Videogame Print is Dead - Finally

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
Videogame Print is Dead - Finally

The time of giant videogame magazines has passed, and we're all the better for it.

Read Full Article

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
The only thing I miss about news in periodical magazines is that, generally, it implies a greater level of quality control than when you get your news as fast as it can be twittered. I think at least one news story every week that gets copy pastad here is a troll, a hoax or something equally misinformed or fraudulent, & it does get annoying at times. We may have more & better sources of infomation for gaming news, but its still mostly either official press release material, or planted/purposely leaked info from official sources, or mere hearsay/gossip/made up.

Captain Bobbossa

Jun 1, 2009
I got bored and couldn't finnish reading it, it was just all becoming white noise and none of it made sence...

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
What's he talking about? There are many gaming magazines that are still going strong inc. Nintendo Power that has been with us for over 20 years. I don't really read magazines of any kind, but if there was one I'd put my trust in, it'd be Nintendo Power.

edgeofblade

Jan 8, 2009
I find GameInformer is worth while to an older audience. My step-father really prefers to get his news several inches off the bleeding edge. Traditional media is more reliable, and getting his news from a reliable source is important to him. Where blogs might be 30% rumors, 40% corporate spats, and another 30% actual game news; he's actually looking for a 10/5/85% split... and you get that more from a publication over a blog.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Honestly this was very round about. Your title makes it seem as if all print it dead.
I come here for discussions and expectations, I read gameinformer for actual news. Why? Because GameInformer is more about actual news than rumors and whatnot.
Also, try to make a point when you write, I'm not offended, it just seemed as is your point was longwinded, if there was a point.
The internet is great for looking up news (kind of) and for other things, but it will never take over print.

pigeon_of_doom

Vice-Captain Hammer
Feb 9, 2008
VanityGirl said:
Honestly this was very round about.
Yeah, slightly meandering article there. While I see how it was a necessary deviation into the nature of games news as presented in print and online, at the end of it all you haven't really proven anything. Pictures of a discontinued publication doesn't quite count as indisputable proof of your points. Got plenty of good stuff there but it never struck me as a satisfying article.

Maybe the position you've approached it from has somewhat altered your approach? You seem to take for granted the "fact" that gaming publications are vapid products, inconsequential in this new age of high speed information. My main problem was that, despite the abundance of good points it could have been two articles almost.

I'm open to the chance that I've spent too much time in User Reviews recently, and approach every piece of prose with an excessively critical attitude though.

Jsnoopy

Nov 20, 2008
As much as I like the escapist, nothing can beat my memories of lazy summer days spent leafing through the newest issue of EGM. Of course this was only a couple of years, not a decade ago. Given my impressions of the EGM's that I own, I have to say that it wasn't just internet sites and blogs that matured their (and the readers) view of gaming, but also EGM.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
I miss the good ol' days, when I was in middle school perusing PC Gamer and there was a dearth of interesting, cutting edge games to look forward to. Even if it was a childishly stale and pandering scene, it was great to be on the receiving end of the pap rather than watching companies feud over titles that get more derivative with each passing year.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Hmm, also don't see the point of this article here - it doesn't manage to confirm to me that videogame print is dead - like others, I do come here for discussion and really only the odd humerous video but to actually get news and such like on videogames, I'm still quite happy to wait util the latest copy of Edge gets pushed through my letterbox.

I find the wait to be worth it.

kspiess

May 19, 2009
"The floodgates were opened and now, I find myself beer bonging information on a daily basis."

Hehe, nice metaphor Tom.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Gaming news media doesn't have the guts to be actually referred to gaming news. They skipped straight from highly biased PR statements in a glass case to strangely excited blog-like rumour blabbering skipping the adult, objective journalism in between. (Present website notwithstanding. I get all my gaming news from the Escapist.)

And I've never read the real Nintendo Power (I'm not American, and while we have versions of it here I don't know how similar they are) I'm 100% sure that any magazine that covers a single company wouldn't be good at what they should be doing, since they have to pretend their consoles are the best or they'll risk alienating their audience.