Videogame Theater: Defenders of the Universe

Meshakhad_v1legacy

Feb 20, 2008
I actually liked this - it wasn't that funny, but I got the impression it wasn't aiming at that. It's an affectionate tribute, not a parody.

S_K

Nov 16, 2007
Although the characters acted less like dick holes then the donkeykong and pacman episodes, was 1 reference to space invaders, asteroids and possibly defender really a good enough excuse for a random as hell rap video episode? Well since it's mostly displeased comments here I would say no. If I didn't know better I'd say a pattern was emerging here with the comments for each episode too =P

SeaCalMaster

Jun 2, 2008
I guess it's getting better, but we're still not even close.
Please, Escapist! You won a Webby. You can do better than this crap.

Harry Tatcher

Jun 15, 2008
I loved it once again.

It's cracking me up that there are a half dozen posters who Keep Coming Back to this series just to say "this sucked... again" It's like they chug a glass of bleach and then have to take another drink (and another and another) just so they can say "bleh."

Over.

And over.

And over again.

You don't like it?

That's cool.

There's other good stuff on this site.

I think a big part of the hating on this series is that the topic of videogames are almost peripheral. In addition, most of the videogame references (if they are made at all) are to videogame characters or series that most of the gamers on this board are simply not familiar with. I mean how many here have ever played Zaxxon or Berserk?

Thing I liked most about this episode is that videogames are thrown entirely out the window and by the way, the hip hop was damn good too. That didn't hurt.

This series gets gamers' panties in a twist primarily because it's pretty clear there's a level of indifference (even contempt, which is fine by me. I love videogames, but I also can take a joke. Even one made at my expense) to videogames in the material. The episode starts off leading one to believe it might be about the old Williams arcade classic Defender, but then just trails off into a profane and raunchy hip hop video as if purely to stick a finger in the eye of uptight gamers.

This is similar to Halo Minute which was done by Channel 101 talent. They intentionally mishandled, mispronounced, and misreferenced the Halo source material (pronouncing Bungie as Bun-gey and "Major Chief") and the comments on YouTube were just livid. People didn't get it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buIi4_jDjxM

Brilliant.

Just keep rolling it, fellows.

Let the Haters hate.

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
Hey, I've just had a thought, Scott comes on here to defend plainly horrible videos, that we watch just to insult him. HE'S UWE BOLL!

iamerror

Jul 10, 2008
Overall, I have rather enjoyed VGT. It can be crude at times, but I always come back to see the next episode.

The Robotron rap was the best yet. Keep it coming!

jthompson7789

Jul 10, 2008
So...how much are they paying you guys to make this crap? Because whatever it is, it's too much. Just stop trying.

Gahars

Feb 4, 2008
sirdanrhodes said:
Hey, I've just had a thought, Scott comes on here to defend plainly horrible videos, that we watch just to insult him. HE'S UWE BOLL!
(*GASP*)

Well, that does explain a lot.

VGT Scott Chernoff

May 27, 2008
Harry Tatcher said:
I loved it once again.

It's cracking me up that there are a half dozen posters who Keep Coming Back to this series just to say "this sucked... again" It's like they chug a glass of bleach and then have to take another drink (and another and another) just so they can say "bleh."

Over.

And over.

And over again.

You don't like it?

That's cool.

There's other good stuff on this site.

I think a big part of the hating on this series is that the topic of videogames are almost peripheral. In addition, most of the videogame references (if they are made at all) are to videogame characters or series that most of the gamers on this board are simply not familiar with. I mean how many here have ever played Zaxxon or Berserk?

Thing I liked most about this episode is that videogames are thrown entirely out the window and by the way, the hip hop was damn good too. That didn't hurt.

