Video Game Purgatory (Or Video Game Intros that just don't f*cking end)

lSHaDoW-FoXl

Jul 17, 2008
For some reason today I've been going on a crusade against things that I think are obnoxious. Besides my self of course. To clarify this isn't a thread about cut scenes *Because lets face it, there's probably a ton of threads about those* but more of about the sudden trend in the video game industry where video game openings just don't seem to want to end. Ever. Go ahead and share your stories of never ending horror & boredom.

Mine starts with ME2. It's a nice opening, I'll give them that, but it just doesn't end and you have no option to skip the damn thing. Which is pretty sad, really, because I can name you quite a few N64 games that had the courtesy to let you skip that shit. What really gets to me though is how I have to go through the entire thing each time I want to make a character. If I fuck up one thing - just one thing - about my character then I either have to cope with the imperfection or restart the entire damn thing and go through the intro again. What especially pisses me off is how completely different the character looks during and after customization. An intro shouldn't be this self - indulgent. I don't care how much effort went into the damn thing, if my time isn't spent enjoying it then that only lessens all the work they had put into it. And that's minus all the times I had to sit through the opening without mentioning each play through I had on different difficulties. So I won't be looking to make just one character, I'll be looking to make one for each time I play the game. For the sake of argument lets say three playthroughs. Now imagine how much times I would fuck up on each character, and how much I'd have to sit through that intro. Now maybe you can imagine how much that intro pisses me off.

The second game that comes to mind is Skyrim. You have to sit through a wagon ride with obnoxious voice acting (Lokir instantly downplays the weight of the situation with his derpy - cartoonish voice) for a few minutes - This goes on forever. And only after you reach town does the game give you the option to load from there. But what pisses me off is that this goes on forever too. In previous Bethesda games you could make a save file right before going out into the world and alter your stats. So really, it just furthermore makes what they've done more unforgivable. Couldn't they at least give you the option to have a load 'after' the dragon comes? Because trust me, hearing Lokir's stupid 'you're not going to kill me!' Really wore thin the first time I heard it. And then after having the game waste your time (and may I remind you, this goes on forever even IF you load after the wagon BS) you have to go through what's essentially a tutorial that you just can't skip.

To be polite, this intro insults me. It wastes my time, it doesn't give me the option to skip *even though earlier Bethesda games did*, and as a final fuck you it gives you obnoxious voice acting. I'm happy that Lokir's dead, and I give Alduin praise for burning the entire place down.

keybird

Jun 1, 2009
Oh god, I loved Skyrim with every fiber of my soul but that intro was just atrocious. Sitting in a carriage for 5 minutes while your listening to a man drabble on should not be as boring as they made it out to be.

My personal favorite is in Super Mario Sunshine. And by favorite I mean worst. There is no skipping in that game. No skipping anything. Not the cutscenes, not the intros, not even the fucking tutorials

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
lSHaDoW-FoXl said:
To be polite, this intro insults me. It wastes my time, it doesn't give me the option to skip *even though earlier Bethesda games did*, and as a final fuck you it gives you obnoxious voice acting. I'm happy that Lokir's dead, and I give Alduin praise for burning the entire place down.
I hope you havnt played a SEGA game..I mean Yakuza and Vanquish

by god....

in Vanquish it just went on...and on....and on...and on and there [b/]was no point to it[/b]

ok, I get it...theres fighting and ships are blowing up...I get whats heppnening..I SHOULD BE PLAYING RIGHT NOW as much as I like cutscenes it made me physically angry

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
lSHaDoW-FoXl said:
Mine starts with ME2. It's a nice opening, I'll give them that, but it just doesn't end and you have no option to skip the damn thing. Which is pretty sad, really, because I can name you quite a few N64 games that had the courtesy to let you skip that shit. What really gets to me though is how I have to go through the entire thing each time I want to make a character. If I fuck up one thing - just one thing - about my character then I either have to cope with the imperfection or restart the entire damn thing and go through the intro again. What especially pisses me off is how completely different the character looks during and after customization. An intro shouldn't be this self - indulgent. I don't care how much effort went into the damn thing, if my time isn't spent enjoying it then that only lessens all the work they had put into it. And that's minus all the times I had to sit through the opening without mentioning each play through I had on different difficulties. So I won't be looking to make just one character, I'll be looking to make one for each time I play the game. For the sake of argument lets say three playthroughs. Now imagine how much times I would fuck up on each character, and how much I'd have to sit through that intro. Now maybe you can imagine how much that intro pisses me off.
Mass Effect 1 had the exact same problem, unfortunately.

The intro that irritated the shit out of me most recently would be that of Max Payne 3. It's lengthy, unskippable, headache inducing and nothing happens for the first half of it. It's just Max drinking and moping around in his apartment.

