Video Game Predictions thread

mirbrownbread

Elite Member
Nov 16, 2022
Belgium
Country
Belgium
I think Fallout76 really hurt them. Much the same way that Cyberpunk hurt CDPR.
I find that to be a good thing since now they'll have to make an actual good game for a change. I don't "despise" those companies or anything, but they've relied on the good wind on their backs left by Skyrim, Fallout 4 and TW3 long enough... Saying "it just works" simply won't cut it anymore

Reactions: BrawlMan

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Alright, I'll play. To save time, I'm going to make predictions about what "will" happen, not what "won't," otherwise I'll be here all day. So on that note:

-The revival of Project Ares is legit, and will indeed be a StarCraft FPS akin to Battlefield

-Sonic Frontiers will get its sequel in the later half of the 2020s. It'll do okay, but by the 2030s, Sonic Team will have switched to a new formula because of course they will.

-Mass Effect 4 will release, will use the Destroy ending as canon (boo!), will have the geth as the primary antagonists. Everyone will agree it's better than Andromeda, but not as good as the original trilogy.

-Hogwarts Legacy will get at least two sequels, focusing on the PC's sixth and seventh year.

-The Fire Emblem series will continue on the same path it's been on since Awakening (you know what I mean...)

-Resident Evil 9 won't be called that, it'll have a subtitle. The 'wendigo rumor' is accurate, and will play out accordingly. An RE5 remake will be next.

-Gears of War 6 will be fully open-world, J.D. surviving Gears 5 will be chosen as the canon path (boo!)

-The next Star Fox game (assuming it's even made) will be yet another remake/reboot of the Lylat Wars, because of course it fucking will be. :(

-The rumour about a Bungie Marathon extraction shooter is legit. The premise will be players operating in the ruins of Tau Ceti IV, looting stuff from the colony, be it old UESC tech and/or pfhor technology, with UESC personnel trying to stop them (fun fact, I actually wrote a oneshot depicting such a premise).

-The next Mortal Kombat game will be revealed this year, and released in late 2023/early 2024. Plotwise, it will continue from the 'good' ending of the last game, depicting the Mortal Kombat where the original Kung Lao triumphed. It'll have a mostly new cast, but will have old cast members present through timeline shannigans.

-The Last of Us: Part III will be a thing, but the last installment in the series under Naughty Dog, who will devote their attention to their new dark fantasy IP (and will probably be even darker, because as far as I can tell, each Naughty Dog IP has been darker/more mature/grittier than the last.

-The Light and Darkness Saga will conclude active development of Destiny 2 - it'll be in maintenance mode after it, with Bungie focusing on new games/IPs (e.g. the Marathon shooter and Matter).

-There will be a Xenoblade Chronicles 4, but it'll be separate from the "Klaus Saga." As in, it'll stem off from Klaus using the Conduit through multiversal shannigans, but won't be related to the overall plot of XC1-3.

-The next game from Id Software will be a Quake sequel/soft reboot - basically to the original Quake what Doom 2016 was to the original Doom. It'll go full Lovecraft in the style of Quake 1, but will also endeavour to unify the Quake multiverse (yes, you could argue Quake Champions technically did that, but how many people actually care?), albeit on the level of background lore/codecies/data entries/whatever. I actually doubt the female protagonist rumour is true, because while I think that would work in some sense (Ranger's daughter looking for him?), it'll set off so many people into a frenzy about "woke pandering" id Software won't want to do it.

-Wolfenstein III will be made and will have a reboot/time loop thing that resets WWII to something approximating the original timeline. So the storyline that began in TNO is concluded, but B.J. still has to kill Nazis and whatnot.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I just cannot imagine canceling or rushing Starfield. Too much hype.
I also must insist that there is a real possibility that this game will be great, it's honestly annoying that it's conventional wisdom to just laugh at this game being made by prominent studios and just shitting on it already.
For sure it will have "bugs" and patches- hi, welcome to video games since, like, I dunno, 10 years ago? But this assumption that like all the planets are shit and the combat sucks and whatever that I'm seeing everywhere- I mean of course it's possible but the development history and even marketing is NOT Redfall or whatever.

