Valve's Faliszek: "Need to See" Natal's "Compelling Games First"

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
The sooner this plague of motion-control madness runs its course and we can get back to tried-and-true control methods, the better. If anyone needs me I'll be over here with the keyboard and mouse, maybe a control stick for a flight simulator.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
I think this is taking gaminig in the wrong direction

What we really need is a method of gaming were you dont need to move at all. Like no even your hands

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Proteus214 said:
I know it's been said before, but motion control is crap without force feedback, otherwise any game that uses it can easily become a chaotic flail-a-thon. This is the piece of the puzzle that I think game designers are missing. If you are going to use a motion control gimmick, make sure what you are trying to simulate is actual free motion. Things like using the Wiimote for swordplay will always fall flat.
Except the Wii-mote does have force-feedback. Granted not to the precise level that it should (for example it can't really simulate the weight of a sword in your hand) but still.

I really think Natal is taking the motion-control concept too far. It works when you have a controller in hand still, there's something tactile, but when you take that out it's hard to not feel like you're every person who encounters the video camera display in an electronics store.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I don't care for motion control games, so as interesting as it is, I don't care much about it. The Wii is fun sure, but I'm limited on what I care to do with it. So Natal is going to be probably be there with the Wii for me.

Flos

Aug 2, 2008
Here's to hoping we're getting closer to virtual reality with this. I won't be getting Natal because my x-box is on a terribly small television, but the idea is promising. I'm torn between supporting Natal and advancing the industry or shunning it and screwing over innovation.

Unfortunately, nobody's been able to do this without turning it into a sideshow toy for children.