Veronica Leaves Archie for Openly Gay Character

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
Rule 34 on Archie and Kevin?

I've never read it, to be honest. Never even heard about it, but I'm a little curious as to why it's ended up on a gamers magazine?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Trevor Cooper said:
Therumancer said:
I've read Archie. I think everyone goes through that phase a bit. :)

Once you start opening up the door to toss in one minority group, you wind up with increasing questions from other minorities like "hey why isn't there a character like me?" at which point you wind up with a bunch of extraneous characters.
Which begs the question... why is Riverdale (newly "progressive" city) the only city in the world that has no minorities what so ever. I mean, to the best of MY knowledge, I've never seen anyone with a pigment darker than Khaki.

And to comment on the "new gay kid" story, seriously watch Chasing Amy.
It's all laid out for you... There has been a TON of homosexual undertones through-out Archies existence.

-T
Well, Riverdale isn't really supposed to be a city as I understand things. Rather it's supposed to be a small or mid-sized town or suberb where time more or less stands still.

There HAVE been minorities and such in Archie, but admittedly not as major characters. It is pretty "whitebread" overall, but then again it started publication in 1939 I believe. To be honest it has had racist fingers pointed at it (as have shows like Buffy The Vampire Slayer, though that gets into another whole discussion) but it's no worse than TV shows or movies with an all black cast or whatever. The majority is simply treated differantly when it comes to such things.

As far as homosexual undercurrents in Archie, I disagree strongly. Part of the reason why I am making this arguement is that the whole thing is supposed to be innocent. On some levels it's odd that something so seemingly boring continued on in consistant publication as long as it has, but I digress. People can take something like Archie and "read into" things jokingly very easily. Sort of like how people can point to "undercurrents of homosexuality" in say Batman. This is especially true when you look at something with a very long publication run and ignore things like time frame. There are entire galleries dedicated to old comics and how easy it is to take them out of context given modern attitudes. Not just sexually, but in general. The site "Superdickery" for example roasts Superman with his own material something awful.

Of course it can also be pointed out that people have taken jokes based on misintepetation a bit further at times. For example "Penthouse Comix" once ran an Archie parody called "Pets" drawn by some of the same artists which if I remember had Veronica and Midge as dominatrixs and some other stuff, which was both pretty graphic, and also very funny if you've read Archie specifically because of how innocent it was and some things could be "run with" in odd directions.

The point is that Archie should stay out of politics, and trying to introduce "edgy" characters and such. That's not the kind of escapism it provides. Sort of like how at one point they did a bit with "The Punisher" going to Riverdale and going insane due to the innocent naivity of the place (he was looking for a Drug dealer if I remember). Hack/Slash did the same thing though they used an equivilent as opposed to literally using Riverdale, but were looking for a slasher.

To put things into perspective, when your dealing with a series where it's out of character to even have a drug dealer, or someone puffing a joint for that matter, I really don't think it's the place to start trying to insert homosexuality into the mix.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
wordsmith said:
Rule 34 on Archie and Kevin?

I've never read it, to be honest. Never even heard about it, but I'm a little curious as to why it's ended up on a gamers magazine?
Doubtlessly, with things like Penthouse Comix (which to my knowlege has long since been defunct, but probably has a current incarnation by some company somewhere) you've even had Archie's own artists producing the stuff at various times as a joke outside of the series.

However, I think "The Escapist" is dedicated to fandom in general and all forms of escapism. It covers comics (and Archie is one of the longest running comics of all time I'd imagine), paper and pencil RPGs, movies, and all kinds of things. Gaming is just a more major focus than many other things.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
meganmeave said:
I just hope an openly gay character isn't an attempt to get notoriety for sales. That has been happening too often lately.

"Ratings dropping? Make someone gay!"

If done right, I see no problem with it. But if he is just a shallow attempt to make news, bleh.
Yep, what they're actually doing is forcing a new character to come out as if to say "THIS ONE. THIS ONE IS THE UNCLEAN ONE."

Instead of, you know, Archie confessing that he never could choose between Betty and Veronica because he secretly loves Jughead.

Seriously, openly gay? Are we openly straight now or what?
You always have the ability to make me laugh, where do you find all this stuff?

SamSandy

Mar 8, 2010
The sheer amount of ignorance in this topic makes me sad. Someone even claimed that there were no openly gay people in the 50's, which is a load of bull. And bigoted people are the reason gay people have kept themselves closeted for so long in the first place.

On the other hand, this discussion further prooves that openly gay characters are needed in even kid's comics, so that we gay people could someday finally be accepted as normal human beings with our pros and cons. Homosexuality does not make people mentally ill or criminals, nor does the gay rights movement seek more rights than what heterosexual people have.

The more kids see and deal with openly gay people, the better they realize we are normal humans just like everyone else. ;)

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Yep, what they're actually doing is forcing a new character to come out as if to say "THIS ONE. THIS ONE IS THE UNCLEAN ONE."

Instead of, you know, Archie confessing that he never could choose between Betty and Veronica because he secretly loves Jughead.

