Videogame Artist Gives Star Wars a Gorgeous Steampunk Re-Imagining

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
Steampunk Boba makes me weep.

Everything else wasn't bad...

EDIT: Missed the Stormtrooper somehow. Now THAT is badass!

syltman

Feb 12, 2009
I loooooove steampunk so much, too bad that there are so few steampunk games. I would've loved to see a huge rpg/mmo in steampunk style.

These are ridicolously cool, love em all although if I am to make a complaint is that I imagined Luke being younger as he looks really old there.

archabaddon

Jan 8, 2007
I think Star Wars has been done to death. Although I can appreciate putting a new twist on it, it's still a twist on something that's been done to death (see: Robot Chicken Star Wars, Family Guy Star Wars, Lego Star Wars, etc., etc.).

I love Steampunk too, but I fear it's going to become cliché for every re-imagining of every sci-fi tale. I'm calling it now: Steampunk BSG will be next.

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
Luke looks like shit. I know he's supposed to be a down-under, greasy machinist, but doesn't he even have a shaving razor? I love the gamble he took on Han in his role as a gun-slinging smuggler, and I think it worked. I love the ornate, government-standard plating on the Stormtrooper, too. Boba Fett?! Awesome.

Anyway(and though I know I'm a total hypocrite in saying this), I'm getting sick of Steampunking everything like that'll make it better. At the very least we need new Steampunk archetypes. Why would royalty wear goggles too? If they're rich, they shouldn't be in places where the steam would reach their pretty eyes. Goggles only make sense on the downtrodden working class who actually do the work on the steam engines. I guess for a Princess, Leia is kind of down-trodden...

Tzekelkan

Dec 27, 2009
Didn't really like them. They all look very old, what the hell? Leia's cleavage seemed very out of place with that 60-year-old grey hair. Also, Han's cleavage makes him look like an old sex offender. Just what I thought while seeing them.

YodaUnleashed

Jun 11, 2010
Some absolutely fantastic and imaginative 'interpretations' of classic star wars characters though, Darth Vader and R2-D2 do seem to be two glaring omissions.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
Macgyvercas said:
Star Wars + Steampunk...BEST IDEA EVER!!!
Steampunk theme is so flexible, it could work with every franchise you can imagine.

Chased

Sep 17, 2010
Never got into steampunk, but this is really cool. The Boba Fett one is the most creative out of the lot imo.

TheHecatomb

May 7, 2008
This really is old news. CGSociety.org had a big Star Wars Steampunk challenge over a year ago, which had some really stunning entries by 3D artists from around the globe, too.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I really like these images. I have seen some other Steampunk Star Wars drawings and they are a bit over the top in my opinion. I think these are right on the money.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
About the Luke steam tool thing, am I the only one who saw it and immediately assumed this was pre-Jedi Luke using some kind of farming tool back on the homestead?

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
is there anything steampunk can't make good?
oh right...

[HEADING=1]WHAT THE FUCK PEOPLE, WHAT THE FUCK!!!![/HEADING]

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
As a fan of both steampunk and sci-fi, this really caught my attention. I'll have to look more into this...

Frosty676

Apr 7, 2010
karloss01 said:
the jawa didn't really change much did it? :D

luke looks more like obiwan should, otherwise there all pretty good.
Agree.

Java looks like a normal Java, guess you can't really change much with them.

Ensiferum

Apr 24, 2010
To be honest I don't like any of these as "Star Wars" characters. They look okay on their own I guess but honestly I don't get this whole new "ZOMG STAR WARZ IS SOO AWESOME AS STEAMPUNK" craze. Why not just make your own original universe and characters?