Video Hints at Futuristic Armed Quadrotors in Futuristic Call of Duty

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Video Hints at Futuristic Armed Quadrotors in Futuristic Call of Duty

Might the next Call of Duty be set 15 years in the future?

Birds fly, sun shines, grass grows, and Activision's internal studios release a new Call of Duty game every year. So, even if we hadn't already had some hints [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116094-Another-French-Retailer-Outs-Black-Ops-2] that this holiday season would see Treyarch's next turn at the plate to follow up 2010's Black Ops, everybody and their mother's dog saw it coming anyway.

But whereas Black Ops had been set in the Cold War, Treyarch's prior venture World at War had been a World War II piece, and Infinity Ward's Modern Warfare series have all taken place in an approximation of the present day, the video you see here to the right might just indicate that Black Ops 2 could take us for a jaunt into the not-too-distant future.

In the video, "FPS Russia" operator Dmitri Potapoff (actually a not-Russian named Kyle Myers) plays with a tablet-controlled quadrotor aircraft, which is equipped with a submachine gun of its very own. He tells us that this is experimental, futuristic technology that is at least a decade away from seeing real use in combat, and proceeds to blow up some terrorist mannequins. Seriously, what did those mannequins ever do to you, man?

At the end of the video, Potapoff says that while this sort of device won't be practical for another 15 years, gamers can expect to check it out in this year's Call of Duty. Given that this video seems to have official ties to Activision (which would make a hoax significantly less likely), this is likely not just a sneak peek at some of the military hardware gamers will be rocking in-game this winter, but also a possible hint that the game might be set around the year 2027 or so.

Either way, it's fun to speculate. Some speculators have tried to link the "Tacitus" t-shirt Potapoff is wearing (and to be fair, he did tag "tacitus t-shirt" in the YouTube tags) to the Roman historian Tacitus [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacitus] - who famously wrote about a solar eclipse being interpreted by some soldiers as an omen. There will be a solar eclipse this year on November 13th, which is always around the time that COD gets released anyway, so we're all free to read into this however we want.

However, Potapoff himself says that "Tacitus" has nothing to do with the historical figure [http://twitter.com/#!/TheFPShow/status/194668486117687297]. So either he's lying, or everybody's barking up the wrong tree. Rumors have a proper BlOps2 reveal slated for the beginning of May, however, so we don't have long to wait.

(Via Paradox [http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/4/24/2971107/machine-gun-armed-quadrotor-confirmed-for-next-call-of-duty])

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
That got linked to me last night, and my only thoughts were "Holy shit, he really used the self destruct! but why!?"

I mean really? Why?

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
...This episode..looks uncanny.

I thought FPS Russia hated COD.

Edit: it's fake, a con, a promo. http://www.callofduty.com/

There's a countdown to 1st May. Likly the next game. I really couldn't care about "tacitus". Kyle, you disappoint me.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
JaceArveduin said:
That got linked to me last night, and my only thoughts were "Holy shit, he really used the self destruct! but why!?"

I mean really? Why?
My guess was that it was some kind of regulation. If this was a military prototype or something, they wouldn't want a civvy to keep it. Don't know why they wouldn't just take it back, though...

If this is CoD related, then my interest is the same as it has been for a few years-play the campaing once on a friend's/relative's console, then barely if ever touch it. I'm more of a Battlefield guy.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Nooners said:
JaceArveduin said:

I mean really? Why?
My guess was that it was some kind of regulation. If this was a military prototype or something, they wouldn't want a civvy to keep it. Don't know why they wouldn't just take it back, though...
Well yeah, civvy's can't keep prototypes, I knew that, but prototypes are generally expensive, the only reason I can think of them letting him blow it up like that is to test to see if the self-destruct actually destroys all of the valuable data and junk that it carries.

RicoGrey

Oct 27, 2009
JaceArveduin said:
Nooners said:
JaceArveduin said:

I mean really? Why?
Well yeah, civvy's can't keep prototypes, I knew that, but prototypes are generally expensive, the only reason I can think of them letting him blow it up like that is to test to see if the self-destruct actually destroys all of the valuable data and junk that it carries.
Uhhh, not sure if serious, that was clearly CGI.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Maybe I've been watching too many Marvel movies, but I'm pretty sure that the quadraptors just computer generated. Just look at it, it reminds me of a C&C Tiberium Sun cutscene.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
mad825 said:

There's a countdown to 1st May. Likly the next game. I really couldn't care about "tacitus". Kyle, you disappoint me.
Yeah, I watched through some bits a few times and it looks like the Quadrator was editied in.

RicoGrey said:
Hero in a half shell said:
Maybe I've been watching too many Marvel movies, but I'm pretty sure that the quadraptors just computer generated. Just look at it, it reminds me of a C&C Tiberium Sun cutscene.
Eeyup, seems like I'm not the only one to notice

Nyaoku

Jan 7, 2012
Megacherv said:
mad825 said:

Yeah, I watched through some bits a few times and it looks like the Quadrator was editied in.

RicoGrey said:
Hero in a half shell said:
Eeyup, seems like I'm not the only one to notice
It wouldn't be hard to make anyways. You can get a small one for 40usd at ToysRUs. All they'd have to do is make it bigger so it could hold the gun.