Videogame movies that WOULDN'T work.

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
Well, I just had a conversation with my brother about which games could be made into movies without departing too much from the original feel. But I just started wondering about games that couldn't make it into the silver screen. So I come to you, escapists, to ask you this: Which games couldn't be made into a movie?

Disclamer: This is NOT a thread to bash the story about a game you don't like.

My pick would be Rogue Legacy. Because it's a game about how the descendants of a legendary knight die in droves, making it difficult to have a protagonist.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I'm pretty sure you could make a decent movie out of almost any game. Although you'd have to change, rearrange, contract and sometimes outright mangle things to make it work.

For example, a Rogue Legacy movie could be about the descendant who finally realises that he/she doesn't even know why their family is so dead set on suicidally charging into Ye Olde Castle Deathtrap, and gives it up.

For a game that would truly never ever work you'd need to resort to something like Tetris or Breakout.

OpticalJunction

Jul 1, 2011
Any open world, sandbox RPG like Skyrim wouldn't really work since you'd need a linear plot and a very defined, fixed protagonist. It would necessarily go against the "be anyone, do anything" theme of the game.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Zhukov said:
...For a game that would truly never ever work you'd need to resort to something like Tetris or Breakout.
Or Battleship even. Ha ha! Too easy. Damn, that was directed by Peter Berg, who also directed Lone Survivor. Oh well.

Still waiting on that Space Invaders movie [http://www.screened.com/news/whats-next-pong-space-invaders-to-receive-film-adaptation/2535/], Hollywood. Come on, don't give up now! Think of the children. Think of the schadenfreude.

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
Zhukov said:
I'm pretty sure you could make a decent movie out of almost any game. Although you'd have to change, rearrange, contract and sometimes outright mangle things to make it work.
That's why I said videogame movies that would change the feel of the franchise way too much. The example you game wouldn't be really like the general lighthearted feel of Rogue Legacy.

schrodinger

Jul 19, 2013
More than half of AAA games today since a lot have become 'cinematic' to a point where it's redundant to make movies out of them, hell some are already movies *cough* metal gear *cough*. Also, the super mario games:p

on a reverse note, i believe parasite eve could work as a movie with its interesting story and characters. It would be awesome to see Aya on the silver screen.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Grach said:
Zhukov said:
That's why I said videogame movies that would change the feel of the franchise way too much. The example you game wouldn't be really like the general lighthearted feel of Rogue Legacy.
Eh. The "feel of the franchise" is a subjective and intangible thing.

And I still think you could make a lighthearted kid's cartoon out of Rogue Legacy.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
I sit in box. I check paper. I long since stopped checking person. Person do not exist. Only papers exist.

I stamp. Maybe call guards. Call in next. Then I go home and freeze.

Life in Glorious Arstotzka would not make good Amerikanskij film.

Only light of my life is amusing Jorji. Oh, he make me smiles. Perhaps he will one day pass.

http://i.imgur.com/HEy1DIE.png

I will of cry bitter tears that day.

No. It would not be very good movie.

Fireaxe

Sep 30, 2013
Muspelheim said:
No. It would not be very good movie.
It could be a pretty good short film if nothing else, and tbh I think it could be made into a decent movie if it was fleshed out.

windlenot

Archeoastronomist
Mar 27, 2011
Rock Band maybe? The story of a group of musicians people international superstars who hold concerts consisting of 1 cover tune? I guess it's possible, although it would be pretty damn silly.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
I am gonna be original and say Devil May Cry since player input is imperative in the franchise and apart from a few iconic moves, there is no way any live action chareography would do the moveset justice. Now before you point out to DMC anime, I will just say one thing: BOOOOOOOOOOOORING. Also the little girl was so stock.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
A live action pokemon with either overly realistic CGI.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Zelda games would never translate well to film. You would either have to make Link talk, or find some good reason to keep him silent. Watching Link explore dungeons and do little side quests for townsfolk would not be as fun or rewarding as it is in the games. People who don't know much about Zelda or video games would think it's just another medieval fantasy story so it would be hard to wrangle them in.

Really, any game that focuses more on gameplay over story would not translate very well. If you want to enjoy something known for great gameplay, just play the game then.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I don't think a movie about Minecraft would work that well. Civilization maybe, though there'd be a lot of controversy about Gandhi being a war hungry, nuke happy megalomaniac.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Hmm...My gut is telling me it would have to be a game that relies on its gameplay mechanics to add in its story telling. At the moment though there aren't many video games that are like that.

I want to say the Stanley Parable, but I'm sure that can be tweaked to comment on the limitations of movies since obviously you can't do a commentary on video games with a movie (or can you hmm?)

Journey would be another one, I think, the effect the audience has on the story probably wouldn't be the same on a different medium.

Little Inferno, for the same reasons as above.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Story said:
I want to say the Stanley Parable, but I'm sure that can be tweaked to comment on the limitations of movies since obviously you can't do a commentary on video games with a movie (or can you hmm?)
Stranger Than Fiction did the exact same hocus pocus in 2006, and it was already boring and gimmicky then.