Videogame characters that you disliked initially, but warmed up to later

deanospimoni

Dec 7, 2010
What characters did you initially find off-putting but then later you grew to enjoy?

For me, a lot of the characters from the Mass Effect games were like this. I suppose the best example of this for me would be Javik in the third game. Initially, all he seems to be is a violent, paranoid, hatemonger. He second guesses every one of (Paragon) Shepard's decisions, and suggests abandoning or killing loyal members of the crew. But, over time, it dawns on me that he was born into a world that only knew war. He was eventually betrayed by his friends, and then wakes up in a world where all of his people are extinct. A normal person in that kind of situation would probably commit suicide. But Javik is driven, determined that the last thing that the last Prothean will accomplish is serve to bring an end to the despised Reapers. That impressed me, and on subsequent playthroughs, I began to see his scenes in a different light.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
Ben in The Walking Dead.

I freaking hated this kid for most of the game. His constant screw ups and cowardice made me truly despise him. But then, at the end of episode 4, when he begs you to drop him... I dunno. Something about that scene. Maybe it was the voice acting, maybe it was the writing, maybe it was the animations or set piece in general... maybe a combination of all... but it really changed my opinion of the character. I no longer felt anger toward him, I just felt bad for him - especially after his outburst at Kenny regarding his parents. Though Clementine was always the character I was most focused on protecting, I started wanting to help Ben sort his life out too. I was legitimately upset when I simultaneously lost both Kenny and Ben right as they were starting to reconcile. It was probably the lowest point for me personally in the game prior to the ending.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I hardly ever warm up to a character once I've established my dislike (same as in real life, kids!). I can't think of any videogame character right now, I'll edit one in later if I remember anybody. I can only think of TV shows for some reason this minute and Pete Campbell from Mad Men comes to mind. He's come up across sympathetic during the last coupld of seasons, I'll give him that much. It took him 4-5 years though.

Rumpsteak

Nov 7, 2011
Tuesday Night Fever said:
Ben in The Walking Dead
I couldn't think if any and really just came here to see what others were saying but I'll be damned it I don't agree with this. Ben and I have a love hate relationship.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Ai Ebihara from Persona 4, sort of. It was clearly what the writers were shooting for. She starts off coming across as an immoral, shallow, creep with no redeeming qualities, and then her insecurities emerge and your want to give her a hug.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Junpei from Persona 3.
He's that kind of pervy always absent minded comic relief character. At least that's how i've seen initially. As story goes on Junpei really grows as a character, when finally in the "Answer" he shows himself as the most rational person in the room and flat out refuses to fight with his friends saying that this is stupid.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I used to hate Jayce in LoL, they literally went for the most cheesy character ever then gave him a huge fuck off hammer (that is also a cannon.) He was so aggravating to me for the longest time, I even REFUNDED him when I bought him and played a few games with him...

Now after trying him again his stupid one liners and future orientated lines are actually enjoyable to listen to for some reason.

"Eyes. On the horizon!"

"The future will be bright!"

"I will light our path!"

*On firing a Shock Blast through Acceleration Gate*

"They're history!"

"Shocking!"

"Electrify!"

"POWER SLAM!"

Whoever thought up that mechanic is awesome.

I always judge a character on their personality more than their abilities in pretty much everything. With transformation characters in LoL being the exception. They're too sensitive for my tastes. I just play Jayce occasionally for the lines.

Oh and Bang Shishigami in BlazBlue. I wasn't sold on him to begin with, because he's this incompetent idiot half the time but damn, I LOVE super melodrama and he's the most melodramatic person in the game. I only play Noob Friendly Noel online but I wish more people played Bang.

I wasn't sold on Dontay in the new DMC but damn Ninja Theory pulled some good character development out on him. He's actually likeable past mission 2 and he only gets better. I know mission 2 sounds like very little time but damn, he's such a **** in the opening cutscenes and through the first mission it seems like a lot longer.

Still unsure as to why there is *quite* so much swearing in this one though. I know the one boss fight (you know the one) is meant to help solidify the boss' personality and what she represents but they could have handled it better right?

"Fuck you."

"Fuck you!"

"FUCK YOU!"

Really ran out of ideas that fast huh?

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
'The protagonist' from Persona 3.

'O, look, a freaking emo kid'.

But, later on, he was kind of cool.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Norrdicus said:
Kreia

Fellow Kotor 2 fans, can I get a "Hell yeah"?

HELL YEAH!

OT id say Lilly from the Walking Dead. i really didnt like her when i first met her, but then began to warm up to her towards the end of episode 1 and through episode 2....then... well im not going to spoil anything

goober1988

Apr 16, 2009
Clap-trap, especially in Borderlands 2. His voice was soooo annoying but after I warmed up to him I could laugh at his quarks.

Frasman

Aug 4, 2010
Norrdicus said:
Kreia

Hell ya.... I still hate her.

Ren from Shenmue 2. At first he's set up like an annoying stepping stone to the overall story, but in the later stages of the game, he becomes quite a diverse character.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Trip, or Tripitinatralalala (actually it's Tripitaka but ignore that) from Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

At first, she just irritated the ever-loving shite out of me, but by the end I had found myself rather enamoured with her. Although I liked Monkey more.

Hawkeye 131

Jun 2, 2012
Easily Jack from ME2. As someone on here once said it, she's a beatifully fucked up character that you can really come to love. On my first play-through of ME2, I was reading through the dossiers and once I finished reading Jack's I basically thought "Great, now I have to recruit a convict onto the team." However, once I had recruited her and started to learn a little bit about her past I came to realize not only how beautiful she really is but how strong she much be to be able to overcome all the different tragedies and hardships in her life.

