Valve's Portal 2 Mod Crashes Down on Skyrim

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Valve's Portal 2 Mod Crashes Down on Skyrim

A piece of Aperture Science comes to the world of Tamriel.

In celebration of both the Skyrim Creation Kit [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115724-Skyrim-Creation-Kit-Goes-Live-With-a-Bonus] and its new Steam Workshop, Valve and Bethesda have teamed up to create a very special mod for the award-winning RPG. Titled Fall of the Space Core, Vol. 1, the mod stars Portal 2's galaxy-obsessed Space Core crashing down into the realm of Skyrim.

As seen in the video, players can pick up the Space Core and bring him along on their heroic quests. The Space Core can't wield a sword or cast spells, but he does appear to dispense valuable advice to the player, such as how dragons aren't in space, going to space is the only skill they'll need, and why doesn't the player try going to space already?

The mod's description [http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=7375] also reveals that a particularly famous actor provided the voice for the Space Core:

[blockquote]"Since Skyrim was the only major release of 2011 without Nolan North in it, you should consider this mod a patch to fix that problem. You can now feel free to include Skyrim in the "Nolan North" section of your video game library, which is to say, your video game library."[/blockquote]

The Steam Workshop [http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/] is Valve's new digital platform providing a place for players to "discover, rate and download" game mods straight through Steam. Currently it offers mods for both Skyrim and Valve's own Team Fortress 2, but will no doubt feature more titles in the future.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-08-valve-makes-portal-2-space-core-mod-for-skyrim]

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
I saw something on this last night, and I was all "whaaaat?"

I guess it's legit, though. I'll have to try this. I think I might finally be ready to dive back into Skyrim.

Although I also want to try my hand at the creation kit. Hm. We shall see.

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
Wow. He drifted all the way to Nirn. Impressive.

I can't possibly click the Subscribe button fast enough.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Why doesn't the player try going into space yet?
We would, if the game didn't load the last save so fast when a giant tries to knock you into space.

...Use Space Core as a ball to play baseball?
The batter's a giant. :3

ViciousTide

Aug 5, 2011
I was expecting a portal gun. I am dissapointed now. So disappointed that I am going onto my PC now...You see that Interior Cell called your house? Well, look inside that chest you own. Yesss, that's a portal gun mod for your house! Happy portaling!

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
You know what's funny? That the Steam Workshop lets you create and share all kinds of maps and mods for Skyrim, but for Team Fortress 2, the game it was specifically made for, it only lets you share hats.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
The only thing i hate more than EA are portal fans and anyone that inserts portal into everything. So now i must add Valve to my "things i fuckin hate" list. Last thing that was ever needed was a mod portal fanboys. No its not irrational hate. The core was built to be a meme and low and behold it was parroted into infinity(and beyond apparently).

Now every portal jackass i know(and yes i have not burned all of them yet) keeps sending me this fucking link parroting it as the "best mod ever" and 'the only official mod" and it sickens me because they are 100% serious as a god damned heart attack after the god damned Batman punchees you in the throat. *gets text message* MOTHER FUCKERS! *grabs crowbar*
I was once a cynical gamer just like you...until my house took a space core to the roof.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Rednog said:
I was once a cynical gamer just like you...until my house took a space core to the roof.

But seriously people, just to let you know. You are not FORCED to install mods. Getting all worked up about something you don't have to bloody install is really, really silly and does not really speak for a healthy mind.

Kazedarkwind

Inner Working Reviewer
Nov 18, 2009
valve and bethesda working together, could be the end of the world flooding in the awesomeness of this combination.

Amarok

Dec 13, 2008
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
You're acting out to an unreasonable, unjustifiable degree, here. It's a cute little mod by two fine games companies. No reason to add them to a "fuckin hate" list.

And do people REALLY tell you about this stuff at every turn, or do you go out of your way to look for it? Because I must say, I frequent the internet rather a lot but exercising simple judgement regarding what forum posts I do and don't click on, I even managed to make it through the cake days relatively unscathed.

Have a hot chocolate, breathe deeply, and feel better.