Videogame Theater: Donkey Kong vs Mario: A Barrel of Hope

Mogsam

Jun 4, 2008
De Rez changed cast, writers and drastically changed style. These have already been made. Slightly differnt situation

Copter400

Sep 14, 2007
Logie--bear said:
Rayavaro said:
I'm pretty sure most of the guys here are 25 or over. This kind of comedy I think is more built towards the younger crowd like me which has as of yet not crossed that line. I think it's funny how people find humor in ZP and not this. Sure they are different genres of comedy, but all together they both fall under the same umbrella which this all focus towards and that's VIDEO GAMES if you didn't know already. So I think it is unfounded when most of the people come on here and bash this kind of video when they are not the ones it's being targeted too. I found it funny, but what does that say about me? I like this kind of stuff!
I'm 16. And I enjoyed Crank Yankers. This isn't anywhere near my cup of tea.
I'm fifteen, bizzaz. Not all youth are into this stuff.

usernamed

Dec 22, 2007
The first one of these was painfully predictable, but I said I'd give the second one a watch. The humour is not to my taste, it seems aimed at the eleven to thirteen age group and I'm not certain that's home territory for the Escapist.

Pac-Man requires a knowledge of videogame history that puts the target audience at thirty-something, but the humour seems aimed at a much younger viewer. The characters chosen suggest that the Escapist would be a good fit for these videos, but the 'juvenile' style of humour seems more suited to a site with a much younger demographic. (Unless that's just what the editorial team are hoping to attract with these videos)

Lastly, I see nothing in Scott's responses that suggest that he's looking to improve on what he's already done. If there was an element of 'We're really going to work on improving this when we write some more', then I'd have some cause for optimism. Actually, all I hear is 'These are great, you're all wrong' which means that even if another 12 get written when the current 'series' have all been shown, they'll do the same sorry thing all over again.

I'm not going to watch any more of these, my personal opinion is that it fails as comedy and it's misplaced at the Escapist. (But I'm just an anonymous message board dweller)

Harry Tatcher

Jun 15, 2008
I gotta say, I'm a little disappointed that the same people who appreciate the raw third rail brilliance of Zero Punctuation (and the man is brilliant, make no mistake) cannot see the same quality in Scott's work.

I'm not going to explain the humor, because that is always a fool's errand. Akin to describing the color blue to a blind man. I've been a longtime fan of Channel 101 and Channel 101 NY (Channel 102) from way back. I'd rather watch any one of their "failed" pilots on any given night than 99% of the content on cable.

I'll go one step further... Channel 101 (of which Scott is a cornerstone member) is the most potent collection of comedic talent -- easily on par with Monty Python, SCTV, or the Not Ready for Prime Time Players -- to come down the pike in a long, long while. Too bold? Is my fanboy showing? Time will validate that remark, whether it meets with approval here or not.

Too much brown nosing? Take it.

And by dribs and drabs, their group is penetrating the mainstream.

I loved (loved, not liked) both of the VGT episodes and eagerly anticipate future installments.

Finally, if you go to these sites, peruse some of Scott's work, and can't find SOMETHING amusing, I honestly don't know what to say to you. You're lost, brother.

Andy and Scott videos
http://www.andyandscott.com/video.htm

Scott Chernoff at Channel 101
http://www.channel101.com/talent/talent.php?talent_id=23

The Escapist's new direction is exciting to behold and the community is privileged to have Scott's work, whether they realize it or not. Two episodes in, I loved them both, but the best is yet to come.

Also, I find some of the remarks directed at Scott condescending. As if he somehow "needs to improve" in order to receive a delicious vanilla wafer and a pat on the head for his efforts. This guy is Iverson with ankle breaking crossovers. He'll get his shot off.

Appreciate.

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
I liked this one alot more then the last one. Not funny, but rather sweet.

Let's hope they keep improving!

