Videogame Discourse: According to Jim

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Videogame Discourse, According to Ewok: Jim needs to cut back on the calories and start lifting weights. He should also go participate in a couple of outdoor activities a week. And get the fuck off of Twitter.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Videogame Discourse, According to Ewok: Jim needs to cut back on the calories and start lifting weights. He should also go participate in a couple of outdoor activities a week. And get the fuck off of Twitter.
But wear a mask please. Cuz....you know....

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I mean i think it's pretty self absorbed to think a youtuber is going to change the world of gaming or the nature of the financial system in general. And I think he let his platform get the better of him because of the middling audience that he has. He has always made good points, and he has always brought to light shit that people previously weren't aware of. But he should never think that his opinions and his preaching where ever going to change the world.
He doesn't think that. He self-depricates all the time. He's spent probably hours of video time, disclaiming that nothing he says seems to make a difference, as he keeps saying the same shit over and over, and nothing changes. He knows he's just a dude on the screen, talking about an industry that is ultimately frivolous, but it is still an important topic. Because it's making BILLIONS of dollars, and the people making that money, are doing it at the expense of the health of those who work for them. So he feels that SOMEBODY should at least be pointing out they do shitty things. Maybe it will catch on, maybe it won't. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be said. Because actual change has to start somewhere, with someone saying something, and people going "Yeah, that's right, we should take action to change that!"

He was better when he protrayed himself as a casual viewer of the shit storms. Mocking people like Randy Pitchford and the whole "FucKomani / ohhhhhUbisoft" bits always were played off in a way in which he was talking to his audience while we all watched the ship sink from afar. When things like the loot boxes in Battlefield 2 blew up, he laughed because he called it and we all laughed with him.
The problem is that, to use your analogy of a sinking ship, I think he's tired of mocking the sinking ship, because of all the people who are drowning on it due to the incompetence. So he's like "Hey, maybe DON'T hire drunken assholes to pilot the thing? Maybe make sure your crew/passengers have lifeboats? Maybe make sure there are laws in place, to make it when the ships DO sink, those responsible are actually held accountable? And aren't able to just get away with decades worth of criminal behavior?" I guess he just finds it less funny, the more shitty behavior comes to light. I guess he feels it's too serious of an issue, to make light of in his old style.

Now however it's almost like he is no longer to not take things personal, and it feels like he is invested in the skullfuckery that the industry is pulling like it legit affects him (when it doesn't). And as a result, his personality and his videos have lost all their fun.
What do you mean it doesn't legit effect him? He spent years in litigation with that one gaming company, shit what was their name, which cost him money, stress, he was personally harrassed by the people of that company, and likely also people who, for some reason, felt they had the proper standing in the complaint.

He's received harassments and death threats for him simply being in that industry as a critic. Not to mention, his criticisms of those companies, has had him blacklisted by them, meaning he doesn't get as many free copies of games to review, because they don't like how unreliable his criticisms can be, which means he has to either try and find other, less lucrative games to cover (and thus risk less revenue from reviewing them), or fork over his personal money to buy the games he's been blacklisted from getting, which is a hassle in itself.

So, I fail to see how he isn't impacted by the behavior of the industry that he works within.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
I'm pretty sure he does indie wrestling as a second hobby. Not that covid helps.