Veronica Leaves Archie for Openly Gay Character

Toar

Nov 13, 2009
I don't try to be a homophob, but I have to say, we don't need homosexuality in everything now'a'days.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Fursnake said:
Starke said:
Sylryeth said:
Exactly how old is Archie?
He's been a teenager since the dawn of time. He'll never age or die until someone decapitates him.

Wiki says he's been 17 since 1941.
Archie is a vampire and soon the Archie comics wil tie in with the Twilight series.
Or Christopher Lambert will come along and decapitate him. Either way it's a marginal improvement.

Rutskarn

Feb 20, 2010
CloggedDonkey said:
yep, the darker and gritter reboot of Archie. It almost saddens me. Sure, this is a huge step forward for people realizing gays are human too and blah blah blah, but they're making a darker and gritter reboot of the frikin' Archie comic book series! And yes, I am happy that they are putting in a gay character, I just find the fact that they have a gritty reboot of Archie as a little off putting. The spinoff Jughead is pretty funny though.
Are they doing a grittier reboot? Did I miss something? The gay bit doesn't really qualify.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
The dude that wrote this article said:
Archie Comics is really overstepping its bounds here, if I may be so bold. Do they seriously expect us to believe anyone could beat Jughead in a burger eating contest?
Yes it makes no sense, now a hotdog eating contest I could believe (I'm not trying to make anyone mad with that)

I've never actually read an Archie comic even though I go to a comic shop every friday, in fact I've only read an issue of the Justice Society of America (because Captain Swastika was on the cover an it intrigued me) and the last issue of Kick-Ass (since the movie was coming out, oh yeah you guys'll never believe what happens to Big Daddy). Interesting I may leaf through it while I'm waiting when it comes out, pending if the Dethklok comics aren't sold out.

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
Rutskarn said:
CloggedDonkey said:
yep, the darker and gritter reboot of Archie. It almost saddens me. Sure, this is a huge step forward for people realizing gays are human too and blah blah blah, but they're making a darker and gritter reboot of the frikin' Archie comic book series! And yes, I am happy that they are putting in a gay character, I just find the fact that they have a gritty reboot of Archie as a little off putting. The spinoff Jughead is pretty funny though.
Are they doing a grittier reboot? Did I miss something? The gay bit doesn't really qualify.
yep. I was at a comic convention last weekend, and there I learned they would be making the series more aimed toward the 14-16 crowd with a harsher(grittier) and more real(darker) reboot of the series. It could work, I just doubt it will because we aren't talking about X-men or Superman here, where talking the Archie comics. but like I said, they're still keeping the childish glee from the old series in Jughead. seriously, go check it out, it's funny.

Blazenwizard

Mar 17, 2010
"Am I the only one up in arms about this new character? Archie Comics is really overstepping its bounds here, if I may be so bold. Do they seriously expect us to believe anyone could beat Jughead in a burger eating contest? Jughead Jones eats a stack of five burgers at once as a snack on a slow day, and some prettyboy out-of-towner is supposed to be able to defeat him just like that? I think not, Archie Comics, I think not."
ROFL that was hilarious and so true..Jughead Jones IS the Burger King

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
I applaud this.
Hopefully this is a step towards wiping out homophobia completely.

Rutskarn

Feb 20, 2010
CloggedDonkey said:
Rutskarn said:
CloggedDonkey said:
yep. I was at a comic convention last weekend, and there I learned they would be making the series more aimed toward the 14-16 crowd with a harsher(grittier) and more real(darker) reboot of the series. It could work, I just doubt it will because we aren't talking about X-men or Superman here, where talking the Archie comics. but like I said, they're still keeping the childish glee from the old series in Jughead. seriously, go check it out, it's funny.
Yeah, I concur. That's ridiculous. Who the hell is that going to appeal to, anyway? Is there really a demographic going, "Oh, man, I love me some Archie, but I wish it was totally different from what Archie is. That would be awesome."

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
Rutskarn said:
CloggedDonkey said:
Rutskarn said:
CloggedDonkey said:
Yeah, I concur. That's ridiculous. Who the hell is that going to appeal to, anyway? Is there really a demographic going, "Oh, man, I love me some Archie, but I wish it was totally different from what Archie is. That would be awesome."
their audience is right here:

Romblen

Oct 10, 2009
Those Archie comics were always politically correct in every way possible. It's not much of a surprise that they added in a gay character. Eventually they would have to or the easily offended readers would eventually start yelling homophobia.

Rutskarn

Feb 20, 2010
CloggedDonkey said:
Rutskarn said:
CloggedDonkey said:
Rutskarn said:
CloggedDonkey said:
Twilight has the dark edginess of a lavender loofah. Unless the series is actually adding vampires, I highly doubt there'll be an overlap.

Trevor L. Cooper

Mar 18, 2010
Therumancer said:
I've read Archie. I think everyone goes through that phase a bit. :)

Once you start opening up the door to toss in one minority group, you wind up with increasing questions from other minorities like "hey why isn't there a character like me?" at which point you wind up with a bunch of extraneous characters.
Which begs the question... why is Riverdale (newly "progressive" city) the only city in the world that has no minorities what so ever. I mean, to the best of MY knowledge, I've never seen anyone with a pigment darker than Khaki.

And to comment on the "new gay kid" story, seriously watch Chasing Amy.
It's all laid out for you... There has been a TON of homosexual undertones through-out Archies existence.

-T

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
Rutskarn said:
CloggedDonkey said:
Rutskarn said:
CloggedDonkey said:
Rutskarn said:
CloggedDonkey said:
Twilight has the dark edginess of a lavender loofah. Unless the series is actually adding vampires, I highly doubt there'll be an overlap.
hey, don't be so insulting to the dark and edginess of Lavender Loofah! but I doubt it will sell well, saying the sudden turn away from the H.A.Z.E code, more comics like mindfield(yes, I learned how to do that) are hitting the market, I don't see how this can make it without going back to the classic formula.

newbienator

Jun 26, 2009
Somesone remind me how many times she's said "sorry Archie we're over"...o well I prefer Betty anyway.
And Christ this thing's still going? Are there still new Superman and Batman comics too?

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
The only Archie Comics I've read are the Sonic comics they make, which were pretty badass, though now they have all the awful characters the games have I'm inclined to think they've gone down in quality as well.

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
70 years and they've never seen a homosexual before... now THAT'S insane. Think they could have done this sooner?

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Am I the only one up in arms about this new character? Archie Comics is really overstepping its bounds here, if I may be so bold. Do they seriously expect us to believe anyone could beat Jughead in a burger eating contest? Jughead Jones eats a stack of five burgers at once as a snack on a slow day, and some prettyboy out-of-towner is supposed to be able to defeat him just like that?
Has anyone yet pointed out that Mr. Weatherby has beaten him in a burger eating contest, before?

Admittedly, it's because Jughead had been eating constantly all day, but still.