Videogame Industry Healthier Than People Think, Says THQ CEO

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Videogame Industry Healthier Than People Think, Says THQ CEO

NPD numbers don't track the myriad ways that people are buying games, and THQ CEO Brian Farrell says it's these enormous gaps that are making the industry look weaker than it is.

Farrell thinks that the downturn that seems to be plaguing the videogame industry has less to do with people buying fewer games, and plenty to do with an over-reliance on data from research company NPD, and the incomplete picture that data paints.

Farrell said that the figures from NPD don't take into account anything other than physical sales, and even then, not all of them. Using upcoming title MX vs. ATV Alive - a game with a low retail price point and a focus on DLC for generating revenue - as an example, he said that NPD would only track the number of copies sold, and not make any note of the potentially tens of millions of dollars such a business model could make.

In the same vein, he said that THQ sales on Steam were fantastic, but they were never reported by NPD. He also noted that NPD didn't include the revenue from MMO subscriptions, meaning that the bulk of the money generated by the likes of World of Warcraft was being ignored.

Farrell stressed that he wasn't criticizing NPD, but said that until it - or some other organization - took digital distribution into account, people were only looking at a portion of the industry, rather than the whole thing. He said that while boxed sales might be down, in THQ's experience, people were actually playing more games than ever before.

Farrell raises a good point: Steam has around 30 million users who might as well not exist as far as NPD are concerned, not to mention the Xbox Live and PSN games that aren't being counted. Even with these extra sales, however, there's no guarantee that the videogame industry would be seen to be growing. Still, a slower rate of contraction means that it will be easier the industry to bounce back in the future.

Source: GameSpot [http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6284840.html]

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Statistics are inherently flawed simply because it doesn't account for every single applicable person. Of course the numbers seem like they're lying for that very reason. Could the gaming industry still be the juggernaut it once and always was? Certainly possible, yes, but not if we keep going off numbers some random jackass shows us on an Excel spreadsheet.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
Sorry to be a complete noob, but what is the NPD and in what way are it's stats used? Stock prices, anti-piracy arguments...other stuff?

How widespread is the use? Industry wide?

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
Oh, I thought the article was about video gamers being healthier than people think. So I'm guessing most of us are still overweight.

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
and this is why i like the guys at THQ. They actually say things that make sense ( for the most part) and are taking chances with new games.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Actual said:
Sorry to be a complete noob, but what is the NPD and in what way are it's stats used? Stock prices, anti-piracy arguments...other stuff?

How widespread is the use? Industry wide?
NPD track, among other things, physical sales of video games. This is the reason you see things like "we sold 10 times more on Xbox 360 than on PC" because the publisher just looks at NPD numbers, which only track phyiscal in store copies of the game and ignore things like Steam and Direct 2 Drive, which already account for more than 50% of the PC market sales.

Hallow'sEve

Sep 4, 2008
blalien said:
Oh, I thought the article was about video gamers being healthier than people think. So I'm guessing most of us are still overweight.
That's what I thought as well. And now I'm wondering about how many video game employees actually ARE "healthy"...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fronzel said:
Does this mean the alarmism and power/cash grab over used games is unnecessary? I bet you won't see anyone in the industry say that.
And they'll site the NPD numbers when it comes time to say that used games are killing the industry. Lovely, eh?

Mechsoap

Apr 4, 2010
that seems like a huge mistake done by the NPD. You cant base everything from something people need to USE THEIR LEGS to get too.

Ravek

Aug 6, 2009
SageRuffin said:
Statistics are inherently flawed simply because it doesn't account for every single applicable person. Of course the numbers seem like they're lying for that very reason.
If you think that's a flaw, then you don't understand the purpose of statistics. Statistics don't exist despite the impossibility of accounting for every individual case ? on the contrary, they exist because of this impossibility. Statistics are used so that we can say reasonable things about groups we do not have full information of. If we had all the information, then statistics wouldn't exist in the first place.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Ravek said:
SageRuffin said:
Statistics are inherently flawed simply because it doesn't account for every single applicable person. Of course the numbers seem like they're lying for that very reason.
If you think that's a flaw, then you don't understand the purpose of statistics. Statistics don't exist despite the impossibility of accounting for every individual case ? on the contrary, they exist because of this impossibility. Statistics are used so that we can say reasonable things about groups we do not have full information of. If we had all the information, then statistics wouldn't exist in the first place.
Goddamn right I don't, hence me saying that.

Do keep in mind this is simply personal observation. In no way did I even imply that I'm half right. I could just be seeing the worst of it all.