Video Game Coorporations and Politics.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

This article came out about Bungie making comments on the recent Roe v. Wade issues, making a twitter post in support of keeping women's rights in tact. To which people on Twitter, because it's Twitter and of course they did, began to shit on the company. Telling them to "just make games".

And it got me thinking. We all know that companies don't give a shit about social or political issues. The only reason tweets like this are made in the first place are for publicity and to try and capitalize on a bit of "good faith" marketing. Nothing more. This is showcased every June where on the 1st every company changes their twitter logo to be rainbow in LBGT support, but on July 1st those logo are back to normal. And while there is nothing wrong with these companies doing this per se, it just comes across as so hollow that I really wish companies would shut the fuck up.

I don't need Acitivision tweeting about Jan 6th. I don't need Wendy's dying the red-heads hair for a month. None of it matters because it's all soulless. Part of me does wish companies would shut the fuck up and just do whatever it is they do without false social marketing.

The only exception to this is when the company actual does some good. It's all fine to make a tweet about supporting women's rights but sending thoughts and prayers is meaningless. You know what would be cool? If you want to show company support for women's rights......make a donation to women's charity. Then at least someone sees some benefits from your "Support" instead of a stupid fucking twitter message. Nobody likes Twitter anymore anyway after Elon bought it.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Nobody liked it before then, either, so... status quo maintained?
He promiesed no changes so i guess that checks out lol.

Remember, it's only "politics" if I don't agree with what you're saying.
Right so why say anything like that at all? I mean either way you are going to piss people off, so why deal with the backlash of a possible bad take just for social points?

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Right so why say anything like that at all? I mean either way you are going to piss people off, so why deal with the backlash of a possible bad take just for social points?
Yeah, that's the price you pay for exercising your right to speech: someone might disagree with it and disassociate with you. Hence why corporations tend to just post messages that more or less everyone already agree with or are inoffensive enough that those that disagree with it are too unimportant financially to affect the bottom line.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Yeah, that's the price you pay for exercising your right to speech: someone might disagree with it and disassociate with you. Hence why corporations tend to just post messages that more or less everyone already agree with or are inoffensive enough that those that disagree with it are too unimportant financially to affect the bottom line.
Yet sometimes they do cross that line and have to walk back the statement and it's always a big overblown thing. My point is if you want your company to make a stand, then donate and keep your mouth shut. Then you actually do some good and don't have to worry about sticking your foot in your mouth.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
If a company wants to make a statement about something let them say it and let the chips fall as with anybody making a statement.

Yet sometimes they do cross that line and have to walk back the statement and it's always a big overblown thing. My point is if you want your company to make a stand, then donate and keep your mouth shut. Then you actually do some good and don't have to worry about sticking your foot in your mouth.

As long as they talk the talk and walk the walk commenters going to comment.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

This article came out about Bungie making comments on the recent Roe v. Wade issues, making a twitter post in support of keeping women's rights in tact. To which people on Twitter, because it's Twitter and of course they did, began to shit on the company. Telling them to "just make games".

And it got me thinking. We all know that companies don't give a shit about social or political issues. The only reason tweets like this are made in the first place are for publicity and to try and capitalize on a bit of "good faith" marketing. Nothing more. This is showcased every June where on the 1st every company changes their twitter logo to be rainbow in LBGT support, but on July 1st those logo are back to normal. And while there is nothing wrong with these companies doing this per se, it just comes across as so hollow that I really wish companies would shut the fuck up.

I don't need Acitivision tweeting about Jan 6th. I don't need Wendy's dying the red-heads hair for a month. None of it matters because it's all soulless. Part of me does wish companies would shut the fuck up and just do whatever it is they do without false social marketing.

