Valve's Faliszek: "Need to See" Natal's "Compelling Games First"

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Valve's Faliszek: "Need to See" Natal's "Compelling Games First"

Left 4 Dead brainiac Chet Faliszek might think that Project Natal is a wicked cool piece of technology, but that doesn't mean anything until we start seeing some "compelling games" for it.

Most people can agree that as a piece of technology, Project Natal is slightly mindblowing. The tech behind what it does is enough to boggle the mind, and Valve's Chet Faliszek - best known as the man responsible for writing Left 4 Dead - certainly acknowledges that. On the other hand, he thinks it won't matter if Natal doesn't do what the Wii did and ship with a game that shows the true potential of the device.

"Have you seen Natal? We got to check it out [at Valve], and it's actually really cool," Faliszek told Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/valve-on-project-natal-show-us-the-compelling-game-first-142872.phtml]. "Like, there's someone running around, jumping around and someone else walks up and it instantly recognizes this other person, splits them off and [they do] their own thing. There's a lot of coolness around it, but I'm not sure about the game that comes with that, and I'm not sure, personally, how much I wanna move around. I'm a lazy, lazy man. I don't want to move. I don't want to be fatigued playing a game."

What Natal really needs, Faliszek thinks, is its own Wii Sports. "I think Wii hit it out of the park with the titles that it shipped with ... I haven't found much else that's compelling. I want to see the compelling game first."

For all the success of Wii Sports, though, it's hard to argue that the Wii's motion control has been used as effectively in the vast majority of its games. Even with a compelling launch title or two for Natal, there remains the very real possibility that gamers simply won't want to get up and dance around every time they feel like playing a game of Street Fighter.

Perhaps Milo just ain't gonna cut it.

(Via GI.biz [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/natal-i-want-to-see-the-compelling-game-first-says-valves-faliszek])

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Yeah, I really don't think Natal will be a success. I don't even know how a good game could come from it.

*rambles like old man*

Really, whatever happened to people just using controllers? We didn't need boards or motion controllers or high definitely newfangled whatchamacallits, swinging our behinds around like there was money in them.

*stops rambling*

Regardless of positive or negative opinions on the Wii, I think we can agree that it has flushed out all the possible entertainment value on motion controls. So unless Natal kicks up ten AAA games by the end of 2010, I see it failing worse than the Sega CD.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Seems like they've been cracking the whip on Rare since last year with this, apparently there's going to be a string of games being released with this thing.

To say that this will achieve the same success as the Wii is debatable, if it's a string of games that involve nothing but full body motions then maybe not. And do people want a second motion control oriented console (I'm classing it as such for now)?

However do I see good/great games coming for it? Yes, yes I do.

Pendragon9 said:
Yeah, I really don't think Natal will be a success. I don't even know how a good game could come from it.

*rambles like old man*

Really, whatever happened to people just using controllers? We didn't need boards or motion controllers or high definitely newfangled whatchamacallits, swinging our behinds around like there was money in them.

*stops rambling*

Regardless of positive or negative opinions on the Wii, I think we can agree that it has flushed out all the possible entertainment value on motion controls. So unless Natal kicks up ten AAA games by the end of 2010, I see it failing worse than the Sega CD.
Gaming is the mainstream now. Gaming also needs to evolve. If all we are going to do is want better graphics each generation, every gen we'll get more defunct businesses who take chances with a Haze or Lair, until eventually all our games are being developed and published by EActiBlizzard.

The other thing is, Natal is targeting the Wii Sports crowd. What would compel them to buy another console?

EDIT: They're just going to have to do this in moderation, and I think they will. Microsoft aren't stupid. They aren't going to make every game they are releasing into a full body workout, many gamers are too lazy for such things.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
To be honest, I can only see Project Natal working if it can produce some games that uses both the controller and it's motion capture capabilities. I really hope that's what Valve has in mind, cause I don't think I could come home after a long days work to play video games using Natal entirely.

Also, anyone else here wish their name could be Chet? I do.

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
I really cant see this working too well, for shooters you'd have to walk on the spot? Adventure games the same but time 1000? The only think I can really see working for this is Wii Sports esque stuff...

If anything they really should wait with the release for now, I have the feeling they'll release it as soon as it's done and you'll have like one gimmick game for it and it has an equivalent of RROD..

Just my 2 cents

ghalkhsdkssakgh

Jul 16, 2009
I can't help thinking that this is doomed to go the way of the Eyetoy: a gimmicky piece of hardware only used for the occasional drunken party game until slumping into obscurity.

AntiAntagonist

Neither good or bad
Apr 17, 2008
It could deepen certain games, or make them more free-form.

For every console spell system there are a million spells. Unfortunately there are usually only 4 spell slots (not counting menus). Instead of casting a fireball of stonking great damage by preparing several menus before hand a player could make a few shortcut motions (each corresponding to a different verb/adverb).

Another way to think about this is the difference between analog and digital controllers. Digital controllers function in an on/off state and must use several buttons to have any semblance of gradient (light, medium, fierce, etc). Analog controllers have gradient built in, so a heavier button or joystick movement hits harder or runs faster. Motion control like Natal would be another degree of specificity.

A combination of both technologies would be interesting. Say a controller in one hand for basic tasks (running, jumping, basic attacks) and the motion controls for more specific movements or additional interactions (spell casting, hacking, puzzles, etc). I can't imagine sprawling/complex games working well without a controller.

OT: I agree with the Valve dev. There doesn't seem to be any IP or software worth it yet.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
I know it's been said before, but motion control is crap without force feedback, otherwise any game that uses it can easily become a chaotic flail-a-thon. This is the piece of the puzzle that I think game designers are missing. If you are going to use a motion control gimmick, make sure what you are trying to simulate is actual free motion. Things like using the Wiimote for swordplay will always fall flat.

not a zaar

Dec 16, 2008
You know what would be really cool? A force feedback glove. Kind of like a not-shitty Powerglove that uses this tech: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjAxGVH1JOM

AntiAntagonist

Neither good or bad
Apr 17, 2008
not a zaar said:
You know what would be really cool? A force feedback glove. Kind of like a not-shitty Powerglove that uses this tech: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjAxGVH1JOM
Haptics gloves exist, but are usually very expensive. Probably need a visual design makeover, made wireless and cut the price tag to get viable.

not a zaar

Dec 16, 2008
AntiAntagonist said:
not a zaar said:
Haptics gloves exist, but are usually very expensive. Probably need a visual design makeover, made wireless and cut the price tag to get viable.
Yeah, then package a pair of them in with every VR headset and you've got a game revolution on your hands.

Cryo84R

Gentleman Bastard.
Jun 27, 2009
Pendragon9 said:

*rambles like old man*

*stops rambling*

But I'm sure you see the PS3s dildo breathing new life into the system.
I'm still waiting on my PS3 to have 10 AAA titles.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Cryo84R said:
Oh, how I wish you would've read some of my other posts.

Because I've clearly stipulated that I can't stand motion controls on any system. Be it the Ps3's wand, the Natal, or the Wiimote. I was not preferring one form over the other.

No, but you had to turn this into a flameful post and be immature about it.

And to be fair, the Ps3 HAS several AAA titles on it. You're just being biased. And hell, you didn't even put your post on topic.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
I want Natal on the PC and then I want 1000 eager hobbyists developing all sorts of fun / useful open-source software for it, oh yeah!