Seriously, openly gay? Are we openly straight now or what?
Haha! I love this cover! This reminds me of the "Superman is a Dick [http://www.superdickery.com/]" website with all those old Superman covers that are unintentionally hilarious. At least I think the humor is unintentional.

Lauren Admire said:
meganmeave said:
Archie has been dead to me ever since Archie proposed to Veronica. Bad Archie! Betty is your gal!
I remember thinking the exact same thing when I first heard about it. However! That particular spin-off series is actually more of a dream sequence, and the last three issues consider what would happen if Archie proposed to Betty instead.
Hmmm... a dream sequence you say? Well, that might redeem Archie a little. Might. As long as the Betty dream sequence proved she was indeed Archie's gal. I might have to take a look at this series now though.

SharPhoe said:
meganmeave said:
"Ratings dropping? Make someone gay!"
Hey, it's working for the Enquirer/Globe/Examiner/[insert cheap tabloid here]. Seriously, there's a new "gay scandal" on their front page every week.
Yeah, Archie isn't going to seem all that shocking by comparison. They should have had the Shyamalanesque revelation be that Moose leaves Midge for the love of a squirrel.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
DoW Lowen said:
Oh shit run, it's Fred Phelps!

Also, never read an Archie Comic however this does seem forward thinking. One of the family TV shows in Australia which has been running for over 40 years has still yet to introduce a gay character despite Sydney's mayor being openly gay (and kind of in your face about it).
In what way?

The whole "I don't mind gays as long as they don't rub it in my face (awful pun)" argument has always seemed pretty odd to me. Us hetero's rub people's faces in it all the time. Our sexuality I mean. I'm not saying that's what you're saying, I just thought of it when you said what you did.

Also: Why was Wolfiesden ONLY been suspended? The fucking numb nut should have been banned.

DoW Lowen

Exarch
Jan 11, 2009
Woodsey said:
DoW Lowen said:
Oh shit run, it's Fred Phelps!

Also, never read an Archie Comic however this does seem forward thinking. One of the family TV shows in Australia which has been running for over 40 years has still yet to introduce a gay character despite Sydney's mayor being openly gay (and kind of in your face about it).
In what way?

The whole "I don't mind gays as long as they don't rub it in my face (awful pun)" argument has always seemed pretty odd to me. Us hetero's rub people's faces in it all the time. Our sexuality I mean. I'm not saying that's what you're saying, I just thought of it when you said what you did.

Also: Why was Wolfiesden ONLY been suspended? The fucking numb nut should have been banned.
The mayor of Sydney... is very gay in the sense that footballers are very straight. You'll never see her put up for mistletoe for Christmas but during the Marti Gras, Sydney becomes a flamboyant oyster with tight spandex and hot leather. Don't get me wrong, I love the party times (although I wish Christmas in Sydney had a few more lights) - I'm just saying she is very, very, very gay.

WingedFortress

Detective
Feb 5, 2008
I can't really justify this as forward thinking. If Archie comics have been around for 70 years, and homosexuality is thousands of years old, then I dont think the writers are exactly breaking down walls with this new character. Besides, if it ends up perpetuating stereotypes, then we just have another generation of kids who will get to the know label before they get to know the person.

Face it, this is a money grab. They arent going to end up doing anything more than play off some stereotypes, and if thats pioneering, then "Saved by the Bell" was a pinnacle of cultural equality and understanding.

Bottom line is, don't let these bastards make any money off this new press. Good comic's go unmentioned on these forums(How about Joe Sacco? I'd beg you to read footnotes from Gaza and say that this Archie plot is worth a hair on your ass) and we have to hear about a new Archie character? Cut the bullshit. This is stupid, hair-brained scheme to make money off a generation of little girls that will end up forming their opinions on a group of people from the pages of a 3 dollar comic instead of through conversation.

Bravo? I think not.

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
Hurr Durr Derp said:
...or you're, y'know, not American.
Um, most Americans were raised by beavers, thank you very much. Or eagles.

Well, there goes that "Hilarity inducing love triangle" you were talking about. Is it a love square now?

Audioave10

Mar 24, 2010
More politically-correct sillyness or looking for another customer base to increase sales.
Everybody's doing it.

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
I guess that makes me a beaver or robot. But then I always had taste when selecting my reading material.

smileyboybob

Nov 14, 2007
haha this stories not only accepting to gays, its totally dissing veronica. She shes so horrible that she has the power to turn guys gay!

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
newbienator said:
Somesone remind me how many times she's said "sorry Archie we're over"...o well I prefer Betty anyway.
And Christ this thing's still going? Are there still new Superman and Batman comics too?
Yup. Well, I think it's The Goddamn Batman now, but, still.

In related news, is it just me or does that character's face creep anyone else out?

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
Hurr Durr Derp said:
Tom Goldman said:
If you haven't read Archie Comics sometime in your life, you're either a robot or were raised by beavers.
...or you're, y'know, not American.
Not really. I was raised in Pakistan (17 years to be exact), and I literally grew up on Archie comics---that and shitty knockoffs of NES and Sega games.