Video Game Marketing Tactics that you would and/or do fall for every time?

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
I think I de facto became the biggest Switch fan boy here.

And I was thinking about how great the system is. Or more over, how well it sold just on the premise of making your games yours again. If you want to continue, you can bring it along with you anywhere. It actually has made me more excited about video games again.

And it made me think about what I would do and how the Switch Pro or New Switch would get me. I'm admittedly a sucker for it. And I thought if Switch Pro or 2 had a dataplan that Nintendo set up... yeah, yeah, I'd buy a dataplan card every month to game on the go. It would make games like Warframe make more sense to me because the device provides a stable connection.

And I hate subscription stuff. But yeah, I'd do it for the Switch.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Rereleases that have the DLC. Rereleases on modern consoles. Physical copies of indie games. Basically anything that avoids a Scott Pilgrim situation and lets me avoid using legacy inputs.

I'm also vulnerable to skinner boxes. Part of why I liked CoD4 and it's sequels was that I'd have half a dozen little bars fill up after a match. Get the same vibe running daily bounties in Destiny. I like completing tasks

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I am a sucker for pre-order bonuses if they come with a CD soundtrack or artwork books. They've ususally delivered on that end for me. The only time I felt dissapointed was with Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z. That was more so the game than the actual bonuses though.

Basically anything that avoids a Scott Pilgrim situation and lets me avoid using legacy inputs.
This too. Especially if it's a game I really enjoy. It's why I bought 4 different copies of Streets of Rage 4. One was for my older brother. They later ended making more physical copies for retail, but at the time, Limited Run Games lied about there being limited physical copies.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I dunno...marketing the game by showing that it actually is a good game truthfully and earnestly?

That's the only sort of game I ever get.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Really good trailers that structure the game to smack my "Yes Please" brain buttons like a lab animal on cocaine. Usually things like really kick ass music, implying that I'll be playing as someone fixing a horrible situation, or defending against horrible things. If you slap on a coat of "And it's a legacy story" paint on it too, you are REALLY likely to get my money.

I won't say I fall for it EVERY time, but yeah, you're doing well if you have those elements in your trailer, even if I know nothing about your game itself.

Let's see, what else. If you have a cat/dog as a primary companion, or even the MC (like the upcoming Stray game), prominently in the adverts, that's got my attention.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Nothing really. I really don't fall for stuff like Skinner boxes or shiny graphics. If your game has a loot system, you're gonna have to go above and beyond to convince to even want to try it.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Music I think is probably the weakest chain in the defense. Though I do very much at least recognise when it's used more cynically, such as those """hip""" phone network commercials, bank and other finance industries using the ever-oh-so-disarming ukulele major chords to assure you that they are just innocent friends of the Earth putting their comforting hand on your shoulder over this cozy campfire bonding. To which they can go and cynically asphyxiate themselves for. But devs like Supergiant got a hold on the good shit. Licensed music can work too, with a well thought out trailer. It won't garuntee sale, just a closer interest in what's going on.

Reactions: BrawlMan

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Remasters

I'm a big slut for a new coat of paint.
100% turbo slut.

In the thread for the upcoming Mass Effect Remaster, there was a general feeling of "meh", and I just cannot wait for it.

Honestly, I want the games that I love to be the best that they can be. I don't mind shilling out the cash for an almost guaranteed great time.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
100% turbo slut.

In the thread for the upcoming Mass Effect Remaster, there was a general feeling of "meh", and I just cannot wait for it.

Honestly, I want the games that I love to be the best that they can be. I don't mind shilling out the cash for an almost guaranteed great time.
I also just really like replaying games I like... a lot. So if a game I like, and that I've replayed 10 times already, gets re-released with shinnier shit I just get that vein ready like a mad man - I was there for that Red Faction: Guerilla reMARStered, and Dragon's Dogma remaster, yo. Knowing how the PS5 ups the framerate to 60 for most uncapped PS4 games already has me salivating at the prospect of replaying The Last Guardian, Until Dawn, and even Days Gone which I don't even like much at all.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Warhammer 40k. Most of them suck, but some I play the shit out of to this day. Space Marine, Deathwatch, Dawn of War 1-2, Chaos Gate, Armageddon. Put Warhammer in something and I'll cave within a month, unless its like 10 kinda of rancid, like Dawn of War 3

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Blizzard games. My first PC game I've ever played was Starcraft.

Warcraft 3 is one of my favorite games of all time

Reactions: gorfias

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I don't fall for marketing; I've become far too cynical to trust that the bits they're willing to put out front for sales are what I'm going to get. And while that IS a cynical mindset, it also allows me to temper expectations and enjoy what I finally get. Point in case: I was far less upset about Watchdogs' infamous graphical downgrade than the controversy wanted me to be. It was a great game and looked just fine if not exactly as it was sold pre-release.

Reactions: gorfias

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I don't fall for marketing; I've become far too cynical to trust that the bits they're willing to put out front for sales are what I'm going to get. And while that IS a cynical mindset, it also allows me to temper expectations and enjoy what I finally get. Point in case: I was far less upset about Watchdogs' infamous graphical downgrade than the controversy wanted me to be. It was a great game and looked just fine if not exactly as it was sold pre-release.
I still don't get the Watchdogs controversy. If you actually watched the gameplay demos, they were missions from the final game. The game you PLAYED was the the game they showed and I got exactly what I expected the game to be. I was assuming the graphics were high-end PC stuff from the beginning. The game looked pretty damn good to me as it looked better than PS3's best linear games in an open world. What else are you gonna expect from next-gen?

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I still don't get the Watchdogs controversy. If you actually watched the gameplay demos, they were missions from the final game. The game you PLAYED was the the game they showed and I got exactly what I expected the game to be. I was assuming the graphics were high-end PC stuff from the beginning. The game looked pretty damn good to me as it looked better than PS3's best linear games in an open world. What else are you gonna expect from next-gen?

I don't really get that people acted like it was something new or unexpected.

I mean, the first instance of that kind of chicanery was when Sony/Square loaded up all the FMVs of Final Fantasy 7 and none of the actual ingame graphics to sell that game/PS1 via commercials. And I'd probably be able to find older if I'd been aware/alive of games media prior.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't really get that people acted like it was something new or unexpected.
I honestly did not see the point nor hype. Even if the graphics were delivered, you were still getting a mediocre GTA clone with hacking and not much else, but small subtle differences. Sleeping Dogs and Saints Row already had more to offer before WD1 even came out.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I honestly did not see the point nor hype. Even if the graphics were delivered, you were still getting a mediocre GTA clone with hacking and not much else, but small subtle differences. Sleeping Dogs and Saints Row already had more to offer before WD1 even came out.
Watchdogs is far superior to GTA
Even driving. I think a lot of things were better in Sleeping Dogs but the hacking flavour was fun and different. Just not $60 different.

The hype was stupid though. It never deserved that. I dont know how people got that hyped over the trailer I saw.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Watchdogs is far superior to GTA
If you say so. Me personally, I don't care about either of them, because of: A.) Ubisoft, and B.) GTA style games I got bored with around Saints Row 2 for the most part.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
If you say so. Me personally, I don't care about either of them, because of: A.) Ubisoft, and B.) GTA style games I got bored with around Saints Row 2 for the most part.
You forgot C) Rockstar and Take Two. Just because they are slightly better than Ubi, doesn't mean they get a pass from me

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Bethesda Games, and Live Service Games. I always have hope they will get better when they suck. Case in point Fallout 76; it got better and will get better, but man did it suck in the beginning.

I even brought Anthem, however, I am not touching Avengers until the combat gets a lot better, and is more diverse then close quarters combat for everyone.