Veronica Leaves Archie for Openly Gay Character

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Cgull said:
Wolfiesden said:
jamesworkshop said:
Yep you had better lock up your daughters when Gay men are on the prowl
It has nothing to do with gay men (or women). Its the culture acceptance of deviant behavior, sexual or otherwise (ie criminal etc).
Yep, apparently you can catch 'The Gay' just by looking at them!

I'm actually assuming you're being tongue in cheek, if not, I'm intrigued (geniunely) by what you consider to be non-deviant, acceptable, behaviour (or vice-versa, whichever is easier to put across through the medium of posting).

ANYWAY back on topic - Never read an Archie comic as not something that's really known in the UK though the introduction of a gay character can only be a good thing, surely just a way of showing a new generation that homosexuals are exactly the same as anyone else. Kudos to whoever came up with it!

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
meganmeave said:
Archie has been dead to me ever since Archie proposed to Veronica. Bad Archie! Betty is your gal!

And you are right. Nobody save perhaps J. Wellington Wimpy could beat Jughead in a burger eating contest.

I just hope an openly gay character isn't an attempt to get notoriety for sales. That has been happening too often lately.

"Ratings dropping? Make someone gay!"

If done right, I see no problem with it. But if he is just a shallow attempt to make news, bleh.
And didn't she just MARRY Archie? Like wasn't that the big issue a couple of months ago, Archie marries Veronica?

LifsAndlat

Jul 14, 2009
Therumancer said:
That said I don't approve of this, and not just because I'm anti-gay men. Simply put I don't think Archie is supposed to be edgy or a social platform. Once you start opening up the door to toss in one minority group, you wind up with increasing questions from other minorities like "hey why isn't there a character like me?" at which point you wind up with a bunch of extraneous characters.
So you're against minorities being included in a comic book because then all those silly minorities will want in, and we can't have that?

Aug 25, 2009
Hey, not an American here! Nor am I a robot or raised by Beavers.

And also, 'current and inclusive.' Huh, I thought the gay bandwagon left the station circa the 1990s, or maybe that's just in Britain. So what do I know, maybe nearly thirty years after the laws which made it legal is cutting edge, and maybe this won't be some hackneyed cliched over the top gay character, but buggered if it's going to make me start reading these comics.

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
Do they seriously expect us to believe anyone could beat Jughead in a burger eating contest? Jughead Jones eats a stack of five burgers at once as a snack on a slow day, and some prettyboy out-of-towner is supposed to be able to defeat him just like that? I think not, Archie Comics, I think not.
Seriously. Archie Comics are dead to me now.

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
"If you haven't read Archie Comics sometime in your life, you're either a robot or were raised by beavers..."

Or don't live in America.

I've never even heard of these comics, and even if I had I wouldn't care that a new character was added that was "different". If they want to keep up to date, that's fine by me. If they have massively overestimated the open mindedness of readers, they'll suffer for it.

EDIT: Just realised how many other people pointed out the "not living in America". Glad to know it wasn't just me annoyed.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
LifsAndlat said:
Therumancer said:
That said I don't approve of this, and not just because I'm anti-gay men. Simply put I don't think Archie is supposed to be edgy or a social platform. Once you start opening up the door to toss in one minority group, you wind up with increasing questions from other minorities like "hey why isn't there a character like me?" at which point you wind up with a bunch of extraneous characters.
So you're against minorities being included in a comic book because then all those silly minorities will want in, and we can't have that?
I am against adding minorities to things simply so they will be represented. Token characters have destroyed many things over the years. It's even worse when your dealing with an established work.

Basically, this is a character being added to the comics specifically so there will be a gay in the "Archies", and they even pretty much say that. It's not a character being created for a storyline that they came up with on it's own, who just happened to be gay because it made sense for the story arc.

