Venom 2 Trailer

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I keep seeing references to this, did I miss something in these movies? Like Im guessing this is referring to Venom and Eddie having like...romantic feelings for one another? Or was there like a gay scene between Eddie and the Detective I missed? Like at least as far as I could see both movies are genuinely about how much Venom and Eddie don't like one another and they're forced to tolerate each other for the sake of killing something, and to a lesser degree, a pair of chickens. Not quiet sure where the LGBTQXYZ+ part comes in.

I suppose one could say Eddie being white and Venom being black its a metaphor for post-Civil War reconstruction era South and the tension between the newly freed slaves and the white confederates?
It's the zeitgeist that everything has to have some atypical sexual connotation. I'll give you the scene where Venom ridiculously tells Eddie to get his things and get out of [their] apartment was clearly tongue in cheek nod to a romantic breakup, but the rest of the film is basically just two guys who can't survive without each other in a literal sense; i.e.: Venom needs a compatible host and Eddie can't be his best, relevant self without the abilities imbued upon him by Venom. This film was shamelessly a buddy comedy; romanticizing it is just another angle from which to make commentary that really isn't relevant but feels topical for "reasons."

I'm a heterosexual male who loves my my best friend who is also male. We've fought. We've made up. I promise you there was no sexual tension there. Why cinematic portrayals of something similar automatically become "queer" because it's lazily applicable to modern times is, well, lazy. Unless someone wants to convince me of the tacit sexual tension between Sgt. Riggs and Sgt. Murtaugh from the Lethal Weapon franchise?

The part at the beach where they say they love each other.
So two guys can't love each other and express it unless they're gay?

Reactions: SilentPony

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
It's the zeitgeist that everything has to have some atypical sexual connotation. I'll give you the scene where Venom ridiculously tells Eddie to get his things and get out of [their] apartment was clearly tongue in cheek nod to a romantic breakup, but the rest of the film is basically just two guys who can't survive without each other in a literal sense; i.e.: Venom needs a compatible host and Eddie can't be his best, relevant self without the abilities imbued upon him by Venom. This film was shamelessly a buddy comedy; romanticizing it is just another angle from which to make commentary that really isn't relevant but feels topical for "reasons."

I'm a heterosexual male who loves my my best friend who is also male. We've fought. We've made up. I promise you there was no sexual tension there. Why cinematic portrayals of something similar automatically become "queer" because it's lazily applicable to modern times is, well, lazy. Unless someone wants to convince me of the tacit sexual tension between Sgt. Riggs and Sgt. Murtaugh from the Lethal Weapon franchise?

So two guys can't love each other and express it unless they're gay?
You can add no homo.

Actually they should've played this in the credits.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
You can add no homo.

Actually they should've played this in the credits.
That would actually have been hilarious!🤣

EDIT: OK, I'll give you the rave scene where Venom mentions coming out of the Eddie closet was pretty telling, but again, it was tongue in cheek nod to the resurgence of LGBTQ culture, not an acknowledgment their relationship was romantic in any way.

Last edited:

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
The part at the beach where they say they love each other.
I love my brother and my dad, and most of my male cousins and Uncles. Never had a romantic thought about a one of them.

I mean this both rhetorically, but also looking for insight: is it a healthy position for the LGBTQ+ community to adopt that any two friendly people automatically have to have romantic chemistry? Like for years there was a joke that hot guy and hot girl in a movie HAVE to have sex by the end, because giggle parts make babies. It was considered bad story telling to say a dude and a dudette couldn't be platonic friends, even close intimate friends, they HAD to be fuckers. Doesn't it cheapen the idea that men can be vulnerable and express their feelings if everyone in the theater is shouting "GAAYYY!" at the screen?

I dunno, just feels regressive, like going back to the days of Will and Grace where only queer men could express feelings and they all had to be fruit of the loom gay. No strong silent types, no butch bikers, no doctors or lawyers, no just dudes who like other dudes but don't let it dominate life, just fashion columnists or dancers, every gay guy has fucked every other gay guy, and they all share a single gestalt culture and always know every reference one another makes.
Just, I dunno...unhealthy.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And who would've thought in the 90s that such an edgelord like Venom would end up as as such an uwu character in a queer relationship.
Venoms have plenty of goofy moments despite being all dark and edgy. I'm not talking about the homeroticism, just goofy stuff in general. Self-awareness or not. Mostly not.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Venoms have plenty of goofy moments despite being all dark and edgy. I'm not talking about the homeroticism, just goofy stuff in general. Self-awareness or not. Mostly not.
Remember even though Venom is a super powerful alien by our standards, he's also the nerd loser reject of the symbioets. He doesn't follow their weird elder god religion and has been an outcast most of his life.

