Vengeful Jedi and Mean Dentists Pop Up in New BioShock Infinite Screens

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Vengeful Jedi and Mean Dentists Pop Up in New BioShock Infinite Screens

Real dentists just hurt your teeth, BioShock Infinite's [http://www.amazon.com/BioShock-Infinite-Xbox-360/dp/B003O6EB70/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313689061&sr=8-1] dentists throw you through windows.

If you think that the floating city of Columbia is such an interesting setting that BioShock Infinite wouldn't need to go anywhere else, you'd be wrong, at least in the eyes of developer Irrational Games, which seems to think that it also needs a jaunt into an alternate version of 1983.

[gallery=432]

In BioShock Infinite Elizabeth - who the player has been sent to rescue - has the power to open "tears" in the world. As you can see in the screens, one use of this ability is to cause a cargo containers to drop from their rail and create cover. Another is to zap Booker - the game's main character - and Elizabeth into a world where the third film in the Star Wars trilogy is still called Revenge of the Jedi. It's not the first time the Star Wars-themed marquee has appeared in Infinite screenshots, but it's a lot more central than it has been in the past.

There are tears in the other images too, although less the kind you get in pants, and more the kind that come from your eyes. Elizabeth reaches towards Booker with tears in her eyes and wreckage behind her. You can't see the face of the guy who's been thrown through the window, but I bet his eyes are watering at the very least, and that's kind of like tears, right?

The screens come from Irrational's Gamescom gameplay presentation, which will hopefully soon make its way onto the internet for those of us not lucky enough to be there to see it ourselves. BioShock Infinite comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 in 2012.

Source: Irrational [http://irrationalgames.com/insider/irrational-at-gamescom-2011/]

doomboy29

MatchHat
Nov 20, 2009
Hmmmmm. I'm going to try to imagine what Return of the Jedi would be like had Andrew Ryan directed it.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
Revenge of the Jedi = The stars of the original movies going all sith on the prequels and banishing them to a far off land.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Man I pretty sure that Elizabeth will quickly join the rank of the hottest video game girls. I mean who can resist her pretty blue eyes?

dancinginfernal

Sep 5, 2009
Those eyes.

Just...those eyes. I don't know how they did it, but damn. I can't stop looking.

OhJesusChristshe'sHypnotoad

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Mcoffey said:
I thought the game was set in 1910? Or is this just an easter egg?
Well...
I saw in a trailer that Elizabeth can manipulate reality. She tries to heal a horse and whilst doing so they temporarily change the environment affected by her powers into a town area at night with that cinema, so i'm guessing they went into the future.
Here it is.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
I hope I'm not the only one who thinks that girl looks oddly fish-like.

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
Fact: Return of the Jedi was originally called Revenge of the Jedi. Before that it was Blue Harvest, a horror movie to mask the fact that they were filming the next Star Wars movie.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Anyone who wants to see the above scenes in action may wish to take a look at this:

Just saying.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
Flamezdudes said:
Mcoffey said:
I thought the game was set in 1910? Or is this just an easter egg?
Well...
I saw in a trailer that Elizabeth can manipulate reality. She tries to heal a horse and whilst doing so they temporarily change the environment affected by her powers into a town area at night with that cinema, so i'm guessing they went into the future.
Here it is.
Did anyone else notice that the guy in that demo could only wield 2 weapons?

MetroidNut

Sep 2, 2009
Macrobstar said:
Indeed. I'm guessing they're doing that to make the combat more fast-paced; if so, it definitely seems to be working.

Also. I have a crazy little theory about Infinite.

The game uses interdimensional travel (of sorts) as a gameplay mechanic and story element. The Revenge of the Jedi sign - and the scene where it appears, which resembles a noir version of the 1980s - suggests Elizabeth's powers can also be used as a form of time travel. And last but CERTAINLY not least, when Saltonstall went Grimdark in the first gameplay trailer, his pin briefly transformed into...

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100923231958/bioshock/images/0/0b/Saltonstallchanging.png

A hammer and sickle.

Infinite takes place before the Russian Revolution. There shouldn't be a Soviet Union yet. So my crazy little theory? All the events of the game were initiated by time-traveling Soviets. Their possible motivation? Well, Columbia (having seceded from the Union and blown up a Chinese city) quickly became a disaster for the United States. Maybe the Soviets are trying to damage America enough to tip the Cold War in their favor?

It seems like a long shot, but I am absolutely convinced time-traveling Communists are at work here.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
Scarim Coral said:
Man I pretty sure that Elizabeth will quickly join the rank of the hottest video game girls. I mean who can resist her pretty blue eyes?
Me. She has the proportions of a freak and looks like a bobble-head.

Also I want to point out that I REALLY resent the Revenge of the Jedi reference. That's quite a lot of conceit to try and directly associate a game so closely with the original Star Wars trilogy in its early advertising like this. Ken Levine is getting too big for his britches.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
But she's all over the place looks wise. Seriously, those eyes are the only good feature, her head is giant and I can't tell if they're trying to make her look cute an innocent or slightly older and stupid.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
You know, it's looking alot different from Bioshock.

Kinda wish they would call it "Sky Shock" or something.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
DJ_DEnM said:
Fact: Return of the Jedi was originally called Revenge of the Jedi. Before that it was Blue Harvest, a horror movie to mask the fact that they were filming the next Star Wars movie.
Quote For Truth. Elaboration: after the script was leaked to the public, Darth Vader actor David Prowse was attacked by George Lucas, claiming that the man had intentionally leaked the documents to the public to discredit the film. David Prowse has gone on record saying that filming of Jedi was the worst acting gig he ever took. Afterwards, Lucasfilm cut off all communication with the man, and he received minimal royalties for his role.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
MetroidNut said:
Macrobstar said:
Indeed. I'm guessing they're doing that to make the combat more fast-paced; if so, it definitely seems to be working.

Also. I have a crazy little theory about Infinite.

The game uses interdimensional travel (of sorts) as a gameplay mechanic and story element. The Revenge of the Jedi sign - and the scene where it appears, which resembles a noir version of the 1980s - suggests Elizabeth's powers can also be used as a form of time travel. And last but CERTAINLY not least, when Saltonstall went Grimdark in the first gameplay trailer, his pin briefly transformed into...

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100923231958/bioshock/images/0/0b/Saltonstallchanging.png

A hammer and sickle.

Infinite takes place before the Russian Revolution. There shouldn't be a Soviet Union yet. So my crazy little theory? All the events of the game were initiated by time-traveling Soviets. Their possible motivation? Well, Columbia (having seceded from the Union and blown up a Chinese city) quickly became a disaster for the United States. Maybe the Soviets are trying to damage America enough to tip the Cold War in their favor?

It seems like a long shot, but I am absolutely convinced time-traveling Communists are at work here.
You just did the impossible feat of convincing me to buy this game.

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
DJ_DEnM said:
Quote For Truth. Elaboration: after the script was leaked to the public, Darth Vader actor David Prowse was attacked by George Lucas, claiming that the man had intentionally leaked the documents to the public to discredit the film. David Prowse has gone on record saying that filming of Jedi was the worst acting gig he ever took. Afterwards, Lucasfilm cut off all communication with the man, and he received minimal royalties for his role.
I did not know any of that. Thank you my good sir.