So.. my personal current Starfield prediction in terms of quality? And this is just wild guessing now, and to put it in terms of comparing to another game:
Halo Infinite. You know, how at it's core it's pretty damn good but then people were hoping for more? That.
No, I totally agree. That was part of my A: scenario. A release, perhaps delayed, that comes out more polished and less buggy. And that means, it could be great. Hell, Skyrim proves that it could be pretty great even with lots of noticeable bugs at launch. And notice, my opening guess about Starfield's launch if it had been post FO 4 with no 76 between... I followed that with " And that's still a likely scenario." And I think that is fairly in line with your prediction.

I guess my point was The Outer Worlds and '76 threw a wrench into my expectations and made Starfield's potential a lot harder to predict because the possibilities ran the spectrum from great to utter garbage. Without those 2 games, my expectation spectrum would probably have been great to "ehh, its fine." Which was more or less where my expectations for FO4.

And then there's this
Is there much hype for starfield? Other than being the first single player RPG from Bethesda in fucking forever, I don't think there's many people interested in it. Compare it to how high the hype for cyberpunk 2077 was, it"s practically silent.
I wondered the same thing. I think there was more hype for Starfield about two or three years ago than there seems to be now.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
> Is there much hype for starfield? Other than being the first single player RPG from Bethesda in fucking forever, I don't think there's many people interested in it. Compare it to how high the hype for cyberpunk 2077 was, it"s practically silent.

I dunno.. I would think it depends on what kind of games media one consumes. If you're following it constantly like us, then no because of all the skepticism/cynicism. If you're somewhat committed to the XBox platform- like let's say you have Gamepass and are disappointed by Redfall- then yeah, there's gotta be hype.

And among long time gamers- I don't think you can underestimate "the first single player RPG from Bethesda in fucking forever." Not even just Bethesda- when was the last really meaty western RPG that people could go and fanfic, argue plots and characters, mess around with dialogue choices? I mean a really good one. Like... The Witcher 3?

>Didn’t watch, but guessing they [Zelda] didn’t do shit to address the weapon durability.

Asking them to "address" weapons durability is like asking them to "address" the open world- it's a core part of the gameplay. From what I've seen, weapons are even MORE fragile. The whole gameplay loop revolves around fusing and making items and weapons. Constantly using and fusing found items.

Yeah the engine is the most worrying thing about Starfield.
But also look at Zelda- so many folks worrying about its performance on an "old" system and look at the reviews, infinity/10, with "some frame rate drops" which are ignored and excused cause the game is so good (or at least delivers or exceeds on its promise).

I mean... *sigh*... if Starfield is just MEH after all these delays, it would be amazing. Honestly just stunning, to put that much effort into blech. And I KNOW it's very possible, but... oh man, lol, if even.

>I guess my point was The Outer Worlds and '76 threw a wrench into my expectations and made Starfield's potential a lot harder to predict because the possibilities ran the spectrum from great to utter garbage. Without those 2 games, my expectation spectrum would probably have been great to "ehh, its fine." Which was more or less where my expectations for FO4.

Yeah fair enough. That's why I'm still hoping it to be good, personally, and don't want to join the chorus of shitting on it. The way I see it- there will be plenty of time to shit on it if it's crap when it comes out.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Platinum Games will be fine and drop going after GaaS trend they have been chased. They're not ever going to shut down, even though publishing for themselves you still have a great relationship with nintendo, and worst case scenario, they can just go back to them. Bayonetta 3 sold well and is considered a major success from both companies. Bayonetta Origins has more of a lukewarm reception, but that was a smaller project, so I'm not that worried. I feel that too many people always give Platinum a doom and gloom and just assumed for the worst for them. I get it they have fallen off the wagon, but give them time. In the early to mid 2010s, some of them had a point, but most of us going off of asinine speculation and just butt hurt, because some of their contracting work wasn't as good as their normal stuff. Transformers Devastation is still awesome though; I'll defend that to my dying breath. Kamiya's superhero project will probably do fine. Until we all see more, there's not much I can say about it.