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
thedrop2zer0 said:
Harry Tatcher said:
I gotta say, I'm a little disappointed that the same people who appreciate the raw third rail brilliance of Zero Punctuation (and the man is brilliant, make no mistake) cannot see the same quality in Scott's work.
They are not the same quality. Most of the Zero Punctuation episodes are side-splitting hilarious. Yahtzee has received thousands of comments singing his praises. VGT has gotten mostly negative feedback, with the odd complement thrown in here and there. The only good thing Video Game Theater has is the theme song. (Seriously, that's a cool song.) Other than that, VGT has nothing going for it.
To be honest popularity doesn't always reflect quality as the wonder of modern media has tought us.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
To be honest popularity doesn't always reflect quality.
Neither do forum posts, really. In any case, I can't speak for Frank, Scott and BJ, but I suspect they appreciate constructive criticism, as do the rest of our contributors (not so much me :) ). Scott, for one, has shown a superhuman tolerance for animosity in his repsonses here, and for that I thank him.

I know a lot of folks enjoy this series and it's been a welcome addition to The Escapist. Like it or hate it though, I only ask that you guys here in the forum not get all stupid, and please try to respect that there are ACTUAL LIVE PEOPLE (gasp) behind these things, not forum robots like yourselves ;).

Let's keep it civil and respectful and constructive and there won't have to be any bloodhsed or tears. Capice?

Harry Tatcher

Jun 15, 2008
sammyfreak said:
To be honest popularity doesn't always reflect quality as the wonder of modern media has tought us.
Agreed.

I can appreciate that the majority of these comments are clearly running against these videos. That's cool. Everyone is welcome to their opinions.

I will say that most Channel 101 videos posted to YouTube seem to garner extremely small viewership. The one exception is the satirical Kicked in the Nuts. Which is clearly a parody of the mass appeal of nut busters. However, I don't think most people who watch Kicked in the Nuts appreciate the irony. They just like to see a good nad thrashing (and honestly now, who doesn't?). I guess more people are going to find America's Funniest Home Videos amusing than say... Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Although, Larry David's Seinfeld received massive popular acclaim, in the same way that Zero Punctuation is hailed by a larger community of fans. So sometimes (though rarely, in my opinion) popularity across a broad spectrum does reflect on quality.

It could be argued also, that Scott's work IS hailed in broader acclaim than even ZP. I don't know Scott's affiliation with Crank Yankers, for example, but perhaps the sheer number of eyeballs watching that show (a show which never appealed to me) is on par with the number viewing ZP. I don't know.

And then there is also the consideration that this thread is not truly reflective of the broadest reaction to these videos. How many unique people have panned this? Six? And are people who are generally displeased more likely to comment?

Think of a busker in the subway.

Maybe of 100 people who pass, 80 are neutral, 10 are interested, 8 are entertained, and 2 are offended and stop to loudly express their displeasure. If only the 2 stop, the impression the artist may come away with is that they suck. While, in fact, 98% were largely ambivalent or even outright entertained.

All I know is I find both ZP and VGT frickin' hilarious and my opinion cannot be voted into irrelevancy. To each his own, I suppose.

VGT Scott Chernoff

May 27, 2008
Harry Tatcher said:
I don't know Scott's affiliation with Crank Yankers, for example, but perhaps the sheer number of eyeballs watching that show (a show which never appealed to me) is on par with the number viewing ZP.
Just to give credit where it's due, BJ Guyer (VGT's puppet producer) is the one who worked on Crank Yankers (and did an amazing job). My affiliation with Crank Yankers was as a viewer.

More importantly - thanks, Harry. Your two posts are like a cool drink of water in a trek across an unforgiving desert. Much appreciated, and totally refreshing. Thanks also, Sammyfreak -- glad you liked the episode. And of course, thanks Russ for all your support for the show (and for calling me superhuman) (and for using the word capice).

Just one more week until episode #3!

CanadianWolverine

Feb 1, 2008
I didn't know where else to put this but I just watched the "trailer" at the end of another video (*cough*Yahtzee*cough*) and well, I need to take back that statement about avoiding these videos, maybe I just got suckered but it actually looks like this series is going to get better aka more silly. Scott, will ya let me take it back till I feel like roasting the series after the next vid? :p I blame the absurdity of puppet nudes and other potentially more groan but giggle worthy content I saw in that trailer...

foodstamps_lobster

Jun 18, 2008
I was previously one of the silent tens of thousands of viewers that keep getting referenced in these comments. I swing by The Escapist to watch a few videos (mainly ZP, naturally) and have never before really felt the need to register. But between these videos and the contributor's comments, I felt it pertinent.