Reactions: gorfias

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I love my brother and my dad, and most of my male cousins and Uncles. Never had a romantic thought about a one of them.
I should hope not!
But Venom isn't related to Eddie. He's an alien parasite living up his ass who refers to him as a human closet, tells a beckoning woman she isn't "his type", eventually confesses his love for Eddie and the movie ends with them in bed. So I don't think I'm forcing the gay/queer/whatever lecture anymore than the movie does.

Reactions: MrCalavera

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I dunno, just feels regressive, like going back to the days of Will and Grace where only queer men could express feelings and they all had to be fruit of the loom gay. No strong silent types, no butch bikers, no doctors or lawyers, no just dudes who like other dudes but don't let it dominate life, just fashion columnists or dancers, every gay guy has fucked every other gay guy, and they all share a single gestalt culture and always know every reference one another makes.
Just, I dunno...unhealthy.
It is something that makes me raise an eyebrow. Like all the outrage over General Shang not being in the live action Mulan. Bisexual erasure, they said. For a character who was most definitely not intended to be bi and never even existed in the Mulan legend to begin with. Or Poe and Finn from Star Wars. Apparently characters with roughly 5 minutes of screen time together were destined to be lovers, because they generally acted friendly with each other.

That said, I guess that's just how starved they are for representation. I don't blame them. Still rare to see non-hetero characters in media these days, even rarer for them to be written well. If we'd consider this as a "problem", then the solution would be to just have decent LGBTQIA+ characters.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
It is something that makes me raise an eyebrow. Like all the outrage over General Shang not being in the live action Mulan. Bisexual erasure, they said. For a character who was most definitely not intended to be bi and never even existed in the Mulan legend to begin with. Or Poe and Finn from Star Wars. Apparently characters with roughly 5 minutes of screen time together were destined to be lovers, because they generally acted friendly with each other.

That said, I guess that's just how starved they are for representation. I don't blame them. Still rare to see non-hetero characters in media these days, even rarer for them to be written well. If we'd consider this as a "problem", then the solution would be to just have decent LGBTQIA+ characters.
“Well, Tom and [co-writer] Kelly [Marcel] were always about Venom coming out and going to a party that was a very sort of an LGBTQIA kind of festival, really, I’d call it, and so this is his coming out party basically,” Serkis said. “This is Venom’s coming-out party.”

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
“Well, Tom and [co-writer] Kelly [Marcel] were always about Venom coming out and going to a party that was a very sort of an LGBTQIA kind of festival, really, I’d call it, and so this is his coming out party basically,” Serkis said. “This is Venom’s coming-out party.”
I'd say it's more metaphorical and crassly on-the-nose topical than an actual defining of Venom's sexual orientation (if his species even has such a thing.) Not that I care, just pointing out that an amorphous blob alone defined as male in dialogue being attracted to a human man (and what are the attracting factors?) isn't quite "gay" enough for me to assume its sexual orientation. If I get bit by a male tick that "loves" sucking my blood, did I stumble across a gay tick?

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I haven't (and can't lol) watched the movie so I have no idea what the scene you all are discussing is. I was referring the general phenomenon that SilentPony was talking about. Might not be the case for this movie, but it definitely happens all the time in other properties.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I haven't (and can't lol) watched the movie so I have no idea what the scene you all are discussing is. I was referring the general phenomenon that SilentPony was talking about. Might not be the case for this movie, but it definitely happens all the time in other properties.
Well I saw the movie and didn't need the director, the star/producer/writer and his co-writer to confirm the LGBT subtext they deliberately and markedly put in the film for me to notice it. You don't even have to be looking for it. It's very playful and not at all explicit or they would miss out on the Russian and Chinese markets, but it's all in there.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Well I saw the movie and didn't need the director, the star/producer/writer and his co-writer to confirm the LGBT subtext they deliberately and markedly put in the film for me to notice it. You don't even have to be looking for it. It's very playful and not at all explicit or they would miss out on the Russian and Chinese markets, but it's all in there.
Given how many memes I've seen about gay Venom since the first movie, I'm not too surprised that they leaned into it for this one. Guess I'll see for myself when it hits streaming.