Veronica Leaves Archie for Openly Gay Character

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Hurr Durr Derp said:
Tom Goldman said:
If you haven't read Archie Comics sometime in your life, you're either a robot or were raised by beavers.
...or you're, y'know, not American.
I'm Lebanese and I read it... while I wasn't living in the US. Beat that.

OT: Never thought I'd see a gay character in Archie... might change things up a bit. Although saying someone could beat Jug at a bugger eating contest is simply blasphemous. And madness...[sub]SPARTA! Yes I do feel ashamed now...[/sub]

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
I never did like Veronica. This just makes it even easier. You dump a guy 'cause some other dude can eat more than Jughead? Yeah, Ron, you're a *****.

Oh, and yeah, people still read Archie. My Stef still reads them. They've even come out with a line that updated the art style to resemble something from this millennium.

Feb 13, 2008
meganmeave said:
I just hope an openly gay character isn't an attempt to get notoriety for sales. That has been happening too often lately.

"Ratings dropping? Make someone gay!"

If done right, I see no problem with it. But if he is just a shallow attempt to make news, bleh.
Yep, what they're actually doing is forcing a new character to come out as if to say "THIS ONE. THIS ONE IS THE UNCLEAN ONE."

Instead of, you know, Archie confessing that he never could choose between Betty and Veronica because he secretly loves Jughead.

Seriously, openly gay? Are we openly straight now or what?

GamerPhate

Aug 22, 2008
Ok.. wait a second..

I don't follow this comic but I have seen the premise I think.

And you are telling me, she is leaving her boyfriend to be
with this other guy that can eat more hamburgers than Jughead?

And it turns out that he is gay and that is why he is all metro looking and
she falls for him. I hopewe aren't to have to feel sorry for her afterwards.

And is Archie suppose to take her back?

And wait.. Ohhh ... I see what the comic book guy did there.. bastards.. I almost
fell into their trap.....ignore this comic and move on...

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
People still read those comics? Huh. I guess I should have gathered that from the Internet's weird obsession with writing bizarre fan-fiction about a comic that seems to be tailor marketed at my grandparents, such is how horribly irrelevant it is, but really, those are a real thing people actually pay money for?

Do kids read those to be ironic or something?

SeanTheSheep

Jun 23, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
If you haven't read Archie Comics sometime in your life, you're either a robot or were raised by beavers.
Or, y'know, grew up outside of the U.S.
And maybe Canadia if they're into comics there.
And I still haven't got my pictures of the Nintendo chairs yet...

OT: I'm sure that there will be quite a bit of complaining from well meaning fundamentalist christians, but I think this is a step forward if a well established comic is doing this, even if it is probably ten years late in arriving.

Onyx Oblivion said:
Hurr Durr Derp said:
Tom Goldman said:
Well, it's a fact that all non-American's are raised by beavers.
Or we don't exist. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.167814-The-Hitchhikers-Guide-to-Britain#4505755]
[sub]Bloody hell that was a bastard to find.[/sub]

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Tom Goldman said:
Am I the only one up in arms about this new character? Archie Comics is really overstepping its bounds here, if I may be so bold. Do they seriously expect us to believe anyone could beat Jughead in a burger eating contest? Jughead Jones eats a stack of five burgers at once as a snack on a slow day, and some prettyboy out-of-towner is supposed to be able to defeat him just like that? I think not, Archie Comics, I think not. It's pretty forward thinking of them to introduce an openly gay character, though.
I know, right?

Jughead's awesome brain is powered by massive amounts of junk food, how could anyone beat him?

Also, good, good, whatever.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
"keeping the world of Archie Comics current and inclusive"? What? Archie has never been about being current. The whole point of Archie Comics is that it's trapped in the 1940s/1950s. There was pretty much no such thing as an openly gay person back then, and it doesn't fit the setting at all. Let's leave these characters for NEW media, where they MAKE SENSE.

P.S. Thanks

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Hurr Durr Derp said:
Tom Goldman said:
Yeah, gonna say not heard of any of it either.

Well, suppose with times, things change

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Am I the only one up in arms about this new character? Archie Comics is really overstepping its bounds here, if I may be so bold. Do they seriously expect us to believe anyone could beat Jughead in a burger eating contest? Jughead Jones eats a stack of five burgers at once as a snack on a slow day, and some prettyboy out-of-towner is supposed to be able to defeat him just like that? I think not, Archie Comics, I think not. It's pretty forward thinking of them to introduce an openly gay character, though.
This. A thousand times, this.

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
Veronica Leaves Archie for Openly Gay Character

The world of Archie Comics is set to introduce an openly gay character for the first time.

For the past 70 years, the wide variety of books known as Archie Comics have not once featured an openly gay character. This is about to change come September, as Archie Comics has announced it will be introducing its first in issue #202 of Veronica.

Archie Comics is a kid-friendly series that focuses on lovable redhead teenager Archie Andrews and his escapades while attending Riverdale High. Other main characters include jock Reggie, love interests Betty and Veronica (creating a hilarity-inducing love triangle), and burger fanatic Jughead. If you haven't read Archie Comics sometime in your life, you're either a robot or were raised by beavers.

The new openly gay character, Kevin Keller, will be introduced in a storyline called "Isn't it Bromantic?" Kevin first impresses Veronica by beating Jughead in a burger eating contest. Veronica ends up dumping Archie for the new blonde super hunk, only to find out that her milkshake doesn't bring Kevin to the yard. As Veronica desperately attempts to date a man without a firecrotch, Kevin is forced to let her down easy.

The introduction of Kevin is about "keeping the world of Archie Comics current and inclusive," says Archie Comics Co-CEO Jon Goldwater. "Archie's hometown of Riverdale has always been a safe world for everyone. It just makes sense to have an openly gay character in Archie comic books."

Source: Comic Book Resources [http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=25891]

Wait...Wait..Diden't Veronica Marry Archie at some point.

So, wait, she divorced him to go attempt to date a gay guy?

wat?

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
This gay guy is obviously a mary sue.

Beating Jughead in a contest he'd never lose, attracting the girls left and right, and being able to push them away?

Yeah, totally unoriginal.