Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Not only is Mindy Kaling a talentless hack, she non-consensually kissed a male co-star, and threatened to fire anyone who told people about it.

You will find that a lot of these virtue signaling righteous people are in fact raging at their own shadow when they bemoan the evils of others because they have it in the front of their mind which isn't normal. Never ceases to be amusing at least.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I watched the first couple episodes. It surprisingly had a chuckle-worthy line here and there due to the WTF insanity of it all, but mostly vapant trash otherwise. The bits about the mystery murderer cutting open people’s skulls to scoop their brains out is not so ironically how it left me feeling.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
You will find that a lot of these virtue signaling righteous people are in fact raging at their own shadow when they bemoan the evils of others because they have it in the front of their mind which isn't normal. Never ceases to be amusing at least.
Mindy isn't even a virtue signaller. She is making a truly faux progressive work because people rightfully believe Zaslav is trying poison the well with animated shows by using Velma as an example

We do not benefit from spite watching Velma in any way when it s the ONLY animated show being greenlit among the corpses of truly progressive shows like Owl House, Infinity Train, Final Space among the corpses of Zaslav's cartoon purge

Blessed be KonradLeijon

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where

More proof that writing a bad show and getting hate watched is so much easier than writing a good show and getting fans.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009

More proof that writing a bad show and getting hate watched is so much easier than writing a good show and getting fans.
The thing is though, Velma is no worse than certain other really bad adult animated comedy series. There's loads of equally bad ones that don't get hate-watched. If it is getting hate-watched this was by accident and not by design - A lot of famous comedians are aggressively not funny, and a lot of producers and showrunners are very out of touch. Not that HBO isn't going to squeeze what it can from the heat this is getting.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
The only aspect that matters to me is : Is the culprit actually supernatural ?

That's where I draw the line.

Reactions: Drathnoxis

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, it's almost like the vast majority of adult animated comedy was always just kind of shit and not actually funny, and all it took was the same shit written from a slightly different perspective to make everyone realize that.

Reactions: Gatuno and BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Wow, it's almost like the vast majority of adult animated comedy was always just kind of shit and not actually funny, and all it took was the same shit written from a slightly different perspective to make everyone realize that.
I am not here to defend all adult-animated comedy, but years of trying and failing to either copy South Park verbatim (most of its clones never made it pass their first season or pilot), Robot Chicken, acting as if it's still 2000s Internet Newgrounds/Flash humor, be like Rick and Morty, or imitating Harley Quinn without any of the wit (I use it very loosely with R&M) makes them all boring and nothing to stand out except being more provocative and shocking for the sake of it. It's why you don't find too many defenders of Drawn Together Season 3, and even less for the movie. At least HQ has its fans, and Inside Job (known for taking some visual influence from R&M) does its own thing. Same for Lower Decks, but I have not watched either of three shows I mentioned. Though I have seen clips, and all of them look better than the shit R&M and Velma tried to pull. I still got get on HQ. I might check IJ, and not much of a Star Trek, fan. Though from what I heard, you don't have to be a fan to enjoy the show.

There's a reason why I stopped watching SP around 2017 and many adult comedies before that point. I will give Matt and Trey credit for at least attempting to mix it up, and actually apologize and learn from their mistakes. I can't say the same for a majority of adult animated comedies. I made it a rule a few years back, that if it's an adult animated program that is all comedy, to look from a distance. We need more adult animated stuff like Castlevania. I am not saying that they all need to be action shows, but have some nuance with their writing and not just be shock humor and violence 24/7. Castelvania S3 did suffer from going overboard on the grim and darkness though. S4 dialed it back a good amount. I'll still go for animated shows geared towards kids/teens, because most of them treat their audience with respect and not insecure dumb ass, edge lords without empathy. The only other adult animated comedy I liked was Archer (which is still ongoing!), but I got bored of it after the 3rd season and just show keeps dragging with nothing left. Two of the voice actors on the show died due to age. They should honestly just end it now.

