Venting About Valve Again

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
I don't like Valve, but your reasoning seems flawed. Surely you should be hating on the for repeating a tired formula, only ever making half a game (and charging you full price for it) and throwing shitty little scraps to fans to keep them sweet, while not actually bringing them anything they wanted.

Liking the games but having a bad experience of steam purchasing is not why you shouldn't like Valve.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
dangoball said:
And that, my dear escapists, is why most internet services ask for a backup email address.
And you can set your new email as contact address for your old Steam acc. Just saying.
I was going to say. I've done this several times with no issues.
Sucks to be OP I guess.
As my buddy Rich would say, this is a case of PICNIC.
Problem In Chair, Not In Computer.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
PercyBoleyn said:
Those are not rewards.
Saving me money and connecting me with friends easily is a reward

And if you do you are forever forced to use the Steam app in order to play your games. May I remind you that no other DD platform does this. Why is it OK only when Valve does it?
Havnt said it was bad when other companies do it, bit of a strawman, i have nothing against origin. Dont assume i hold an opinion no matter how common.

If you live outside of the EU and use Steam you have voided your right to a class action lawsuit and some other stuff.
Well i dont live outside the EU. Thus my rights havnt been voided. Im sad for those that do. Valve could improve this. Steam is far from perfect. But its good.

I think you're confusing DRM with something else. I'm going to ask you again, how does having your games wired and dependent on the Steam app prevent piracy?
Youve admited further down its DRM, lemme quote you:

"validate them in the first place? Isn't that DRM?"

You admited that its DRM. It prevents piracy because bought and registered games work while pirated games dont work on steam. People want to use steam because steam rewards you for using it by giving you good deals on games. This is better than nothing and the games are cheap and installation is handled for you. It encourages buying the game over pirating it. Pirates lose out on using the steam ap for their game to update and use as a communication device as well as having to manually install. It makes it EASIER for a real consumer by doing a lot of the work for you and making life simpler.

Like what?
All of the above

And what happens if I've got Steam games installed on my computer but my internet goes down? What happens if I want to take a bunch of the games I bought on Steam and instal them on another computer without having to use the internet to download them? I can do this with Gog, I can do this with Impulse, I cannot do this with Steam.
Again i have no issues with other software. I just have no desire to do this. So for me subjectively steam is perfectly fine. You want install games on multiple computers thats perfectly possible. If you do it from CD you DONT have to link them to steam. Thats optional.

So why is it perfectly fine for Valve to force you to be always online in order to play your games but not for Ubisoft or Origin? Ubisoft's Uplay also features achievements and a friends list, so why is it ok to criticize them but not Steam?
Who are you talking about? Is it me? I have no criticism especially for Uplay and Origin i dont have for other things. I dont mind these pieces of software. I have no idea why you assigned me with that opinion. If others show this hypocracy take it up with them. I have zero issue.

Now you're using strawmans. My question was why should I have to be connected to the internet in order to play the games I purchased. You didn't answer that, you went off on tangents. Whether you need internet to use Steam in the first place is besides the point.
Look. To be FORCED to use steam you gotta download from steam. If you buy a CD (for example "the Ball" like i did) you DONT need to connect it to steam to play it. It can be played offline without steam. If you download it from steam it downloads, the internet runs for 5 more seconds and POOF instant validation. Then you use offline play. The answer is quite simply that you dont. You are talking about people who physically cannot exist. This issue cannot arise because its an impossible scenario. There is no way to be FORCED to use steam without having a 5 second internet connection to easily validate it for you and then allow you to use infinite offline play. Offline play can and should be improved. Valve should work on that. I find it to be a non issue because i dont need it.

Objectively steam has some issues. I can understand why some wouldnt want it. Subjectively for me and a LOT of gamers these issues just dont exist. As such we have no complaints.

1.If you have no internet and no steam you can play your CD games normally.

2.If you have no internet and steam games you downloaded can use offline mode. If you dont have internet to validate a CD game resort to 1.

3.If you have the internet and steam you can play your games.

If you purchased your games, why should you have to be connected to the internet and have the Steam app open in order to play them?

And offline mode is notoriously buggy and only works if you're connected to the internet which sort of defeats the point of "offline play".
Offline works only connected to the internet? "Googles"... seems to me a single instance of running these games only the once will enable the use of offline play. This includes if you have no internet connection right from launch. You gotta connect once, switch to offline mode while online just the once and then offline mode will be the default. I gotta admit its complicated and unnecessary. That could do with some fixing up.

But if you choose not to use the Steam app you won't be able to play your games. Why is that?
I can play my games without steam? Oblivion and my Dawn of war series are available through steam but i got the CD and installed seperately. Thats very easily done. Unless what youre saying is why cant you choose not to use the steam app for games you got on steam. Offline mode basically allows this. But yeah. You download it within the steam framework and you play it on steam. Ill concede that maybe this is pointless. I dont really understand why you wouldnt wanna use the steam app but ok yeah there isnt a reason why games downloaded on steam need to be played on steam other than DRM issues. Valve realises this is a bad thing. This is why they need to improve steam to compensate by making the app a useful and cheap shop.

But why should you have to validate them in the first place? Isn't that DRM? Haven't gamers constantly complained about how bad DRM is? Why is it acceptable for Valve to use intrusive DRM but not for other companies? Saying that Valve "rewards" you for using their DRM is not a good enough reason to justify being forced to jump through so many hoops just to play your games.
Games isnt me. I dont mind DRM if it isnt overly intrusive and annoying. The rewards for their DRM far outwiegh the hoops which seem to consist of:

1. Have internet one time when you install the game.
2. Use the ap.

Which to be honest is two very small hoops. Steam isnt perfect, i have no issues with origin and subjectively steam does everything i want and offers very little in the way of issues. Its perfect for me. In some scenarios it is NOT for you. Coming from that place i can imagine why you would say steam is bad. The chances of you being in this scenario are very very very low.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
PercyBoleyn said:
Dude, you've been going back and forth for a while now. Give it up. He doesn't have to justify himself to you. He enjoys the things he calls benefits, I enjoy the things he calls benefits. Just because you don't agree doesn't mean he's wrong or that you're wrong. No one is going to start or stop using Steam from this conversation.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
PercyBoleyn said:
BiscuitTrouser said:
Can you tell us why valve is full of shit? I couldnt care less about gabe. I just enjoy their games and have a LOT of money saved on steam. Thats reason enough for me as a consumer to like them.
The problems with Steam should be obvious. For example, why is it that you're unable to play games you purchased using Steam without being connected to the internet and having the Steam app installed? Incidentally, no other DD service aside from Origin does this. Let me repeat that, no other DD service aside from Origin, powered by the fucking satan of video games, does this.
Funny. If I didn't know any better I'd swear I'm currently playing a game from my Steam account...right now...after loading Steam into offline mode. (no, I didn't start in online mode then go into offline mode. that complaint has never made sense to me because I can always boot into offline mode and play.)

Are you sure you're not confusing Steam with that online-only shit-fest Diablo 3? I mean, I suppose I could see how one could confuse the two. They're both made by high-profile PC-centric software companies and both were designed from the ground up to function as stores.

Captcha: Ball of confusion

Yes Captcha. I do believe there is some confusion going on here.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Wait...........what? You deleted your Steam games from your computer but you're using a new Steam account so you'd have to buy them again? That's not Valve/Steams fault. That's yours. Why can't you just log into your other account? Because that email address is now defunct? Again, not their fault.