The only exception to this is when the company actual does some good. It's all fine to make a tweet about supporting women's rights but sending thoughts and prayers is meaningless. You know what would be cool? If you want to show company support for women's rights......make a donation to women's charity. Then at least someone sees some benefits from your "Support" instead of a stupid fucking twitter message. Nobody likes Twitter anymore anyway after Elon bought it.
This is kind of why I like IGN more than a lot of the more "indie" game news organizations (At least as far as podcasts are concerned). Pretending to be "anti-establishment" only to then turn around and do the same things pisses me off, if you can't be truthful then stop wasting my time with your empty words and just do your damn job.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This is kind of why I like IGN more than a lot of the more "indie" game news organizations (At least as far as podcasts are concerned). Pretending to be "anti-establishment" only to then turn around and do the same things pisses me off, if you can't be truthful then stop wasting my time with your empty words and just do your damn job.
Even in comparison I can't stand IGN. They've acted anti-establishment plenty of times. They just say whatever they want to give views and clicks.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
What was anti-establishment about that article?

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Then what was the comment about choosing other gaming news media over alleged anti-establishment leanings about?
The whole, "just do you your job", part. Companies are not my buddy and I resent the whole schtick where they act like they have a deeper connection outside of whatever transaction I make with them.

Some people care about a political topic, some are on one side, some are on the other, some don't care, some do care but don't want to hear it all the time. There is a time, a place and a person for these topics to be discussed with and I am deeply and intimately aware of how bringing up topics people don't care to discuss, for whatever reason, is not appreciated, on both sides of the equation.

Reactions: Brokencontroller

Brokencontroller

Elite Member
Dec 30, 2021
Country
usa
The whole, "just do you your job", part. Companies are not my buddy and I resent the whole schtick where they act like they have a deeper connection outside of whatever transaction I make with them.

Some people care about a political topic, some are on one side, some are on the other, some don't care, some do care but don't want to hear it all the time. There is a time, a place and a person for these topics to be discussed with and I am deeply and intimately aware of how bringing up topics people don't care to discuss, for whatever reason, is not appreciated, on both sides of the equation.
I kind of agree with the idea of companies just shutting the hell up about stuff. Make a donation and change your icon for rainbow month, but what good does coming out saying , "We agree/disagree with the thing that is a topic of the moment" really do for anyone?

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA

In fact, I wish people in general would stop doing this. People who "say" they actually support something, but never actually doing anything to support it. If you're not going to throw in some money or march out to protest in support of X, or do something to actually advance X, you don't really support it, you're just acting like you do to make yourselves look good.

This is especially annoying with fake overblown outrage. It doesn't matter whether it's racism, sexism, homophobia, etc. The vast majority of people screaming bloody murder over something done to group X are not only not members of group X themselves they have no intention of doing anything whatsoever to stop whatever it was that was inflicted on group X. This shows they don't actually care, they just want an excuse to justify being jerks to people. This is why this fake overblown outrage tends to be over incredibly petty stuff and the only action any of them ever take is going on Twitter or Facebook or whatever and metaphorically yelling at the top of their lungs to make themselves look like they are bigger and more important than they actually are rather than actually doing something.

At least corporations have the excuse that they're trying to make money off of it by improving their image. These fake outrage people just want any reason to stir up trouble.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Brokencontroller

Elite Member
Dec 30, 2021
Country
usa
In fact, I wish people in general would stop doing this. People who "say" they actually support something, but never actually doing anything to support it. If you're not going to throw in some money or march out to protest in support of X, or do something to actually advance X, you don't really support it, you're just acting like you do to make yourselves look good.

This is especially annoying with fake overblown outrage. It doesn't matter whether it's racism, sexism, homophobia, etc. The vast majority of people screaming bloody murder over something done to group X are not only not members of group X themselves they have no intention of doing anything whatsoever to stop whatever it was that was inflicted on group X. This shows they don't actually care, they just want an excuse to justify being jerks to people. This is why this fake overblown outrage tends to be over incredibly petty stuff and the only action any of them ever take is going on Twitter or Facebook or whatever and metaphorically yelling at the top of their lungs to make themselves look like they are bigger and more important than they actually are rather than actually doing something.

At least corporations have the excuse that they're trying to make money off of it by improving their image. These fake outrage people just want any reason to stir up trouble.
This is why i laugh when people say "thoughts and prayers" as if that will fix the tsunami that just wiped 20k people off the map. Gimme a break at lease give the redcross some support

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
To be fair, some of them probably know you better than your actual friends do.