Veronica Leaves Archie for Openly Gay Character

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
But you haven't read the comic, and have no way of knowing that the character's only defining trait is that he's gay. Already we've seen that he can beat Jughead in a hamburger contest (which I agree that no one should be able to do that), and that's a pretty defining characteristic. Chuck isn't 'just black', a token character added for political correctness. Chuck is heavily involved in sports and maintains a healthy relationship with Nancy.

Think about it this way. If Archie comics had decided to add an Asian character to the comic series, would you object to that, because clearly his only feature would be that he was Asian, and he was just added for political correctness?[/quote]

The differance is that with Chuck there is quite a bit that could always be said about him, and has been for a long while from the very beginning.

Right now pretty much the only thing the guys writing this new gay character can say is that he's gay, and point out how progressive it makes them to include one. When his introductory story arc is as banal as described, it's a bad sign. The telling part though is it being described as "progressive and forward thinking" meaning that the writers themselves did it for THAT reason, rather than any paticular desire to create the character itself or any storylines that they felt were begging to see develop that required such a character.

Now yes, if someone was to say "Well you've got a gay guy, and a black guy, and whatever else.. why can't there be an Asian guy?" and then the creators go "well to be progressive and forward thinking we have created a new Asian character, and for his introductory story arc he impresses Betty by defeating Moose in Football tryouts right before outsciencing Dilton and then..."

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Apparently I was raised by beavers because I have never read an Archie comic. Damn those people costumes they were always wearing were very well made.

baker80

Oct 17, 2008
Right now pretty much the only thing the guys writing this new gay character can say is that he's gay, and point out how progressive it makes them to include one.
Who the fuck cares, honestly? They can do whatever they want with their comics, it's not like anyone reads them because of their deep social commentary. Comics are a way for overprivileged first-worlders to kill some time, and that's about it.

No minorities that actually needs the attention (like starving African orphans, maybe) are in a position to actually ***** to us about it, so they certainly aren't doing it to pacify any actual gay rights groups. They are simply opening up a new demographic by making a random character gay. It certainly isn't going to have an impact on whatever passes as plot for Archie comics.

FrndlyMisanthrpe

May 28, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Am I the only one up in arms about this new character? Archie Comics is really overstepping its bounds here, if I may be so bold. Do they seriously expect us to believe anyone could beat Jughead in a burger eating contest?
Hah, nice one.

traineesword

Jan 24, 2010
i've never heard of this comic, asked my parents and they don't have a clue either.
I've got the gist that it is 70 years old though... its not often things manage to go on for that long, so i can understand why people are suprised.

i've got a question though, are the characters the same age as they were when the comic started?

CyberKnight

Jan 29, 2009
SeanTheSheep said:
CyberKnight said:
SeanTheSheep said:
Tom Goldman said:
If you haven't read Archie Comics sometime in your life, you're either a robot or were raised by beavers.
Or, y'know, grew up outside of the U.S.
And maybe Canadia if they're into comics there.
Isn't that redundant?
How so?
I call it Canadia for good reason.
It's just a long, boring and arduous reason that makes sense to no-one outside of my social circles.

EDIT: I missed the first bold text.
But doesn't that imply that everyone else is a robot?
Because I am neither.
I am a hyperintelligent shade of the colour blue!
Yeah, I was trying to imply "isn't everyone in Canada raised by beavers". Joke kinda fell flat on its face, didn't it?

Oh well. Time to put an end to this hooloovoo and get back to work...

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
Yeah dude, Betty was always the better fit for Arch...

I mean
Yeah dude *snort* I never read that stuff. Ugh...*hides jughead comic book*

MercenaryCanary

Mar 24, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
Am I the only one up in arms about this new character? Archie Comics is really overstepping its bounds here, if I may be so bold. Do they seriously expect us to believe anyone could beat Jughead in a burger eating contest? Jughead Jones eats a stack of five burgers at once as a snack on a slow day, and some prettyboy out-of-towner is supposed to be able to defeat him just like that? I think not, Archie Comics, I think not.
Yet another example of the sheer brilliance and wit of the Escapist's writers.

Blackvegie

Nov 16, 2009
I agree, I think it's ridiculous that anyone could beat JUGHEAD at an eating contest. I estimate that Jughead's diet is over 30 000 calories per day. If he was a real person he would be 700 pounds overweight. The person who could beat Jughead though? I'd say about the size of a blue whale.

atalanta

Dec 27, 2009
For one glorious second I thought Veronica was leaving Archie for another woman.

meganmeave said:
Archie has been dead to me ever since Archie proposed to Veronica. Bad Archie! Betty is your gal!
My thoughts exactly. Seriously, what was he thinking?

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Starke said:
Hurr Durr Derp said:
Tom Goldman said:
If you haven't read Archie Comics sometime in your life, you're either a robot or were raised by beavers.
...or you're, y'know, not American.
Lucky bastards.

Why have I read that crap? I swear it gets force fed to all of us or something.
Even us Canadians....

DoW Lowen

Exarch
Jan 11, 2009
Oh shit run, it's Fred Phelps!

Also, never read an Archie Comic however this does seem forward thinking. One of the family TV shows in Australia which has been running for over 40 years has still yet to introduce a gay character despite Sydney's mayor being openly gay (and kind of in your face about it).