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
TopazFusion said:
Did Fallout 3 give you the option of skipping all that vault stuff at the beginning? (I remember skipping the G.O.A.T. but I don't think the rest of it was skippable)
A (real) save file is automatically created when you reach the cave entrance, where you can edit your characters appearance, stats and perks before leaving.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
"Video Game Purgatory" was all I read and I thought you were talking about the time when you're bored of all your games and either no new games or out or you're broke as hell and can't afford new ones :p

OT: Yeah the Skyrim one really pisses me off. I liked it the first time I saw it but after 5 or so times it gets quite annoying... "The gods smile upon me imperials. CAN YOU SAY THE SAME?!" *head gets cut off* *hurr alduin like a baws*

Bleidd Whitefalcon

Mar 8, 2012
Okami's intro is like 10 minutes long of just expository backstory. I LOVE the game but they could have done with cutting that down a bit.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
No one here ever play xenosaga episode 1? You thought FFXIII was trying to be a movie? Xenosaga makes FFXIII look like a short film . Still a great series though .

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
I was watching my brother start up FFXIII. Felt like forever.

I watched for a few minutes, got up, went to the bathroom, but the kettle on, washed a couple of cups, came back, and it was still going. Damn.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
ravenshrike said:
FFX-2. And FFX now that I think about it. And FF9. And 8, and 7. There seems to be a pattern.
CleverCover said:

I watched for a few minutes, got up, went to the bathroom, but the kettle on, washed a couple of cups, came back, and it was still going. Damn.
Ninjas! Damn you *shakes fist*

But for lack of anything better to do, I'll agree. Final Fantasy start ups take ages.

NO WAIT!! If it doesn't have to be a cutscene, I nominate kingdom Hearts 2 and it's tutorial/opening bit in Twilight Town before the story kicks in any the name of the Game comes up.

I mean really, that is literally like three hours long. That way too much.

Battleaxx90

Jul 8, 2011
Erja_Perttu said:
If it doesn't have to be a cutscene, I nominate kingdom Hearts 2 and it's tutorial/opening bit in Twilight Town before the story kicks in any the name of the Game comes up.

Normally I would hate a prologue that long, but believe it or not, the prologue for KHII is one of my favourite parts of KH as a whole, let alone KHII. Especially on my most recent playthrough, which I started up mere minutes after finishing 358/2 days. Made the whole thing zetta deeper, y'know?

Also, the prologue contains one of my favourite fights in the game: Axel vs. Dual-Wielding Roxas amongst a towering inferno!

C'mere, I'll make it all stop! BURN, BABY!

Seriously, I could write a book about all the things I like about the prologue, but I won't, because I seriously need to get back to writing my ACTUAL book. Jeez, I'm lazy.

OT: I got nothin'.

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
Mangles69 said:
MGS4.......
this

FFX-2
Final fantasy 10
Some game that i played it was a JRPG and was a prequel with International in the title
FUCK DAT GAME :mad:

keideki

Sep 10, 2008
Metal Gear Solid 4 had an intro cut scene that was more like a movie than anything else. It is thirty plus minutes from selecting start game to actually playing the game. I wish Hideo Kojima would just start making the movies he so obviously wants to make. Don't get me wrong, I love the MGS games, but the story is SO convoluted.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
Battleaxx90 said:
Erja_Perttu said:
If it doesn't have to be a cutscene, I nominate kingdom Hearts 2 and it's tutorial/opening bit in Twilight Town before the story kicks in any the name of the Game comes up.

Normally I would hate a prologue that long, but believe it or not, the prologue for KHII is one of my favourite parts of KH as a whole, let alone KHII. Especially on my most recent playthrough, which I started up mere minutes after finishing 358/2 days. Made the whole thing zetta deeper, y'know?

Also, the prologue contains one of my favourite fights in the game: Axel vs. Dual-Wielding Roxas amongst a towering inferno!

C'mere, I'll make it all stop! BURN, BABY!

Seriously, I could write a book about all the things I like about the prologue, but I won't, because I seriously need to get back to writing my ACTUAL book. Jeez, I'm lazy.

OT: I got nothin'.
Huh, I may have to replay it then. I can't remember most of that! I just remember it taking hours - To the Playstation2!

Battleaxx90

Jul 8, 2011
Erja_Perttu said:
Huh, I may have to replay it then. I can't remember most of that! I just remember it taking hours - To the Playstation2!
My work here is done. This is Battleaxx90, your resident hardcore KH fanboy, signing off.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
ravenshrike said:
FFX-2. And FFX now that I think about it. And FF9. And 8, and 7. There seems to be a pattern.
Erja_Perttu said:
ravenshrike said:
CleverCover said:

Ninjas! Damn you *shakes fist*

But for lack of anything better to do, I'll agree. Final Fantasy start ups take ages.

NO WAIT!! If it doesn't have to be a cutscene, I nominate kingdom Hearts 2 and it's tutorial/opening bit in Twilight Town before the story kicks in any the name of the Game comes up.

While they do go on for a while any FF upto and including X I never had a problem with because of the awesomeness of the music.

OT: Dragon Age Origins. As mush as I like the game the intro seemed to go on forever. To me anyway.