This series gets gamers' panties in a twist primarily because it's pretty clear there's a level of indifference (even contempt, which is fine by me. I love videogames, but I also can take a joke. Even one made at my expense) to videogames in the material. The episode starts off leading one to believe it might be about the old Williams arcade classic Defender, but then just trails off into a profane and raunchy hip hop video as if purely to stick a finger in the eye of uptight gamers.

This is similar to Halo Minute which was done by Channel 101 talent. They intentionally mishandled, mispronounced, and misreferenced the Halo source material (pronouncing Bungie as Bun-gey and "Major Chief") and the comments on YouTube were just livid. People didn't get it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buIi4_jDjxM

Brilliant.

Just keep rolling it, fellows.

Let the Haters hate.
Thanks Harry! Interesting thoughts, hadn't thought about it that way before. Yeah, the response to those Halo Minutes was pretty hilarious, almost as funny as the videos. Glad you're here and of course, glad you loved "Defenders."

Thanks also to Goseman, Meshakhad, Melaisis, SteinFaust, and drawnbypain - and anyone else I forgot - glad you guys liked the episode! And Nadsat, props to you for still managing to find a way to insult us even while grudgingly admitting that you found "Defenders" to be well-written. On this board, we'll take what we can get! Same for the rest of you - no matter what your opinion (or how many times you repeat it), thanks for still taking the time to watch and, as Harry pointed out, continuing to come back.

Yes, VGT has been on MTV Europe (started with MTV Italy, to be specific -- though I don't know I'd call it "a big thing" there). The original pilot ("Pac-Man: The Insatiable Hunger") got such a cool response on the internets that they sought us out and let us make more episodes for them. One of my favorite shows, "Sifl and Olly," started out on MTV in England, as well as "Wondershowzen" on MTV2 -- so we were very excited to be part of that world. And of course we were then thrilled when approached by the Escapist, too. A few episodes of the show have also screened a couple places (GenCon last year, and the Knitting Factory in Hollywood); just yesterday, we were asked by a small video festival in New York City to screen "Donkey Kong vs. Mario" next month, after they saw it here - which is pretty cool. (Apparently, they didn't read the comments - let's nobody clue them in, OK?)

And Sammyfreak, special thanks for continuing to register your opinion without being needlessly hostile or adversarial -- here's hoping the next episode floats your boat!

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
*holds thumbs for Chess next time*

It could be a massive epic of racial conflict on a checkered landscape!

Squishface Mcgloop

May 28, 2008
I wouldn't watch that again if someone payed me to.
I'm going to go give myself a labotomy with hedge cliipers.
I'm going to get banned for saying this, aren't I? Russ Pitts i'll be a good boy.

Harry Tatcher

Jun 15, 2008
It's true.

I keep coming back.

That's because I like the content.

Coming back to something you like strikes me as rational.

KenzS

Jun 2, 2008
This was the best episode yet, which isn't a good thing.

I'm not saying this series is awful, infact its very original. I enjoy seeing puppet versions of video game characters. But the humor in it is VERY awful, so is the plot of each episode.

OriginalUsername

May 8, 2008
That was completely unfunny, and didn't really seem to be video game related at all, other than it featured a spaceship and so do some games...

At least it wasn't as cringe inducing as usual though.

VGT Scott Chernoff

May 27, 2008
OriginalUsername said:
That was completely unfunny, and didn't really seem to be video game related at all, other than it featured a spaceship and so do some games...
Classic videogames featured or referenced in "VGT: Defenders of the Universe" (off the top of my head):

Defender
Missile Command
Robotron 2084
Space Invaders
Asteroids
Zaxxon
Galaxian
Galaga
Tempest
Battle Zone
Berserk
N64 system

Know your history.

white-devil

Jul 15, 2008
Soo, I see what you did there when she sings "rain of fire". If I remember right Lavos from Chrono Trigger has a spell that sounds like that and that it shoots red lasers on the battlefield, I might just be plain wrong but it certainly feels like that when I listen to it.

Also, I love the song and lyrics (especially Robotron 2084) so keep up the good work.