Velma on HBO Max.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah, I also got really confused why they decided to use Scrappy Doo as the villain in the movie when I first watched the movie. Now I know that they are just trying to "please" the fans that hated Scrappy, but what they did was just character assassination. Scrappy Doo never treat the gang bad or demanded that they treat him as a leader, not to mention that he had a huge respect for his uncle Scooby Doo. Oh yeah, speaking on "character assassination", they also did this with Scooby in this movie since he let his nephew alone in an desert
Which is why I flipped the movie off, and never even bothered with the sequel, nor that live-action made for TV "prequel" that aired on CN "Real".

Reactions: Gatuno

Gatuno

Jan 16, 2023
Which is why I flipped the movie off, and never even bothered with the sequel, nor that live-action made for TV "prequel" that aired on CN "Real".
I actually like the second movie. Now those TV "prequel" are horrible.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I actually like the second movie.
I know the sequel is good, but it was way too little and way too late by that that point for me. At least second movie wanted to be a Scooby movie, but I rather watch almost any of animated movies that came out in the 2000s and 2010s.

Gatuno

Jan 16, 2023
I know the sequel is good, but it was way too little and way too late by that that point for me. At least second movie wanted to be a Scooby movie, but I rather watch almost any of animated movies that came out in the 2000s and 2010s.
Yeah, the problem of the 2 live-action scooby movie, its that they feel more like a parody of Scooby-doo than an actual movie.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
I am surprised no one realize this intentional sabotage by reality tv seeking execs who completely gutted the animation side of HBO Max to the point you cannot legally watch certain shows is the reaction why Velma is so terrible.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
I am surprised no one realize this intentional sabotage by reality tv seeking execs who completely gutted the animation side of HBO Max to the point you cannot legally watch certain shows is the reaction why Velma is so terrible.
To quote Kate from Don't Look Up, "They're not even smart enough to be as evil as you're giving them credit for."

Gyrobot

May 13, 2020
To quote Kate from Don't Look Up, "They're not even smart enough to be as evil as you're giving them credit for."
You don't cancel a bunch of progressive cartoons, denying people the legal means to watch it as not being smart. In fact it so the kind of brain-dead dumb move a bunch of Republican backed execs can do

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I've heard some people say that the show was made to be as bad as possible to get people to hate-watch it.

I think people SEVERELY overestimate the intelligence and decision-making abilities of corporate executives.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I've heard some people say that the show was made to be as bad as possible to get people to hate-watch it.

I think people SEVERELY overestimate the intelligence and decision-making abilities of corporate executives.
I don’t personally have a dog in this race because so despise all things Scooby Doo, but you’d have to have Loki’s own silver tongue to convince a group of people so notoriously tight fisted with money to let you make something deliberately inflammatory in the hopes of people rubber-necking to watch it out of morbid fascination.

Gyrobot

May 13, 2020
I don’t personally have a dog in this race because so despise all things Scooby Doo, but you’d have to have Loki’s own silver tongue to convince a group of people so notoriously tight fisted with money to let you make something deliberately inflammatory in the hopes of people rubber-necking to watch it out of morbid fascination.
It's easy: "Let's make the most rage worthy "woke" title after we completely murdered the entire animation studio department so it would be easy to pitch Reality Show garbage and piss off those seething trannies."

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I've seen tons of people rant about this show but I've not seen anyone talk about Scooby.

Did they recast Scooby as a pitbull now that they made Shaggy into a black dude that doesn't go by Shaggy any longer (one would think they'd lean hard into Ultra Instinct Shaggy, I guess whoever wrote this show has no idea of what ultra instinct is), or is he not even in the show?

Either way, it's been a good 25 years since I last cared about this IP, I don't think this is any worse than those random real life movies they made with it, it's only bad in a different way lol.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Did they recast scooby as a pitbull now that they made Shaggy into a black dude that doesn't go by Shaggy any longer, or is he not even in the show?
They removed Scooby from the show. It's a Scooby show with no Scooby.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
They removed Scooby from the show. It's a Scooby show with no Scooby.
Well....zoinks?

So, one thing about the discourse surrounding this show has kind of surprised me, and that's people calling out how outrageous it is that they're showing high schoolers in the shower, and sexualizing them. Which, I mean, yes it is, but also these are the same people who don't bat an eye at most anime that does the exact same and even worse shit with underaged characters. Like, they have seen My Hero Academia, right? Which is apparently fine, but Velma is somehow crossing some major line. Can someone explain this sudden behaviour to me, or is it really just as simple as 'when anime does it it's okay, and when western animation does it it's predatory and creepy'?
I think the idea is that the people who lampoon anime about this sort of thing are the same people whom this show is trying to appeal to. If you think there aren't nutty SJWs who complain every time boku no hero has some big titty char on the cover you don't visit twitter much XD.

Recently, there was a char who is invisible so she goes by naked and you usually don't see her but she became visible and was on one of the covers, and you had idiots posting edits of her with clothes covering her up when in the cover she was totally naked (though you couldn't actually see anything because of her pose) and tons of people were calling fans who defended the art creepy or pedos lol.

So yeah, it's not the fans of anime who are complaining about this show. It's the anime haters, or those who are trying to ruin/westernize it at any rate.

Also, a lot of the people who hate on this show are gonna just be right wing conservatives who are gonna be anti-sex but those types typically aren't even aware of anime to begin with so they would launch attacks based on pure prudishness. It's interesting how the conservative prudes and the SJWs come to have the same opinions when it comes to sex sometimes though. Food for thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
You don't cancel a bunch of progressive cartoons, denying people the legal means to watch it as not being smart. In fact it so the kind of brain-dead dumb move a bunch of Republican backed execs can do
Sorry, I'm not sure if you're agreeing with me or not.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

A…am I reading that right…1. fuggin 3? Even for IMDb that makes, well um, the Sharknado sequels look good.

Strangely/sadly I’m all the more compelled to peek into the void for myself to witness the carnage. And I’m not alone by a long shot, considering it’s right behind TLoU on the top ten.

Last edited:

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where

A…am I reading that right…1. fuggin 3? Even for IMDb that makes, well um, the Sharknado sequels look good.

Strangely/sadly I’m all the more compelled to peek into the void for myself to witness the carnage. And I’m not alone by a long shot, considering it’s right behind TLoU on the top ten.
Again, feels like a show written deliberately to be bad and generate hate watching. Being bad is easier than being good, and getting people angry and exacerbated is a lot easier than making them happy. Why put in the effort to make a good show, when a bad one gets the same ratings? Who cares about the audience score if they keep watching it?