Video - D&D's Rage of Demons Trailer is Epic Horror Done So Right

PatrickJS

Jun 8, 2015
Video - D&D's Rage of Demons Trailer is Epic Horror Done So Right

Wizards of the Coast has unleashed their Rage of Demons launch trailer, featuring Drizzt Do'Urden, Orcus, Demogorgon, and a host of mind flayers.

This is the stuff Wisdom saves were made for. The epic trailer for Dungeons & Dragons' latest storyline, which spans its miniature, online, and tabletop versions, has to be seen to be believed - and even then, you might not survive the experience. Also, spoilers! You've been warned:

Two thoughts, right off the bat: is that Orcus taking control of the illithid Elder Brain? And can Drizzt really solo Demogorgon?

Out of the Abyss, produced by WizKids [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142164-Out-of-the-Abyss-Preview-Backgrounds-Bonds-and-Orcus-Stats-Dungeons-and-Dragons-5e], should be already out.

So, what do you guys think? Are you still capable of thinking? Anyone's brains get sucked out through the top of their skull, perchance?

Source: Wizards of the Coast [https://dnd.wizards.com/dungeons-and-dragons/story]

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
All I could think was during this trailer is how it begged to be underscored by some early 2000's "shut up mom it's not a phase!" 'metal' music. Talk of trying too hard, sheesh. Not to mention the absolutely awful CGI. In a world of Blizzard and BioWare trailers that looked like absolute crap.

And of course they have to go with everyone's 'favourite' drow, aka the guy who ruined drows for DM's, Drizzt. Yeah, I've never been much in the extended D&D stuff maybe outside of the videogames, and this doesn't look like something that'll change that.

CecilT

Apr 27, 2015
Makes me wish my old group still played. Always enjoyed whenever we ventured into Ravenloft, since it was more horror and not as much "vanilla" orcs and elves. Mind Flayers are terrifying.

Joseph Harrison

Apr 5, 2010
It's nice to see some dark Fantasy since the vanilla 5e is always so light and high fantasy, I prefer my demons and dark fantasy, thank you very much. It's weird to see a trailer for a DnD module though.

briankoontz

May 17, 2010
Next thing you know they'll have trailers for breakfast cereals. Super Cereal with epic bites!

PatrickJS

Jun 8, 2015
CecilT said:
Always enjoyed whenever we ventured into Ravenloft, since it was more horror and not as much "vanilla" orcs and elves. Mind Flayers are terrifying.
Likewise! Orcs and elves are overplayed - DnD should capitalize on the stranger monsters in their repertoire. I guess that's everything that falls under the "aberration" category...

CecilT

Apr 27, 2015
PatrickJS said:
Likewise! Orcs and elves are overplayed - DnD should capitalize on the stranger monsters in their repertoire. I guess that's everything that falls under the "aberration" category...
I DM'd for a while back when the D20 license was fresh and other companies were releasing supplements. I had a series of Monster Manuals (I think they were called Sword and Sorcery?) that had some amazingly bizarre creatures. After playing for the longest time with our old DM, I was tired of fighting Goblins and Orcs. So when I took over with a campaign, I went with all kinds of outlandish creatures that messed with the players. It came down to a high level wizard who's wife was in a coma and he tried to use magic to wake her up but instead unleashed all the monsters that lived in her nightmares. (which was what was taking over the world)

Good times.

PatrickJS

Jun 8, 2015
CecilT said:
I had a series of Monster Manuals (I think they were called Sword and Sorcery?) that had some amazingly bizarre creatures.
Wow, that brought back memories. I had the same books - the Sword and Sorcery Creature Collection. I based a whole mini-campaign around these "Tempus Twins" I found in one of these books - twin humanoid creatures with power over time (or one creature at different points in its existence)

Darknacht

May 13, 2009
CecilT said:
PatrickJS said:
I DM'd for a while back when the D20 license was fresh and other companies were releasing supplements. I had a series of Monster Manuals (I think they were called Sword and Sorcery?)
You are probably thinking of the Creature Collection series, and I agree they where great, especially if you wanted to really through your players off balance. They where published by Sword and Sorcery as part of their Scarred Lands setting which was a really interesting setting.

CecilT

Apr 27, 2015
Darknacht said:
You are probably thinking of the Creature Collection series, and I agree they where great, especially if you wanted to really through your players off balance. They where published by Sword and Sorcery as part of their Scarred Lands setting which was a really interesting setting.
YES! That's it. They were great to read and provided an endless supply of new ideas. I had a bunch of the Scarred lands supplements but never ran a campaign there.