Victorian Bushfires: 209 recorded dead

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Labyrinth said:
Lord Krunk said:
Labyrinth said:
I'm just curious as to how they'd go about gathering evidence. Fire wipes out lots, after all, especially one so ferocious.
That's what gets me. I want the guy to get caught, but I don't know how they'll nab him.
I predict a lynch mob.
Victorians are too nice for that.

But Sydneysiders? That's a different story.
orifice said:
Labyrinth said:
I'm just curious as to how they'd go about gathering evidence. Fire wipes out lots, after all, especially one so ferocious.
The fire would probably have been less intense at it's point of origin. So if they can find this point there may be some remains of the ignition source, and if they're real lucky, chemical traces. Unfortunately the fingerprints are almost certainly destroyed so linking someone to the crime scene will require witnesses or proving ownership of something found at the crime scene. This means the perpetrator in unlikely to be caught. His karma will get him though!
Every time he steps into a church;

BAM!

Proskub

Feb 5, 2009
The arsonists. It's like if a couple of people were throwing a jar of arsenic to each other across a city's water supply. WHAT DID THEY EXPECT TO HAPPEN!?? Also, its not like everybody in Australia does not know the danger of bushfires. Most people have seen one, and if not certainly heard about it.

Starnerf

The X makes it sound cool
Jun 26, 2008
This is why I could never live in a place as dry as Australia or the southwest US. I mean anywhere you live is going to have dangerous weather, but you can't "set" a thunderstorm. This is really disgusting that people have no regard for the lives of their friends and countrymen and with so little effort can effectively destroy a city.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Firstly I offer my Condolences and prayers.

I hate to crap on everyone's vengeance parade but you guys are starting to sound like an angry mob, I hope this isn't becoming the general consensus in Australia. In the states we had something similar (though not even half as deadly) two years ago, many called out for blood, until the likely perp was found
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_world/2007/11/01/2007-11-01_kid_admits_starting_massive_southern_cal.html
a young boy who was playing with fire

I am a corrections officer and my brother is as well (different state different level)
And I don't know about Aussie prisons but in the states we're smart enough to put people into 'protective custody' when they are a high profile case. Usually though a criminal is an odd duck few will attack someone even a mass murderer who eats people; unless one of the victims was kin to them. However, getting beat up by some idiots in prison is not justice it's vengeance and I am 100% positive Australia's people and justice system are better then that.

Again, god be with them all and the firefighters.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
Good friend of mine lost most of his family farm in Kinglake. But none of his family members or anything which was a relief. If anything I hope the fires will create greater awareness of environmental issues like climate change and water shortages, rather than death penalties or prison terms for arsonists.

nekolux

Apr 7, 2008
Gum trees are also really invasive water suckers ( like literally they take up loads of water ) so not only do they have fumes which allow the fire to spread quickly, they make the land more prone to a fire in the first place.

*sigh* All those lives lost. Just so the koalas can assimilate the leaves to get high. Please dont take offense at that. People lost a lot of stuff, i was simply jesting =)

latenightapplepie said:
Good friend of mine lost most of his family farm in Kinglake. But none of his family members or anything which was a relief. If anything I hope the fires will create greater awareness of environmental issues like climate change and water shortages, rather than death penalties or prison terms for arsonists.
The "create awareness" thing has gone long enough dont you think? I think it's time your government dish some punishment out to those assholes. " But it was just a cigarette butt ", are you that much of a dumbass? It's freaking 47 degrees CELSIUS. People are dying of heatstroke and you leave a cigarette butt out on extremely dry land, scorching temperatures and eucalyptus fumes in the surrounding atmosphere.

No, in my opinion, these guys are endangering killing people. It's way past the point of endangering now. So, you bring down the law and you bring down the law hard. Tighter police patrols. Potential areas where bushfires may occur with or without human intervention should be completely cordoned off. Walking in there would be considered trespassing, punishable by a jail sentence.

If you dont come down hard. The random dumbfucks will never learn. The only way to get anything through some thick skulls is to scare it into them.
Labyrinth said:
Get them before the fire starts. In places that are pre marked as high risk areas. Set up cameras that link up information to a central database. If a fire is suspected to be started by humans we check the appropriate logs. Expensive, but 131 lives is a lot more expensive.

An alternate solution would be to set up 20 cameras. only 5 are real. The rest are dummies meant to scare the idiots. No one must know that dummies are around of course.

