Video Game Marketing Tactics that you would and/or do fall for every time?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Bethesda Games, and Live Service Games. I always have hope they will get better when they suck. Case in point Fallout 76; it got better and will get better, but man did it suck in the beginning.

I even brought Anthem, however, I am not touching Avengers until the combat gets a lot better, and is more diverse then close quarters combat for everyone.
Wait... is 76 good now?

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Guess you could say I fall for well-done preview/tech/launch trailers. Also the fact that CDPR is basically including a bunch of stuff on gog that other devs/pubs would charge an extra $20 or so for helped convince me to give Cyberpunk: 2077 a preorder. Considering it’s also the only game from them I’ve done so with, and that I’ve paid less than a full priced game for their last three special editions combined, makes it more justifiable for a dev that has a history of strong customer appreciation.

Reactions: gorfias

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Well, anything FROM puts out I'll reliably get if its on PC based off of experience. Aside from that, most of my purchases go to games that I've seen LP'd and look fun so realistically if you could pay a couple goons and maybe Markiplier/Muyskerm/Minion to play it and make it look fun I would probably consider it.

Music I think is probably the weakest chain in the defense.
This as well, plus beautiful visuals. My purchase of Dark Souls and my introduction to FROM was actually prompted by the lead in cutscene to the O/S fight and the musical score that went along the gameplay.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Its considered a really goofy MOBA game meant to try to get into the e-sport scene, rather than a honest Dawn of War/40k experience.
So you didn't play it, cause if you did you would know how inaccurate that is.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You forgot C) Rockstar and Take Two. Just because they are slightly better than Ubi, doesn't mean they get a pass from me
I never implied they did get a pass; all I said was that I got sick and tired of GTA style games. Nothing more, nothing less.

Reactions: Trunkage

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
No I played it, its pretty horrible. I have 15hours according to Steam.
Then maybe you just don't play many mobas since its not really that close to them. Plus the single player is totally divorced from the multi maps.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I am a graphics whore of the 1st order. But I need to set my expectations.
They marketed this way back when:

What I got was this: example.

Way back then I thought I just needed new hardware to get what I saw in the trailer.

This kinda explains what is going on:

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
I am a graphics whore of the 1st order. But I need to set my expectations.
They marketed this way back when:

What I got was this: example.

Way back then I thought I just needed new hardware to get what I saw in the trailer.

This kinda explains what is going on:

Wait, you thought the above Batman cinematic trailer was actual in-game graphics?

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Wait, you thought the above Batman cinematic trailer was actual in-game graphics?
I was young(er) but, yup. This is what really taught me the difference between not only trailers but cut scenes and gameplay. The fun thing is that increasingly, at least there is a shrinking difference between cut scenes and gameplay. Uncharted 4 is an example.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
To your bewilderment, yes.

Because otherwise it would have been shut down and cancelled by now if it was still garbage.
Well, I play ESO. So I know how they made a pretty poor experience into a good one. It's just that the base game was much better

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Its considered a really goofy MOBA game meant to try to get into the e-sport scene, rather than a honest Dawn of War/40k experience.
What is even considered to be the "Dawn of War experience", seeing as Dawn of War 1, 2 and 3 are vastly different from each other?

Don't get me wrong, I really like 1 & 2 a lot (for different reasons, mind you) but the franchise is just this weird thing where each entry seemingly has very little to do with each other, aside from being 40K and some kind of RTS game.

For the record, Dawn of War 3 really didn't do it for me, either.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
What is even considered to be the "Dawn of War experience", seeing as Dawn of War 1, 2 and 3 are vastly different from each other?

Don't get me wrong, I really like 1 & 2 a lot (for different reasons, mind you) but the franchise is just this weird thing where each entry seemingly has very little to do with each other, aside from being 40K and some kind of RTS game.

For the record, Dawn of War 3 really didn't do it for me, either.
Sync kills, Race variety, Modular units instead of somehow scouts needing to be scouts and sniper scouts to artificially make the pad out the roster, compelling narrative (subjective), natural cover, changing the map with gameplay (armor could smash a wall creating cover for Ground, a mortar round can make partial cover), map variety, Timely cutting edge graphics to display the Horrors of War in 40k.