Veronica Leaves Archie for Openly Gay Character

CyberKnight

Jan 29, 2009
Megido said:
Wolfiesden said:
Well, I guess I won't let my granddaughters read Archie. EVER.
Why? Are you afraid they'll turn into gay men?
I thought maybe it was so they wouldn't turn into shallow princesses that drop their fiancés just because they see someone win a burger-eating contest and equate that with "manliness". I mean come on, that's like a plot out of the nineteen fift--- OOOHHH.

SeanTheSheep said:
Tom Goldman said:
If you haven't read Archie Comics sometime in your life, you're either a robot or were raised by beavers.
Or, y'know, grew up outside of the U.S.
And maybe Canadia if they're into comics there.
Isn't that redundant?

ironfist86

Oct 16, 2008
it is an alien plot to steal our jobs. also, lima beans.

if they wanted to spark some real controversy, they should have archie discover that veronica was sexting with... wait for it... archie's mom! (lipstick lesbians bring all the boys to the yard.)

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009
I remember reading Archie as a kid, and noticing that the black characters only ever dated other black people.

Have there been any openly interracial relationships yet in Archie?

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Popcicle42 said:
Tom Goldman said:
If you haven't read Archie Comics sometime in your life, you're either a robot or were raised by beavers.
Well, apparently I'm a robot raised by beavers. So... no, never read it. Walked by them enough times at the grocery store, though.
Yeah, I'm a robot raised by beavers as well. Again, seen them in the gorocery but I have no idea what the bloody hell that series is about.

OT: What's so bad about being a robot huh? I swear if I hear the T word I'm sueing!

theaceplaya

Jul 20, 2009
Veronica has been going back and forth with Archie for decades, so that part isn't surprising.

I'll bet that this will get a lot of backlash, but for the same reasons people have already said. Not the gay guy, that's not a problem. But Jughead being bested in an eating contest. That is NOT ok.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Wolfiesden said:
Megido said:
Wolfiesden said:
Well, I guess I won't let my granddaughters read Archie. EVER.
Why? Are you afraid they'll turn into gay men?
No. I don't want them associating with genetically defective social and moral rejects or anything that condones it. I do not and will not support gay anything.
Yep you had better lock up your daughters when Gay men are on the prowl

SeanTheSheep

Jun 23, 2009
CyberKnight said:
SeanTheSheep said:
Tom Goldman said:
Or, y'know, grew up outside of the U.S.
And maybe Canadia if they're into comics there.
Isn't that redundant?
How so?
I call it Canadia for good reason.
It's just a long, boring and arduous reason that makes sense to no-one outside of my social circles.

EDIT: I missed the first bold text.
But doesn't that imply that everyone else is a robot?
Because I am neither.
I am a hyperintelligent shade of the colour blue!

KimberlyGoreHound

Mar 17, 2010
Never read Archie, never cared about them, don't intend to start now. I don't see how an openly gay character could possibly be furthering the series, or 'current'. I have nothing against homosexuality, I just think that trying to make a big deal about how 'tolerant' you are by accepting gays is pointless. So what if he's gay? It doesn't make the comic any more interesting, nor is it something on which to dwell.

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
meganmeave said:
Archie has been dead to me ever since Archie proposed to Veronica. Bad Archie! Betty is your gal!
I remember thinking the exact same thing when I first heard about it. However! That particular spin-off series is actually more of a dream sequence, and the last three issues consider what would happen if Archie proposed to Betty instead.

bobknowsall

Aug 21, 2009
Oh god, I'm having Chasing Amy flashbacks.

Sounds pretty cool, though. If they don't make him a hideous stereotype, this could be very interesting.

Wolfiesden

Mar 18, 2010
jamesworkshop said:
It has nothing to do with gay men (or women). Its the culture acceptance of deviant behavior, sexual or otherwise (ie criminal etc).

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
does any one remember the anime archie or the hyper realistic archie, now that was crap.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Wolfiesden said:
jamesworkshop said:
It has nothing to do with gay men (or women). Its the culture acceptance of deviant behavior, sexual or otherwise (ie criminal etc).
Woah!

Did you just compare criminals to homosexuals? I see we have a time-traveller in our midsts.

In other news, that's quite a big step forward. From what I know about Archie comics (this thread / Superdickery) they're a very 'old fashioned' kind of website. If they introduce this character's sexuality casually that's quite a big step.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Am I the only one up in arms about this new character? Archie Comics is really overstepping its bounds here, if I may be so bold.
I actually thought you were protesting a gay character and and read that those lines before continuing and getting the joke.
I have never read archie, but vaguley remember seeing a cartoon based in Riverdale on the BBC once or twice.