Or cordon off the area with motion sensors forming a perimeter around the area. Denser police patrols. Add the two up, if someone goes in, the police heads in there. And like stated above, arrested for trespassing.

ace_of_something said:
In the states we had something similar (though not even half as deadly) two years ago, many called out for blood, until the likely perp was found
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_world/2007/11/01/2007-11-01_kid_admits_starting_massive_southern_cal.html
When i was 8 or 9 or whatever his age was. I didnt go around starting fires, destroying people's property, killing what was it 9?
Imo criminal charges follow as usual. As for where he serves his jail time. Juvenile prisons exist for a reason.

Paper-Moon

Feb 5, 2009
ace_of_something said:
I hate to crap on everyone's vengeance parade but you guys are starting to sound like an angry mob, I hope this isn't becoming the general consensus in Australia. In the states we had something similar (though not even half as deadly) two years ago, many called out for blood, until the likely perp was found
When I was 7 I knew not to mess with fire. I also knew that if I did somehow start one, that I needed to call 911 right away. Seriously, did this kid not want to save his own house atleast?

This is absolutely horrific and my heart goes out to the people who lost their homes and loved ones. I do have faith that they will capture the perp, they did manage to catch they guy who started the massive wildfire in California last year.

Gitsnik

May 13, 2008
Danzorz said:
Labyrinth said:
Danzorz said:
It also burns evidence into the ground, the forensics today can go to where the fire started and find a match without even trying, yeah the arsonist is fucked.
Finding a match is one thing, finding evidence which connects it to a person is entirely something else.
With the amount of outrage caused by this there will be a full scale investigation and when I mean full scale I'm talking full scaleI mean 1000's of people working on this case, the criminal has no chance.
In the past we've caught our arsonists by evidence that I would have considered inadmissable in any other case. Mostly strong happenstance and then confessions.

Finding a match is probably the best you can do at any time, then you have to determine who was there/in the area and work from there. Yes they will investigate this hardcore, but there is a lot less trace evidence to be found in a bush-fire than in a city burner.

The other point I was going to make was that the fire probably didn't burn as hot where it started, so that area probably has been burnt out before the intensity kicked in - finding a match or a cigarette or whatever at that point would probably be easier.

~~ Gitsnik, Friend of one who died trying to get away.

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
Noamuth said:
173 recorded dead and counting.

This is making me feel sick..
This [http://www.smh.com.au/national/pastors-abortion-dream-inflames-bushfire-tragedy-20090210-832f.html?page=-1]

Will make you feel worse.
Sometimes people just need to shut the fuck up.

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
Armitage Shanks said:
Noamuth said:

This [http://www.smh.com.au/national/pastors-abortion-dream-inflames-bushfire-tragedy-20090210-832f.html?page=-1]

A) The people that started this deserve to be curb stomped and forced to drown in their own blood, brought back to life then imprisoned for life.
B) I hope that sadistic fuck gets knee capped, then abortion, stem cell and anything else pricks like that disagree with become legally allowed.

Some people honest to god sicken me.

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
Yeah the police are treating "all fire locations as crime scenes" and Rudd called it mass murder. What those responsible can in fact be charged with is arson causing death, which has a maximum sentence of 25 years. Could be they died in the fires themselves, a high proportion of arsonists do. Whatever the causes or outcomes, this is a tragedy.

In solidarity indeed.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Armitage Shanks said:
Noamuth said:

Oh.

My.

God.

Wow, that's just sad. I mean, the Pope claiming that homosexuals were worse than global warming was one thing, but this is just wrong.

As for the current events; I feel a public lynching coming soon.

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
Armitage Shanks said:

...*Twitch.*

Edit: He did say that the economic crisis can be blamed on human sin though... In a certain light, that's almost malleable.

Noamuth

May 16, 2008
Armitage Shanks said:
Noamuth said:

.. Fucking scumbags.

MelziGurl

Jan 16, 2009
I'm in Langwarrin at the moment on holidays with my partners family. On Saturday, I can only remember a grey smokey sky and lots of wind. The wind was extra specially hot. My partner has a brother living in Bendigo with his wife and 5 daughters. They had to be evacuated, but luckily their house still stood.

Horned Rat

Feb 4, 2009
It's up to 181 now, expected to pass 300.

And yea, those responsible wouldn't last 5 minutes in prison. It might be murderers and rapists in there, but they have rules. Dixon here in NZ died in prison recently and he was getting constant beating from prisoners 'cause attacked 2 women with a sword and shot a guy.

Ryuzix

Jan 21, 2009
The fire started on my birthday, luckily I live in Sydney but I feel extremely sorry for those affected, I donated $50 the next day at school. The fact that an arson did this pisses me off and when I saw Ruddy on the news he looked a bit lost for words at times.
And if I can remember, the death toll is over 170 now.

Ryuzix

Jan 21, 2009
Armitage Shanks said:
Noamuth said:

I hate blind followers...