

... Guess all those bug fixes for Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 were something we were supposed to ignore...