These videos aren't to my sense of humor in the slightest. They remind me of a lot of the shows on television that seem to think randomness plus swearing equates to humor. It really doesn't, in my opinion, and that seems to be the overwhelming stance of the viewers. Please don't just ignore and brush off feedback just because it isn't what you want to hear. I'm glad you like your work (as well you should), and I'm glad you've gotten positive reinforcement on it in the past. However, you seem to be disregarding the fact that the reviews in this particular demographic are vastly negative. It isn't because we're "wrong" and it isn't because everyone who likes it is being mysteriously silent. Maybe you're facing a different demographic. Maybe the humor style has been worn out since the last time you presented. I don't know, but I do know that any creator who opts to ignore his or her viewers isn't doing anyone any favors.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
I've got to say,

This video does NOT belong on the virtual pages of the Escapist magazine.
Articles like "The Anatomy of Violence" belong here.
Deliciously cynical video game criticisms in the form of "Zero Punctuation" belong here.
The (sometimes hit-or-miss) gamer parodies of "De-Rez" belong here.

"Video Game Theatre" does not belong here. It is for a completely different audience, where completely different people will like it for completely different reasons.

I happen to believe that the people who read the Escapist magazine visit the website looking for media that will appeal to their tastes. Most of the media on this website does appeal to those specific tastes. Sadly, VGT does not.

Escapist readers generally will not like this kind of humour. And I wouldn't count on them changing their mind.

Kraige

Jun 19, 2008
I feel like I need to point out a few thing with this vid first it's not the princess in the Donkey Kong game it's Paulie (Princess Peach was only from the Mario Bros. platformer on) and shame on you for trying to make a video and not knowing that, it wasn't Mario in that game either he was called jumpman also Donkey Kong Jr is the Donkey gong of now not Diddy you see the Donkey kong from the first DK game is called Kranky Kong now and his son is the new Donkey Kong (since DK Country) and Diddy kong is Donkey Kong (Jr's) nephew.
Now anyone who didn't know that has been taught a lesson in VG icons I'll give my impressions on the video, I hated it not only for the mistakes I mentioned but for the fact that it just plain wasn't funny OR clever in anyway and a big fact to this is when someone makes a comment basicaly calling everyone idiot's for commenting with their opinion on their product its what comments are for, yes we "respect" you for making a video but it sucked so try doing something you know about and are good at instead and you won't have your feelings hurt.
Now please take this video down and cancel the series.

MercFox1

Jun 19, 2008
I'm a bit new to "The Escapist" so I am unfamiliar with the level of quality that is usually exhibited here (Zero Punctuation notwithstanding as the series that put Escapist on my radar), however, after seeing a preview for VGT after one of Yahtzee's videos, I was looking forward to this.

The concept is pretty good, but the execution needs some solid work. Mostly it revolves around the writing; I actually thought the barrel rolling part was pretty good, up until DK shot himself and I lost all hope for the episode. =( Both the Pac-Man video and this had it's moments, like when Mario said he'd use the money to move out of Luigi's apartment or when Pac-Man was seeing the ghosts and getting all tripped out on those pills. Unfortunately, though, a good portion of the series so far isn't funny because it's trying to be a video-game take on late night comedy and not a late-night take on video games.

If you want an idea of something people who frequent the Escapist might find funny, why not do an angle on if Link from "Legend of Zelda" turned out to be tone deaf, and every time he played the Ocarina of Time, he ended up getting himself and his fairy friend in trouble? Eventually he just defeats Ganondorf by simply playing the Ocarina so much he can't stand the brutally bad music and passes out.

I'd laugh at that, since I always wondered how the heck he could get the music right on the first time anyways, despite being a small, combat-inclined boy with not a lot of prior music experience.

Heck, even a segment about the driver from Spy Hunter trying to get automobile insurance would be funny, if done right.