When dealing with something iconic, I feel that once you start to open these doors they are very difficult to close. Think of it this way, you create the character, give it some time, and hen someone comes along and goes "well you have a member of this group, and give him storytime, why can't there be one like me?" eventually that goes on and next thing you know you've got nothing but giant lists of token characters that have to be used for political reasons and are getting away from the central characters that defined the series which people wanted to read about to begin with.

Other than being gay, what does this character bring to the Archie-verse? Being gay is his defining characteristic, there isn't much else that even those promoting the idea can say about it other than "we have a gay character! we're being politically correct and representitive", and of course hopefully selling more comics because they did something edgy.

I find it ridiculous.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
In the year 2010, a comic book character is revealed to be gay. Well, ok...
*sips coffee and turns page of newspaper*

To be honest, a much better title would have been: "Comic series running for 70 years has low sales, pulls stunt that stopped being shocking 30 years ago to compensate"

baker80

Oct 17, 2008
Am I the only one up in arms about this new character? Archie Comics is really overstepping its bounds here, if I may be so bold. Do they seriously expect us to believe anyone could beat Jughead in a burger eating contest?
Just piping in to say that this really had me laugh. After the introductory sentence, I was really expecting to hear you say that Archie Comics are going to burn in hell for ruining your wholesome midwestern childhood memories by soiling their pristine comic experience with faggots. So, well done! You got me good there.

As to the rest, this totally isn't anything new for Archie Comics. They've been making dirty innuendo out the ass for as long as I remember, so going all they way and actually making someone gay (if only to set up a cheap joke) isn't really all that groundbreaking.

Mr. GameBrain

Aug 10, 2009
Even though I was raised by robot beavers, and I haven't read an actual Archie comic.
I am aware that it exists, even watched a few episodes of it when it came out.

As for this, I'm not too suprised really.
Some corporate must've gotten paranoid enough of being attacked by the PC squad to finally make the plunge.

LifsAndlat

Jul 14, 2009
Therumancer said:
LifsAndlat said:
Therumancer said:
I am against adding minorities to things simply so they will be represented. Token characters have destroyed many things over the years. It's even worse when your dealing with an established work.

Basically, this is a character being added to the comics specifically so there will be a gay in the "Archies", and they even pretty much say that. It's not a character being created for a storyline that they came up with on it's own, who just happened to be gay because it made sense for the story arc.

When dealing with something iconic, I feel that once you start to open these doors they are very difficult to close. Think of it this way, you create the character, give it some time, and hen someone comes along and goes "well you have a member of this group, and give him storytime, why can't there be one like me?" eventually that goes on and next thing you know you've got nothing but giant lists of token characters that have to be used for political reasons and are getting away from the central characters that defined the series which people wanted to read about to begin with.

Other than being gay, what does this character bring to the Archie-verse? Being gay is his defining characteristic, there isn't much else that even those promoting the idea can say about it other than "we have a gay character! we're being politically correct and representitive", and of course hopefully selling more comics because they did something edgy.

I find it ridiculous.
But you haven't read the comic, and have no way of knowing that the character's only defining trait is that he's gay. Already we've seen that he can beat Jughead in a hamburger contest (which I agree that no one should be able to do that), and that's a pretty defining characteristic. Chuck isn't 'just black', a token character added for political correctness. Chuck is heavily involved in sports and maintains a healthy relationship with Nancy.

Think about it this way. If Archie comics had decided to add an Asian character to the comic series, would you object to that, because clearly his only feature would be that he was Asian, and he was just added for political correctness?

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
If you haven't read Archie Comics sometime in your life, you're either a robot or were raised by beavers.
Or weren't raised in the US, which is like 95% of the world population

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
"her milkshake doesn't bring Kevin to the yard"
Best statement you've ever made.
---

Other than that I hope they put the gay guy in there for more than just appeasement.

Milkman Dan

Sep 11, 2008
It's funny to read comments along the lines of "People still read this?" about a comic that's probably been published since before they were born. Next you'll be shocked about finding out that Disney still publishes comics about Uncle Scrooge and the like.