Carley from The Walking Dead. At first I didn't appreciate the way she was approaching the situation and circumstances and especially how she almost blackmailed Lee about not telling the group about his past. By Episode 2 I started to appreciate how she was caught up in the situation and didn't really know what to do with herself. Then Episode 3 happended...

Again, another ME2 character. Miranda, was for me intriguing and irratating at the same time. At first I didn't appreciate her attitude one bit but I was really attracted to her. Now before you jump to conclusions I do think BioWare went a little to far with her sexuality that's displayed in her outfit/costume. The reason I was attracted to her was because of she's exactly the type of woman I like in real life. You can tell from her body language, tone of voice, vocabulary, facial expressions and attitude that clearly she's a very intelligent, confident, driven and straight-forward person but all in a quiet subtle and reserved way. Aside from that one scene where she describes her own biotic abilities she never blatantly says "Yeah I'm really smart, attractive, etc... Shepard". BioWare's writers have been very good at subtly, showing rather than just telling the player, at various points throughout the story. Another thing is she's exactly like me in that she's very private with her own problems and shortcomings. She is clearly introverted and able to be self critical but she does have some skeletons in her closet that she's reluctant to deal with until her sister is in danger. Deep down I think Miranda is deeply troubled by the fact that she is the creation of someone else's (her father), desires and not what she wants herself to be or what she could have been if not for her father. All around another fantastic character.

-Hawk

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
Ben from Walking dead pretty much for the reasons already mentioned

Hope from FF13. God he was annoying in the begining, then angry/emo in the middle, but at the end he resolved his peronal issues, plus i liked him in FF13-2. Strictly business in that gme.

Tyelcapilu

Mar 19, 2011
Breen of HL2
Vaas of FC3
Fassad of Mother/Earthbound
Generally, villains should think they're good guys, and at least be human on the inside.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I'm a Man and, as a Man I spent a portion of my life actively avoiding the color pink. This lead to me not really playing any Kirby games for a good chunk of my life. Sure, I played Dreamland as a kid but then was before the teenage hormones made me loath the dreaded Pink. Recently though I've gotten into the little pink vacuum-ball and didn't realize how many fun games I was missing out on. Crystal Shards for example is a 2D platformer on the N64 that I really could have gotten into since I still have trouble getting into Banjo Kazooie, DK64 and, Mario 64. I also really enjoy Epic Yarn and once the Dream Collection came out I grabbed that sucker ASAP.

When it comes to characters and, personality though not many characters really come to mind. I strongly disliked the protagonist of Bully but I enjoyed the game, same can be said for San Andreas' protagonist but I didn't ever warm up to them. I think Rikku from Final Fantasy X would be the best example: I loved Lulu and like Yuna but it took me a while to warm up to Rikku who I can now tolerate.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
I can think of three off the top of my head, though they're all from visual novels. I'm pretty sure there've been a few from other genres, but not as strongly. Ranked in order...

Shizune from Katawa Shoujo. She seemed all right outside her own route, but Act 1, especially leading up to her own route, really didn't do much for my opinion of her pushiness. And yet, by the end of that act, that annoyance vanished, and once I started to understand more of her ultimately philanthropic personality and motivations my negative feeling reversed completely.

Makoto from Kanon. Rather bratty in the beginning, and I thought she dropped a cat to its death at one point. Turns out it was an accident, and after interacting with her for a week, I started to like her a lot. Her ending also hit the hardest.

Asumi from Heart de Roommate. Dear lord, I hated her. Obnoxiously single-minded, loud, violent...then I did the other two characters' routes, then her own, and then the epilogue. Complete 180 once I understood the reasons for her actions, her singlemindedness, and why she didn't consider herself a bullying (the fact that she calms down a fair bit also helped).

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
Tuesday Night Fever said:
Ben in The Walking Dead.

I freaking hated this kid for most of the game. His constant screw ups and cowardice made me truly despise him. But then, at the end of episode 4, when he begs you to drop him... I dunno. Something about that scene. Maybe it was the voice acting, maybe it was the writing, maybe it was the animations or set piece in general... maybe a combination of all... but it really changed my opinion of the character. I no longer felt anger toward him, I just felt bad for him - especially after his outburst at Kenny regarding his parents. Though Clementine was always the character I was most focused on protecting, I started wanting to help Ben sort his life out too. I was legitimately upset when I simultaneously lost both Kenny and Ben right as they were starting to reconcile. It was probably the lowest point for me personally in the game prior to the ending.
To a certain extend, this. But I have another reason, besides what Disco Stu said here. I found a lot of myself in Ben. Think about it, you're just a goddamn kid, never held a gun in your life, you're forced to live with these complete strangers with all of your friends and family either dead or never heard from again. You're scared shitless and you have no idea what to do. If I was in the same situation as Ben, I'd fuck up more times that HE would have. Don't lie, you all would have too!
Norrdicus said:
Kreia

Hell yeah! But I didn't just warm up to her. I fucking fell in love with her! ... in a healthy way, that only involves how I loved her writing, voice actress, and character development. <.<

Saladfork

Jul 3, 2011
Jack (ME2) - I find character that try too hard to be tough extremely annoying (especially when they're women for some reason) and so when I first met Jack I was like "Oh jesus christ not this again". Unlike most cases of this I find, though, Jack's Napoleon complex actually made sense in a way and I warmed up to her quite a lot.

Norrdicus said:
Kreia

HELL [small]well actually I never hated her at all I thought she was just awesome in fact she's probably my favourite female character ever[/small] YEAH