Last edited:

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
Unfortunately, people like Zaslav don't like animated shows and want the cheap to produce Reality TV and murdered several quality animated shows with no way to legally watch them as a tax write off.

The fact people are watching Velma is just a lucky break for Zaslav's executives to lie through their teeth about how people they care about animation when their production script is "Ethnics couples have sex in reality show 49624"

Blessed be KonradLeijon

Reactions: Gatuno

Gatuno

Jan 16, 2023
This shit show will have a second season! If only people didnt hate watch this garbage instead of bitching about it non stopped

Reactions: FakeSympathy

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
I am not here to defend all adult-animated comedy, but years of trying and failing to either copy South Park verbatim (most of its clones never made it pass their first season or pilot), Robot Chicken, acting as if it's still 2000s Internet Newgrounds/Flash humor, be like Rick and Morty, or imitating Harley Quinn without any of the wit (I use it very loosely with R&M) makes them all boring and nothing to stand out except being more provocative and shocking for the sake of it. It's why you don't find too many defenders of Drawn Together Season 3, and even less for the movie. At least HQ has its fans, and Inside Job (known for taking some visual influence from R&M) does its own thing. Same for Lower Decks, but I have not watched either of three shows I mentioned. Though I have seen clips, and all of them look better than the shit R&M and Velma tried to pull. I still got get on HQ. I might check IJ, and not much of a Star Trek, fan. Though from what I heard, you don't have to be a fan to enjoy the show.

There's a reason why I stopped watching SP around 2017 and many adult comedies before that point. I will give Matt and Trey credit for at least attempting to mix it up, and actually apologize and learn from their mistakes. I can't say the same for a majority of adult animated comedies. I made it a rule a few years back, that if it's an adult animated program that is all comedy, to look from a distance. We need more adult animated stuff like Castlevania. I am not saying that they all need to be action shows, but have some nuance with their writing and not just be shock humor and violence 24/7. Castelvania S3 did suffer from going overboard on the grim and darkness though. S4 dialed it back a good amount. I'll still go for animated shows geared towards kids/teens, because most of them treat their audience with respect and not insecure dumb ass, edge lords without empathy. The only other adult animated comedy I liked was Archer (which is still ongoing!), but I got bored of it after the 3rd season and just show keeps dragging with nothing left. Two of the voice actors on the show died due to age. They should honestly just end it now.

There's a part of me that's concerned that even if we do get more animated shows like Castlevania, it will be made by people who took the wrong lessons from that too.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
There's a part of me that's concerned that even if we do get more animated shows like Castlevania, it will be made by people who took the wrong lessons from that too.
That'll be inevitable. Just like Gears of War. Just like Call of Duty. Just like the Dark Age of comic books with the Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns. Just like those who tried to imitate Berserk, and failed horribly on so many levels, there will always be a bunch of imitators that don't get it, take the wrong message, or are only there for the shallowest reasons. If they're good, then they're good. If they're not, then I won't waste any time on them. I have nothing to fear on this.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
The only aspect that matters to me is : Is the culprit actually supernatural ?

That's where I draw the line.
Eh, I dunno. I'd argue that at least Zombie Island was interesting specifically because it broke the "really mundane explanation" formula. Scooby Doo had always been very formulaic, with every episode revealing why some huckster had been exploiting local superstition for their own benefit, and the gang was as used to this as the audience was. Sure, they'd run around scared, but even Shaggy and Scooby always had their eyes out for the clues that would properly explain everything.

And in Zombie Island the gang and audience were expecting more of the same. It's always some guy in a mask trying to scare the locals in service of some financial con. That's the rule. We get to the unmasking...and we're as surprised as the gang is that it's not a mask, nor is it horrible scarring. It's legitimately a zombie, and that's legitimately shocking in a way that is only possible because we'd been trained to believe that it was an absolute rule that the supernatural did not actually exist in this series. The film's break from tradition had a lot of power specifically because of the contrast, and made it work.

Last edited: