Videogame Theater: Donkey Kong vs Mario: A Barrel of Hope

escapee

Feb 28, 2008
I agree with the majority this wasn't all that funny infact it made me chuckle once but that doesn't mean we shouldn't give it a chance.
I agree with Melaisis the backgrounds were dire they actually hurt my eyes I'd like to see puppets in real world like Fur TV which I find hilarious http://www.mtv.co.uk/channel/mtvuk/shows/furtv/home

Remember when De-rez first started .. Hitman for example then they got into their stride with Resident evil. Give Videogame Theater a chance =)

Logie--bear

TARDIS Stalker
Feb 2, 2008
VGT Scott Chernoff said:
Rayavaro said:
I thought it was pretty funny. Everyone's taste of humor just differs!
Thanks, Rayvaro... and thanks sort of Melaisis.

The rest of you, of course, couldn't be more wrong.

But I do sort of enjoy seeing how up-in-arms you get about a puppet video...
I don't think we have ever said "Oh no, a freaking puppet video". I think all we have said is how shit it is.

It's your video, I can understand you defending it as you made it, But mothers abandon their children all the time, Don't be afraid to say "Hey, I screwed up and made something truly horrible; Now how can I move on?"

Feb 13, 2008
VGT Scott Chernoff said:

I'm sure Uwe Boll said the same about Postal.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
I thought it had promise, but then I felt let down. It's interesting to note that "broken home" and "poor fathering" are recurring themes only two episodes in. You'd think the ideas might get spaced a little far apart. I think the puppeteering is fine. I think the writing is tired. It smacks of that late-night show mentality, the bit of filler in between the monologue and the first guest. I don't watch Kimmel, because it would cut into Conan. And Conan is funny because he has the good grace to laugh at how bad some of his own show's gimmicks are.

I don't think calling the rest of us "wrong" for not liking something is a good way to go about making it better (that's what you ought to be shooting for, right?). You're out here being compared (not contrasted) to Uwe Boll, for pete's sake. Maybe it's that Russ Pitts and drawn by pain showed some support for the last one, whatever. You're seeing negative reaction from people, and you're reacting negatively. Maybe it comes from every video on the escapist being compared to ZP's massive following. Yah, it's unfair, but De-Rez and Drawn By Pain have both built off of that. What worries me is that according to frankmeyer in the last VGT thread, there's 12 more episodes of this stuff, already made, that won't take into account the fact that people don't like its current incarnation. Which sounds to me like you're gonna trickle in, one episode per week, videos that are on par with this one and not to improve them until 3 months from now. Couldn't you spare us that and release, I dunno, 2+ episodes per week, let's say, so that if there's a gem out there (because they can't all be gems), we can at least see it, and so that you can go ahead and make new and (most importantly) better ones?

Logie--bear

TARDIS Stalker
Feb 2, 2008
HobbesMkii said:
I thought it had promise, but then I felt let down. It's interesting to note that "broken home" and "poor fathering" are recurring themes only two episodes in. You'd think the ideas might get spaced a little far apart. I think the puppeteering is fine. I think the writing is tired. It smacks of that late-night show mentality, the bit of filler in between the monologue and the first guest. I don't watch Kimmel, because it would cut into Conan. And Conan is funny because he has the good grace to laugh at how bad some of his own show's gimmicks are.

I don't think calling the rest of us "wrong" for not liking something is a good way to go about making it better (that's what you ought to be shooting for, right?). You're out here being compared (not contrasted) to Uwe Boll, for pete's sake. Maybe it's that Russ Pitts and drawn by pain showed some support for the last one, whatever. You're seeing negative reaction from people, and you're reacting negatively. Maybe it comes from every video on the escapist being compared to ZP's massive following. Yah, it's unfair, but De-Rez and Drawn By Pain have both built off of that. What worries me is that according to frankmeyer in the last VGT thread, there's 12 more episodes of this stuff, already made, that won't take into account the fact that people don't like its current incarnation. Which sounds to me like you're gonna trickle in, one episode per week, videos that are on par with this one and not to improve them until 3 months from now. Couldn't you spare us that and release, I dunno, 2+ episodes per week, let's say, so that if there's a gem out there (because they can't all be gems), we can at least see it, and so that you can go ahead and make new and (most importantly) better ones?
Or better yet, stop posting them?

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Well, personally, Logie--bear, I'm of the opinion that it's three strikes and you're out. I say they've fouled one (I didn't think pac-man was a complete miss) and whiffed one.

VGT Scott Chernoff

May 27, 2008
thedrop2zer0 said:
You should accept criticism of your work. It can help you to realize in what areas you need to improve. These videos are not funny. If humor is what you're striving for in these puppet videos, you are not achieving it. The majority of these comments agree with what I'm telling you.
And you guys should be able to accept criticism of your posts! I think I've been pretty upbeat in the face of some super-harsh comments. I can take the criticism if you can take the fact that I disagree with it.

Your thesis (and that of a few others) is that if a handful of anonymous message board dwellers say VGT sucks, then I should automatically agree, roll over, and apologize. That's silly. I love reading all the posts, but they are just a drop in the bucket, and hardly representative of the tens of thousands of people watching the videos. I wish you guys liked it, too, I really do -- but hey, them's the breaks.

Believe me, I'd much rather we were all friends, but I'm sure you'd agree that dialogue is a two-way street. My comment was pretty mild compared to some of the things said in here. If that mild comment touched such a nerve, you can imagine how yours feel on this end. But again, I can take it if you can. Like Frank said - we play with videogames and puppets, so we're used to getting beat up.

I read every comment here because it's a terrific distraction from the editing I should be doing right now. And I agree with Sibren - VGT is great stuff. I love it. If it's not your cup of tea, no one's forcing you to drink it. If it is, enjoy!

Squishface Mcgloop

May 28, 2008
sirdanrhodes said:
Last week gave me a mild chuckle, this time, it felt like a challenge to finish the video.
The best bit was the advert advertising (the great) de-rez, so let me wrap up.

ESCAPIST MAGAZINE, >De-rez >Z.P. >Kung fu grip are the ONLY good videos on the escapist.
Kung Fu grip?! Bwhahahahahaahahahahhaa. That's hilarious.

Although seriously, VGT. I can't help but say that DK:A barrel of hope is the worst thing i've ever seen on zp, almost the worst on the internet. Please, and I mean please. Take this off.

Squishface Mcgloop

May 28, 2008
You know what? That's a bit harsh. I agree that it had it's moments, but you really should take more time carefully writing the cameos from other video games, as that is what interests the majority of your audience, and try not to recycle the same reccuring jokes. I.E. Cruelness, Stupid Monkey, Obscene Depictions by mario of how he'll sexually interact with Peach. Mix it up a little. How about you give luigi his own little moment about being the understudy? Although I have to say I loved seeing DK.JR play the Atari 2600. I hope these get better as they go along, and you learn from your mistakes. I saw the video through to the end, so I must have found something I liked from it, just try to aim more towards the video game audience than the comedic audience.

VGT Scott Chernoff

May 27, 2008
Squishface Mcgloop said:
Although I have to say I loved seeing DK.JR play the Atari 2600.
Actually, he was using a 2600 joystick but the game was a Vectrex. (Anyone remember Vectrex?) Glad you liked it.

Rayavaro

May 26, 2008
Squishface Mcgloop said:
sirdanrhodes said:
Last week gave me a mild chuckle, this time, it felt like a challenge to finish the video.
The best bit was the advert advertising (the great) de-rez, so let me wrap up.

ESCAPIST MAGAZINE, >De-rez >Z.P. >Kung fu grip are the ONLY good videos on the escapist.
Kung Fu grip?! Bwhahahahahaahahahahhaa. That's hilarious.

Although seriously, VGT. I can't help but say that DK:A barrel of hope is the worst thing i've ever seen on zp, almost the worst on the internet. Please, and I mean please. Take this off.
The thing is, no matter how much you gripe about wanting to get the video removed. It's probably not going to happen. These videos are trying to tap into a different demographic than what the Escapist is usually shooting for. I'm pretty sure most of the guys here are 25 or over. This kind of comedy I think is more built towards the younger crowd like me which has as of yet not crossed that line. I think it's funny how people find humor in ZP and not this. Sure they are different genres of comedy, but all together they both fall under the same umbrella which this all focus towards and that's VIDEO GAMES if you didn't know already. So I think it is unfounded when most of the people come on here and bash this kind of video when they are not the ones it's being targeted too. I found it funny, but what does that say about me? I like this kind of stuff!

Dante_Alucard

May 16, 2008
VGT Scott Chernoff said:
thedrop2zer0 said:
You should accept criticism of your work. It can help you to realize in what areas you need to improve. These videos are not funny. If humor is what you're striving for in these puppet videos, you are not achieving it. The majority of these comments agree with what I'm telling you.
And you guys should be able to accept criticism of your posts! I think I've been pretty upbeat in the face of some super-harsh comments. I can take the criticism if you can take the fact that I disagree with it.

Your thesis (and that of a few others) is that if a handful of anonymous message board dwellers say VGT sucks, then I should automatically agree, roll over, and apologize. That's silly. I love reading all the posts, but they are just a drop in the bucket, and hardly representative of the tens of thousands of people watching the videos. I wish you guys liked it, too, I really do -- but hey, them's the breaks.

Believe me, I'd much rather we were all friends, but I'm sure you'd agree that dialogue is a two-way street. My comment was pretty mild compared to some of the things said in here. If that mild comment touched such a nerve, you can imagine how yours feel on this end. But again, I can take it if you can. Like Frank said - we play with videogames and puppets, so we're used to getting beat up.

I read every comment here because it's a terrific distraction from the editing I should be doing right now. And I agree with Sibren - VGT is great stuff. I love it. If it's not your cup of tea, no one's forcing you to drink it. If it is, enjoy!
Thats a good point we should all stop watching it if we don't like it. Then nobody but the people who watch it and in enjoy should comment on the next one, but you know that will not happen. I can honestly say I will not watch the next one until it gets 20 good comments just so you can get some good reviews of it in. I mean not including the guys from the escapist. I will save my comments until after i watch it all; even if I have to tape my lids open. I say we all who said it sucked should do this. I'm not telling anyone they have to but if we do maybe we can show the escapist how much we dislike it. Sorry if you do not like this comment but this is how I feel about it.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
Whatever your opinions on the humor (and I'm sure they are still feeling the audience out), the puppeteering and production quality were great. Very reminiscent of Crank Yankers, which had puppets from the same guy (BJ Guyer), and I remember as being hilarious.

I think once they find their target for the jokes, this series will be top notch.

Gahars

Feb 4, 2008
VGT Scott Chernoff said:
Rayavaro said:
I thought it was pretty funny. Everyone's taste of humor just differs!
Thanks, Rayvaro... and thanks sort of Melaisis.

How can we be wrong? It's an opinion.

Gahars

Feb 4, 2008
VGT Scott Chernoff said:
That was my way of saying I disagree with your opinion. (Insert smiley face emoticon here.)
Right.

To be honest, and blunt, the past two really were really bad. I know you and others worked hard to make this series, but it is no where near as good as you seem to think it is.

However, instead of denying this negative feedback, use it to your advantage. Go back to the drawing board.

Just my two cents.

VGT Scott Chernoff

May 27, 2008
Not denying that your feedback has been negative, Gahars. Keep those posts coming, folks - glad you're watching and hope you enjoy the next one!